1/72 Spitfire from Spares!!!

While rummaging through my spares I sorted out all my Spit bits that include kit leftovers, resin AM stuff and other remnant spares.  It seemed to me that I can actually make a complete one..... well almost.   But what I do need are  a pair of radiator tubs for the wing undersides but have lots of spares to make up the main build. Spare parts left over from an Eduard kit, AZ Models kits make the bulk of the parts in my Spitfire spares stash.

It will be a bit like a full size resto with bits coming from all around??!!!

1Here are some pics:

oXtqCu.jpg

The main parts taped together to check what parts will fit and how much filler. plus any adjustments  are needed. The upper wing halves are from the new Airfix Vc,( note the wing root gap and a bit at the root leading edge) Fuselage from AZ Mk IX,......
Tp6JnV.jpg

.... underwing part from a Sword Mk. XIV.  I need the radiator tubs  or might need to scratch build them.   The fit of this underwing part is pretty good and slots in well with the AZ kit fuselage. Also if you look at thetip undersides, there is a 2 to 3 mm gap that can easily be sorted with some microstrip and tidied up.

XgTyoS.jpg

Just some of my spares that can /could be used.  The Airfix upper wing halves fit the Sword kit lower wing quite well except for the gap to the underside near to the tips and upper wing root area, but otherwise all else line up OK.

GKS0E1.jpg

More of my spares A Mk.XIV and a couple more Mk.IX fuselages and several tail planes and stuff.
CPVrr8.jpg

Lots of Eduard sits including most of the cockpit etc. 

I have virtually everything like canopies wheels legs  and their covers exhausts and so on, except the radiator tubs! Oh and maybe a decent four blade prop. I have lots of 3 bladers if anyone cares to do a swap.

I am thinking I could make a decent early Mk.IX with the small carb intake( I thought I had a spare one but that was donated to 'Phat Trev'

Any advice comments , tips etc most welcome.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• Paul J changed the title to 1/72 Spitfire from Spares!!!

I decided that I will press on with this and so here are some progress pics.

Elzk9o.jpg

Layout of parts that will be used for this project.  The prop is an Aeroclub one given to me by a mate last year, the rads were sent by someone else( not sure if he is a BMer) and the rest from aforementioned left overs from AZ, Airfix, Eduard and Sword.
EOa7BT.jpg

To blank off the rad area I stuck in some pieces of black plastic card which will be trimmed so the rad covers will fit.
RpxIfS.jpg

The cockpit area in progress with the bformers from the Eduard kit and a 'floor' started with some rod....
WcO9YR.jpg

WuqqwP.jpg

JAjEsK.jpg

The wing parts glued together....
ts0VXW.jpg

nd the underside showing where some form of filler for the gaps is needed.
NOKHiY.jpg

rdKbhS.jpg

In the above pic, you can see a piece of microstrip( the ones I have have date back to the 1970s and are by Slaters)
4VKWrj.jpg

Just some trimming and sanding will sort it out hopefully.
dfIKj1.jpg

Here, the resin rad s are in place. I believe they are from CMR. And some gaps to be rendered at the flap hinge lines.
nlc5IA.jpg

Exhausts fitted. I found a bunch of these in my spares and these are resin from a Quickboost packet.  Note the big root gap!!
JUR3OU.jpg

Since the above, the gaps pointed out have all been treated and are in process of sanding down an finishing.   I still need to add the seat in the cockpit and another appeal to all out there for a suitable clear cockpit canopy. The spares I have are for bubble tops and earlier marks. So if anyone has a spare Mk.9 canopy they can spare i will be grateful.

• Like 7

Wow that’s going to be a good looking frankenSpitfire (sorry I have used the oil cooler you kindly sent me!, I have done the same on a few occasions.. bah won’t be using that part.. weeks down the line, oh wait that would be ideal for...) good luck sourcing bits you need, will have a look for some MkIX radiators, might have some.

1 hour ago, phat trev said:

Wow that’s going to be a good looking frankenSpitfire (sorry I have used the oil cooler you kindly sent me!, I have done the same on a few occasions.. bah won’t be using that part.. weeks down the line, oh wait that would be ideal for...) good luck sourcing bits you need, will have a look for some MkIX radiators, might have some.

Hi Andy. I am now OK for the rads, just need a decent mark 9 style canopy! As for the chin intake, I have got the earlier smaller one that has come from the Eduard kit but need to ascertain it's exact position. Apart from that,all is fine. Have yet to decide markings for it.

Absolutely fantastic project, Paul. Following this with great interest brother. I have maintained a "Spitfire Bin" for many years and the bits therein have produced more than a dozen various models over the years.

Cheers,

Gary

• Like 1

Progress report.   Some pics of further work on this build.

lxGNmP.jpg

Most of the assembly done here. The prop is a white metal one and came from a friend. Originates from the Aeroclub range.  Incidentally, I found a cockpit 'floor' item in another AZ kit that has two in the box as the kit is the bubble top MK.16 and has the appropriate new parts on another sprue that includes this cockpit part. Not that it can be seen now its installed!
sOmrHI.jpg

This underside view shows most of the differing plastic parts from different kit manufacturers
Ohdzbi.jpg

I found the exhusts among the spares cache and traced them back to being resin ones by Quickboost.  Lots of he smaller parts are also Eduard.  
sOhqPu.jpg

I forgot to do pics of it in primer( its grey so you know what it looked like). Here, main paintwork applied.
Rt1MQV.jpg

KtyR0O.jpg

2XygXD.jpg

The short cannon stubs now fitted from plastic rod. To be reshaped / rounded to depict the blanked off ports.
e24bfU.jpg

Main undercart now on. ( the main wheels will be spares from the older Airfix Mk.Vb kit as was the tail wheel!).  These parts are from the Eduard Mk.IX.  So many useful bits left over from that kit! Even the cannons!
DT85y4.jpg

Decalling in progress.
F6unh2.jpg

And here as it stands this evening.  The wing roundels and fin flash are from Modeldecal generic sets, fuselage ones from unknown kit but were the best I had and right size, stencilling from the Eduard kit.  As for unit markings, I have an unused set from Techmod featuring a 306 (UZ- codes)Squadron and  two of 316 (SZ- code)and another part used Techmod set featuring 315 Squadron (PK- codes) Mk.IXs as flown by 'Gabby' Gabreski when training and  familiarising himself in the ETO before returning to the 56th FG with P-47s.   So I will need to decide which to go for.   BUT I am still waiting to see if anyone here has a suitable canopy to help me finish this off. I have the aerial mast to hand and I thinks its from an  Airfix kit.  It could be finished very soon now. Cheers for now.

• Like 18

What a fantastic idea! I daresay many of us have built enough Spits (or P-40s, or 109s, or Mustangs) that we could do this ourselves! I'm sure I have a spare set of Mk.IX glass but I'm afraid of the cost of postage to you!

I'm just imagining the talk should this should this show up on a show table.

"It's the AZ kit."

"No, clearly Airfix, look at that wing."

"Nah nah nah, it's quite obviously Sword. Come on, Paul, which is it?"

"Yes." 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, k5054nz said:

...... I'm sure I have a spare set of Mk.IX glass but I'm afraid of the cost of postage to you!

I'm just imagining the talk should this should this show up on a show table.

"It's the AZ kit."

"No, clearly Airfix, look at that wing."

"Nah nah nah, it's quite obviously Sword. Come on, Paul, which is it?"

"Yes." 😁

Thanks for the offer but it's also a risk coming from NZ. I'm sure I can source one somewhere. Glad to hear you like this build. 

• Like 1

Great idea for a build, and nicely executed!

As an aside, it's also great to see that so many Spitfire kits agree on basic accurate shapes these days. I wouldn't have fancied your chances of trying to marry up the Airfix baggie Mk IX and the old Revell Mk II, for example!

Regards,

Adrian 

• Like 1

Thanks all and to 'Beard' for the canopy offer.  But I did find among my bits a canopy with a crack partway down middle and separate windshield from the Eduard spares I have, It fits but only just and you will see in the RFI thread because its now finished. I will replace the canopy when that arrives.  Pics of the completed model now on RFI. See you there.