Siemens - Schuckert D.IV Lozenge Fabric Question

NORTHDUK

I've begun work on the Roden Siemens Schuckert D.IV kit and I need to start applying the lozenge fabric to the wings.  Looking at the few photographs I can find, I can't make out if these aircraft were finished in four or five colour lozenge and can't tell if the fabric was applied spanwise or chordwise.  Does anyone know?

Best wishes,

Gordon McLaughlin

Hello, Gordon

According to Windsock booklet it is five colour lozenge pattern, applied at 45° on upper surfaces of the upper wings and spanwise on upper surfaces lower wings. Spanwise application on upper elevator surface, too, but in opposite orientation to lower wings. Windsock refers to photos of D.III 8341/17, which confirm this description, as do photos of D.III 8346/17 and D.III 1620/18 in Aeronaut book. However, a photo of D.IV 3082/18 in Aeronaut book seems to show spanwise application on upper wing surfaces. Cheers

Jure

Jure,

Thanks for your reply.  If I go for 45 degree on the upper wing, does the direction remain the same across the whole span or do the diagonal strips lean in towards the centre section so that those on the port wing lean to the right and those on the starboard wing lean to the left?  Do you know if the pattern is the same on the undersides as on the upper surfaces?

I'm inclined to go for the spanwise option on the upper wing to simplify the application but haven't decided yet.

Thanks again for your help with this.  My references are limited and photographs on line are almost impossible to interpret.

Best wishes,

Gordon

Hello, Gordon

Direction was the same across the whole span. Description for lower surfaces says that "presumably" it matches upper surfaces orientation. Also: "Possibly it ran at 90° to the topside pattern, or may have been parallel as noted on at least one D.IV."

If it helps, I can send you a photo of D.IV 3082/18 I mentioned, which (possibly) shows spanwise application. Just PM me your e-mail address. Cheers

Jure

Jure,

Thanks for your reply.

A check of my decals shows that I have some 5 colour lozenge so I shall start on this in the next few days, all being well.  Between them, your two messages have given me all the information needed get this build finished so I should be OK without the photograph.

I'm really grateful to you for your help with this.  Without it, I should have had to rely on guesswork with the usual results!

Best wishes,

Gordon