Eduard - Academy 1/48 P-38J "Pacific Lightenings"

Here’s a recent build I did to take a break from 1/25 cars and to get into a P-38 mood before indulging in the sublime Tamiya P-38F kit in my stash. This is from the Eduards “Pacific Lightenings” kit from 2013 based on the Academy kit and which also included resin cockpit/ wheels/ misc parts, masks and very nice set of Cartograph decals. I used various Alclad metal lacquers over a black enamel base for the external surfaces and Tamiya acrylics for the cockpit and wheel bays. This Academy kit proved a little fussier than a previous one I recall doing about 10 years ago (maybe I’m a fussier builder in my older age?). I may still add a little smoke and weathering but thought I’d stop for now with it looking like an air show hanger queen. The original was flown by Lt. Richard L. West, 35th FS, 8th FG, Owi (island off coast of Papau) July 1944. He bagged two in this and six in his previous P-40. Amazing to me that they could keep these things flying on and off those hot sandy wet muddy bug-infested islands....amazing heroic days in aviation history.

I’m looking forward to doing the Tamiya kit and hopefully experiencing a little more fun and a little less drama. Not perfect but good enough for me these days at a meter or two!

Cheers,

John

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 32

I can only echoe SAT69! A wonderful NMF finish ! I just notice that I never build a 48er….😨

so now I am looking forward for your Tamiya one!

Cheers

Andy