Tilly Masterson's '64 Convertible +++ Finished +++

CliffB

Time for another quick update.

I've now attached the front scuttle and temporarily clipped the grille and bonnet in place.  As with the rear of the car, everything fits perfectly :).

I've also started to beef up the folded soft-top using card and putty, as the kit's part was too flat.

P1120593.JPG

I've made some progress with the wheels too.  After much sanding, the kit's hubcaps are now attached to the Airfix Cortina wheels.

My aftermarket knock-off wheel nuts have also arrived.  I'll strip off the plating and re-chrome them along with the hubcaps.

spacer.png

Cheers

• Like 9

Thanks for your comments guys, they're much appreciated. :thumbsup2:

Here's the current status.

I've constructed some internal structure under the bonnet (to stop see-through), and masked off the cockpit prior to painting the body shell.

P1120601.JPG

As you can also see, I've cut some masks (using a compass cutter), for the white wall tyres.

Here's the result...

P1120603.JPG

They're not perfect, but could have been a lot worse!  I'll use the best two on the left-hand side of the car, which is the display side in my cabinet :winkgrin:.

Cheers

• Like 4

And here we are with the first coat of primer on.  I've used my usual light grey primer to help ensure good coverage over the red plastic.

P1120604.JPG

The teaspoon has been painted 50:50 with grey and white primer, so that I can test the performance of the Tamiya Laquer paint that I'll be using to replicate Ford's Wimbledon White.  It will be the first time that I've used this type of paint, so I thought it wise to have a trial run first.

Here's the result.

P1120605.JPG

I thinned the paint using Mr Color Levelling Thinner (as recommended elsewhere on Britmodeller), and it sprayed beautifully to give a nice glossy finish :)

Less good was its ability to cover the grey - the paint was quite translucent, so took a lot of coats.  It's clear that I need to put a coat of white primer on next, which is probably not a surprise!

Cheers

• Like 7

Oops - I have a problem.  There is a mismatch between the width of the windscreen and where I've placed the demarcation between the uphostery and the external door panel :(.

spacer.png

When painting, I followed a groove in the top of the door which looked like it was supposed to be the window channel - obviously it was a mistake not to check!  It should be easy enough to rectify, but I had thought that I had finished painting the bodywork :winkgrin:.

Better news is that the wheels are now put together.

spacer.png

I've added some spacers to the backs of the wheels in order to get the correct track dimensions.

The aftermarket wheel nuts turned out to be strange beasts as they were not plated (as I had thought), but instead were made of solid 'chrome coloured' plastic.  In other words, even cut or sanded surfaces retain their chrome appearance.  This is not something that I've seen before :coolio:.

Cheers

• Like 10

16 hours ago, TonyW said:

Wimbledon White with red upholstery is a beautiful combination. That slight creaminess makes the colour look very luxurious.

Nearly there, and looking better and better as you progress.

Thanks Tony.  I do feel it's a case of 'two steps forward and one step back' at the moment though!

I'm busy doing other stuff for most of today, but tomorrow's clear and so (subject to domestic opposition), I should get finished OK.

Cheers

And here we are finished!  It seems to have taken forever, but I have enjoyed it.

P1120621.JPG

I haven't found time yet to add more interior detail (most noticeably, a rear view mirror), but will do so later.  My immediate priority is to give some long overdue attention to the other Group Builds that I'm still committed too :winkgrin:.

Many thanks to all of you who have supported this build and to @vppelt68 for coming up with the idea and hosting.  Special thanks too, to @Enzo Matrix for letting the GB through :cheers:

All I need now is an Aston Martin DB5 group build please!

Cheers

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• CliffB changed the title to Tilly Masterson's '64 Convertible +++ Finished +++

Excellent work on this, and well done for meeting the original deadline which I think was always going to be tight for most of us. This looks a really tidy build and certainly hides its smaller scale very well.

• Thanks 1

Excellent work, you weren't tempted to recreate the results of Tilly's unfortunate "double blowout" I see ;)

2 hours ago, CliffB said:

All I need now is an Aston Martin DB5 group build please!

I've got an Airfix 1:32 Aston Martin DB5 in slow progress, trying to fix everything wrong with the worn out moulds.  I've also got two 1:24 DB5s (one Bond, one not) so I'm not sure if I'd be up for this or not, lol.

• Thanks 1