Yorkshire Air Museum, Elvington July 2021

Evening all

I visited the Yorkshire Air Museum at Elvington with a friend primarily to see the Handley Page Halifax composite and the Mirage IVA. I really enjoyed my visit, and understand the difficulties of maintaining large exhibits in the open, but the condition of some of the airframes was disappointing.

Anyway, I present a few of my favourites...

P1050601.jpg

P1050597.jpg

P1050595.jpg

P1050594.jpg

P1050592.jpg

P1050588.jpg

P1050582.jpg

P1050581.jpg

P1050580.jpg

P1050578.jpg

P1050576.jpg

P1050562.jpg

P1050549.jpg

P1050541.jpg

P1050535.jpg

P1050527.jpg

P1050519.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 14

Great stuff, yes sad to see the state of some of those Cold War stalwarts. Great pics, really the like the Mirage IV in the foreground, 'towering over' the little Mirage III in the background!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Preserving airframes outdoors is like pushing butter uphill with a hot needle. Covid would not have helped, but an influx of volunteers and some time and effort will sort that lot out. They are a dedicated crew at Elvington, I can't see them letting things slide.

• Like 5

Some interesting types there I did not know were preserved over here.   I like the 1:1 scale Airfix control tower😏 Not a place I've been to but with foreign travel curtailed maybe a staycation trip up there could be in my plans.

As an aside and coincidentally I am off to Norfolk next week and will pop in to the Norwich Air museum there by the airport.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I visited about 10 years ago and had not realised how much the collection has grown: I had forgotten about the Mirage IV which is worth the admission alone!  A great set of photos that chronicle your visit but I too am rather alarmed at the detrimental effect the Yorkshire weather is having on some of the outdoor exhibits. Thanks for sharing another great day out Leigh.

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I visited there several years ago and it’s on the “must go back before I die” list.

Like many small museums YAM have been badly hit by Covid-19; their volunteers haven’t been allowed in to work on the exhibits and they've had no gate money for around a year to fund running costs and infrastructure improvements.  Some of their exhibits were in less than pristine state when they arrived and work on some airframes is quite involved; for those who unwillingly suffer the depravities of Farceboob go and search out the WS788 Restoration page and see what they have to contend with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Parabat said:

Great stuff, yes sad to see the state of some of those Cold War stalwarts. Great pics, really the like the Mirage IV in the foreground, 'towering over' the little Mirage III in the background!

Thanks Parabat, I'm pleased you liked the Mirages. The rare IVA was not as big as I was expecting (stupid thing to say, I know!)

21 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Preserving airframes outdoors is like pushing butter uphill with a hot needle. Covid would not have helped, but an influx of volunteers and some time and effort will sort that lot out. They are a dedicated crew at Elvington, I can't see them letting things slide.

I can imagine how tough it is in normal times, but in these strange times, looking after outside exhibits cannot have been easy.

21 hours ago, Paul J said:

Some interesting types there I did not know were preserved over here.   I like the 1:1 scale Airfix control tower😏 Not a place I've been to but with foreign travel curtailed maybe a staycation trip up there could be in my plans.

As an aside and coincidentally I am off to Norfolk next week and will pop in to the Norwich Air museum there by the airport.

Definitely worth a visit, Paul. I made exactly the same comment about the control tower to my friend!

6 hours ago, canberraman said:

I visited about 10 years ago and had not realised how much the collection has grown: I had forgotten about the Mirage IV which is worth the admission alone!  A great set of photos that chronicle your visit but I too am rather alarmed at the detrimental effect the Yorkshire weather is having on some of the outdoor exhibits. Thanks for sharing another great day out.

Mark

Thanks Mark. The Museum is definitely worth another visit, but the Mirage IVA and the Halifax really made it for me!

5 hours ago, stever219 said:

I visited there several years ago and it’s on the “must go back before I die” list.

Like many small museums YAM have been badly hit by Covid-19; their volunteers haven’t been allowed in to work on the exhibits and they've had no gate money for around a year to fund running costs and infrastructure improvements.  Some of their exhibits were in less than pristine state when they arrived and work on some airframes is quite involved; for those who unwillingly suffer the depravities of Farceboob go and search out the WS788 Restoration page and see what they have to contend with.

Definitely worth a re-visit and amazingly, the £12 entry fee entitles the bearer to revisit as often as they wish in the next 365 days!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/9/2021 at 2:30 PM, Parabat said:

I agree. The Mirage IVA is an impressive and attractive airplane.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1