Jules Verne, but not the one you're expecting

JOCKNEY

I have been really looking forward to this GB, and as a co-host wanted to try to set a good example.

So, with the amazing range of potential subjects, and not wanting to go for something too easy or mainstream, what to go for....

When I saw this in the Stash I knew it was just right

IMG_5946

As the build title say, I'm going to build "Jules Verne" who should be much more famous for what this aircraft did.

It was the first Allied aircraft to bomb Berlin in WW2, I'll be telling the story of its flight and career during the build. So this is another placeholder until I get some existing Builds finished.

Bon chance mon amis

Cheers Pat

• Like 24

2 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

That’s a Halifax nose grafted onto..........something.

No, it's a bus shelter grafted onto the front of an aircraft in traditional inter war French fashion.

Great choice Pat, welcome to the GB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Looking forward to following this @JOCKNEY, what an interesting and unusual aircraft, one that has "flown" under my radar......[see what I did then ?........oh, never mind ] !

You certainly manage to find some interesting kits ! Cudos !

Rog

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

That’s a Halifax nose grafted onto..........something.

Looking forward to seeing this one come together👍

Trevor

They did a Charles de Gaulle version but it was too nose heavy to take off ! :giggle:

I always was a sucker for good looks :wink: 

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Hi Pat,

you are a sucker for horribly difficult kits!

Look at all these long thingies that join all parts of this barely squared-off tree trunk! And the long thingies have got shorter, thinner thingies attached to them!

It is not too late to say that it was all a dreadful mistake due to a recurring condition (leave that blank).

Just trying to be helpful!

Have fun.

JR

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Pat,

you are a sucker for horribly difficult kits!

Look at all these long thingies that join all parts of this barely squared-off tree trunk! And the long thingies have got shorter, thinner thingies attached to them!

It is not too late to say that it was all a dreadful mistake due to a recurring condition (leave that blank).

Just trying to be helpful!

Have fun.

JR

Thanks JR, it just wouldn't feel right going for something "shake and bake" Tamigawa style, it would be tantamount to cheating  !

Besides it's a chance for a Brit to tell people a bit about French history, that's just far too tempting to resist  :giggle:

cheers Pat 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

OMG I just noticed how those engines were mounted.....or not so mounted!!!  :yikes:

Are you sure that wasn't really an overweight glider with engines that dropped off after takeoff!!

From the instructions it looks to be a nice model until it's time to mount those engines......that looks fun. :whistle:  

You are a source of amazement with some of the beasts you show up with...good luck.

• Like 3

When I read the topic name I thought "ok, Farman". But I should not expect it, right? So maybe this one

1280px-Jules_verne_at_iss.jpg

??? 

Then I opened the thread and saw what I have initially expected :)

Good luck Pat, this is a good kit although requires some skill (that you surely have) to have it built

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No spoilers from me, but I've read about this aircraft's remarkable exploits and am looking forward to your build!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

NIce one Pat.

Somewhat better looking than the military 223 it was derived from, and the earlier 222 which was pretty ugly.

This will be an interesting and unusual subject.

Pete

• Thanks 1

Another big kit Pat - not as long a fuselage as the Stirling but around 20' more wingspan - you seem to be in a big phase at the moment. Always fancied a 222 myself - ugly planes have a lot of character!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

Hello

This is a really nice choice with this four engine bomber which was the first to drop bombs over Berlin.

Ok, I built her many years ago and this was not an easy one.

Be strong !

Patrick

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Seeing all these great builds getting started I'm getting very jealous but I must finish my other builds first.

I've also started to find other potential builds as well for this GB, must resist...... :talktothehand:

• Like 1

Having had a look at the instructions the interior is described as dark blue, any idea what Humbrol or Revell colour would be suitable ?

The other frightening discovery was that not all the bits needed are included, you also have to make some of the struts  !

Thank goodness I was beginning to worry it was going to be too easy :whistle:

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Having had a look at the instructions the interior is described as dark blue, any idea what Humbrol or Revell colour would be suitable ?

The other frightening discovery was that not all the bits needed are included, you also have to make some of the struts  !

Thank goodness I was beginning to worry it was going to be too easy :whistle:

In 2005 when I built this one I used Xtracolor X377 Bleu de Mirage inside. Here is the result so you can use something close.

And yes there are many things to adjust on this kit. Anyway in the end I discovered a big mistake and for sure my aircraft could not have flown.😀

spacer.png

Patrick

• Like 3

3 hours ago, VG 33 said:

In 2005 when I built this one I used Xtracolor X377 Bleu de Mirage inside. Here is the result so you can use something close.

And yes there are many things to adjust on this kit. Anyway in the end I discovered a big mistake and for sure my aircraft could not have flown.😀

spacer.png

Patrick

Hi Patrick 

Can you post a link to your build if you have one, it would be really useful. 

Cheers Pat 

Nice subject (I enjoy using the 222 and 223 in War Thunder due to the massive number of tiny bombs it can carry) I've never seen a kit of one or it go together, so will be watching the progress.

• Like 2

Hi Pat,

If it is meant to be "Bleu Interior" then IPMS Stockholm say it is a dark blue and suggest the following Humbrol mix - 15x25 +14x101 + 10x33. No idea what that looks like but sounds like a dark greenish blue.

Pete

• Like 2