1/72nd Valom Bristol Brigand B.Mk.1, 45 Sqn, Tengah, 1950, Operation Firedog

Wow!!

What a cool build. Count me among the 27 or so others who didn't quite grasp how big the plane was.

-d-

Edited by David H
well... now i can actually see the photos of the model.
  • Sad 1

A rarely seen and modelled type and Tony, your model is a cracker. I too had no idea it was such a beastie. From certainly angle it looks like a Lancaster that has crashed into the back of a Mosquito. Keep the post war bombers coming!

Mark

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, David H said:

all i see is a big black box.

You sure you're not zoomed in on the underside? :P I mean it's big, but not that big!

Awesome work Tony.  Good comparison too with the Beau. 

• Like 1

Tony,

this is the best Brigand I've ever seen! Lovely model and excellent work. I was also surprised to see how big the Brigand was. Somehow it looks "smaller" especially in the photos taken from the front quarters. I have a very soft spot for all things related to Tengah as I spent nearly two years there.

Currently reading Tengah 1939 - 1967 - A short history by Keith Appleyard. Some photos and memories of 45 Squadron Brigands in the book.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

Heya Tony, that's absolutely superb. I think the Brigand is a great looking aeroplane particularly in those markings alongside the Beau! I don't think we see enough Brigands in general so thank you for posting it. I would love to see a good one in 1/48! 

You've also inspired me to get on with a Beau in that scheme!

Nick

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

We do not see enough of this Bristol design but I am glad I have seen yours, it is a cracker and the extra work paid off in spades.

Thanks mate,...... that is very kind of you and yes it is something of an unsung design now which did good work.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, canberraman said:

A rarely seen and modelled type and Tony, your model is a cracker. I too had no idea it was such a beastie. From certainly angle it looks like a Lancaster that has crashed into the back of a Mosquito. Keep the post war bombers coming!

Mark

Thanks Mark,....  glad you like it mate and yeah it is a brute,...... not sure I get the Lanc and Mossie analogy mind you,..... I can definitely see the Beaufighter in there still,...... maybe with Halifax? Got a Buckmaster on the way,.... just painting it now! 

3 hours ago, alt-92 said:

You sure you're not zoomed in on the underside? :P I mean it's big, but not that big!

Awesome work Tony.  Good comparison too with the Beau. 

LOL,.... Thanks mate,..... yeah glad I decided to photograph them together,..... two big metal brutes,...... but one much more brutish!  

1 hour ago, Antti_K said:

Tony,

this is the best Brigand I've ever seen! Lovely model and excellent work. I was also surprised to see how big the Brigand was. Somehow it looks "smaller" especially in the photos taken from the front quarters. I have a very soft spot for all things related to Tengah as I spent nearly two years there.

Currently reading Tengah 1939 - 1967 - A short history by Keith Appleyard. Some photos and memories of 45 Squadron Brigands in the book.

Cheers,

Antti

Thanks Antti,...... crikey thanks,..... thanks very much! Glad it has brought some memories back,..... from the days when we had some brilliant postings still. 

1 hour ago, 85sqn said:

Heya Tony, that's absolutely superb. I think the Brigand is a great looking aeroplane particularly in those markings alongside the Beau! I don't think we see enough Brigands in general so thank you for posting it. I would love to see a good one in 1/48! 

You've also inspired me to get on with a Beau in that scheme!

Nick

Thanks Nick,..... glad you like it and I`m with you there for a 1/48th one for sure. Glad you are going for the Beau,.... mine was a Hasegawa kit from years ago but the Airfix kit is a beaut,..... just double check your references re the demarcation line, especially around the nose. 

• Like 2

Very nicely done Tony and we can never have enough photos of your builds.

I worked with someone who's dad was an ex WW2 Bomber Command pilot with a DFC to his name who was one of the pilots that refused to continue flying the Brigand in Malaysia due to their tendency to fold up at the bottom of their dives. He told me that so many of the pilots refused to fly them that the powers that be put on a demonstration to prove that it was safe to dive bomb in one and it folded up and killed its pilot right in front of them all. My colleagues dad was dishonourably discharged from the RAF along with others citing "LMF" as the reason!

Duncan B

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

A very sad story. I also read that they had a habit of shedding entire engines. Not the most confidence inspiring aircraft.

Despite the Brigand's shortcomings as an aeroplane, I've always been impressed by it.

Tony's build is fantastic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Very nicely done Tony and we can never have enough photos of your builds.

I worked with someone who's dad was an ex WW2 Bomber Command pilot with a DFC to his name who was one of the pilots that refused to continue flying the Brigand in Malaysia due to their tendency to fold up at the bottom of their dives. He told me that so many of the pilots refused to fly them that the powers that be put on a demonstration to prove that it was safe to dive bomb in one and it folded up and killed its pilot right in front of them all. My colleagues dad was dishonourably discharged from the RAF along with others citing "LMF" as the reason!

Duncan B

Thanks Duncan,..... what a sad but common story mate,....... as I`ve said earlier,...the Brigand was a torpedo bomber being used in a role that it wasn`t designed for and it must have been awful to have survived WW2 only to fly an aircraft which was dangerous for its role,....... when the Chinook HC.2 was introduced there was a similar situation with people refusing to fly it or buying extra life insurance,..... it took the Mull of Kintyre crash for the authorities to finally wake up and fix the problem.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eric Mc said:

A very sad story. I also read that they had a habit of shedding entire engines. Not the most confidence inspiring aircraft.

Despite the Brigand's shortcomings as an aeroplane, I've always been impressed by it.

Tony's build is fantastic.

Thanks Eric,..... agreed about the Brigand too,..... an impressive looking aircraft but flawed and used for a role that it wasn`t designed for. 

Outstanding, those colours look brilliant! I hadn’t realised how big they were either, I’d assumed it was Mosquito sized. Fantastic subject extremely well made.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Outstanding, those colours look brilliant! I hadn’t realised how big they were either, I’d assumed it was Mosquito sized. Fantastic subject extremely well made.

Thanks mate,..... yes it is a great scheme isn`t it,...... looks a bit blah on some aircraft but on others like the Brigand it looks just right.

19 hours ago, Old Man said:

That's quite a model, Tony!

Getting that from a Valom kit you had to go an extra mile or three to boot.

A treat for the eyes from an awfully obscure patch (to a Yank anyway).

Thanks mate,..... yeah it was a struggle but it had to be done,....... just wish some resin engine nacelles had been available as mine are a bit of a hash up job to be fair. I have a few more to build,.... but doing this extra work every time is a bit off putting. 

19 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Really great job on that. Nice to see one finished. I have one in the stash, but it's not near the top of the pile yet.

Thanks mate,..... yeah you don`t often see them finished,...... and then I walked into my local model shop and one of the lads had also built one and he had done a superb job, showing it flying over a jungle scene. Mine have been in the stash for years,....... but the GB just gave me a boot op the jacksie to get one done and I`m glad I did,...... it was a bit of a challenge mind you and a bit scary!!

• 3 weeks later...

You have done an outstanding job Tony. Valom kits are really quite difficult to assemble. That is why I tend to shy away from them. This excellent result is indeed a testimony to your modelling skills.👏

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2021 at 11:41 PM, 112 Squadron said:

You have done an outstanding job Tony. Valom kits are really quite difficult to assemble. That is why I tend to shy away from them. This excellent result is indeed a testimony to your modelling skills.👏

Thanks mate,....... yeah they are limited release but not too bad,... unless there is a mistake that needs to be rectified,..... like those engine nacelles.