Hertz Shelby Mustang - The Original

Spiny

Just remember that we all notice the imperfections in our own kits, and tend to (metaphorically) gloss over those on the pictures of others' models. This one has a few imperfections which for a change the camera doesn't seem to be picking up, especially in the paintwork. Just hoping I don't get the usual end-of-build snafu which has struck most of my models.

• Like 2

More progress over the weekend, and I'm almost done. I think if I get on the bench next weekend I will make the deadline as all bits are painted, so just got to stick the number plates onto the plasticard I cut out and painted for them, and fit the remaining pieces. Now, for how I got here...

First of all the engine bay. First job once the chassis and body are together is to fit the parts which fit onto the edges of the engine bay. The diagonal bracing bar is easy although the instructions appear to show it going in upside down, the radiator is also apart from me missing a bit of black paint around the horns and having to touch that up. The remaining bits are easy enough to apply, but not so easy to hold in place while the glue sets.

51547637070_c254432327_b.jpg

Then we move around the back. Here everything fitted easily, apart from having to drill out the holes for the rear lights and badge. No drama here. The instructions would have you paint the reversing light lenses white, but I went with a later of matt clear covered by a layer of gloss clear. The end result is probably a bit better than the photo suggests.

51546956908_5943b29a2e_b.jpg

Finally, back to the front. The headlights are easy to fit, but to my eyes look a little flat/shallow when installed. The grille by contrast was a pain. I probably should have sanded the sides down a bit to make it fit easier, but instead I pushed it into place. It fitted, but at the cost of the radiator and a front wheel coming loose, and somehow (no idea how as I didn't put any pressure there) the top of the rear window came loose too. Fortunately the bottom stayed in place, so I was able to apply some more resin to the top of the window and push the window up with a cotton bud through the side window. The front valance was superglued as I needed it to set quite quick and solidly as there's not a lot of contact area and it kept wanting to fall off. In the end, I left the car propped up vertically on the back bumper while this part dried.

51546714626_b22d8643a7_b.jpg

Just a shame the light is reflecting in the worst bit of paint on the whole model in that photo!

So there we are, just a few bits to add next week (assuming no catastrophies) and I should meet the deadline. Thanks for looking.

• Like 7

Good news - I've just managed to get this finished in time for the original deadline. Yes, completion number 3 is here :party:

In truth there wasn't a lot left to do, and the last bits on the engine went on very quickly. So here's a picture of the engine bay before I added the bonnet.

51569743838_aee58b35d8_b.jpg

Less successful was the waxing of the body during which I managed to knock both bumpers off. The rear bumper went on pretty well, but for the front bumper I wasn't happy with how it was going, so removed the two pegs on the back (which to my eyes were pulling the bumper down too low) and fitted it by eye. Second time around it seems to have gone on ok. The bonnet also didn't want to sit down properly at first either, but that was merely the result of too much paint on the hinges - scraping off some of the excess paint on the hinges means that it sits properly now.

The glue on the number plates is drying now, so all that's left is to get the shots for the gallery and RFI thread. I'll put one in here as well once I've got them. I have to say that for an old kit this one has gone together really well, and is probably well up there amongst my best results even though (or should that be because?) it's one of the simpler kits I'e done. Happy with the result on this.

Thanks for looking everyone. Now I'll leave you all with your own Mustangs. :)

• Like 8

It's up in the gallery now, but I guess the done thing is to put a finished photo in here too.

51574323039_0b7c5c862b_b.jpg

Once again, thanks to everyone who encouraged me on this build and all who watched it come together.

• Like 11

Thanks, but it's some way short of perfection, there's a few bits there which aren't as good as I'd like them to be, not to mention a couple of areas where the paint isn't as smooth as I'd like.

Also, compared to many on here I have had it quite easy as I just did mine exactly as Revell supplied it so no faffing around with extra bits and pieces which may not fit correctly without modificaiton.

• Like 2