Revell 1/12 2010 Ford Shelby GT500

Andy J

And THAT is one good looking engine and is definitely fitting in there nicely.

Thanks for the heads up about the Vallejo Metal Colors as well. I've been meaning to pick some of that stuff up.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

I'll be looking forward to that Andy! 

Man......plastic surgery couldn't have removed the smile I had on my face when that motor was coming together. That was four years ago.....now I've got a 406 in the machine shop for it. ORSAY9.gif

I see you follow the "no replacement for displacement" mantra ;)

James

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Ok so I was asked earlier for more details concerning the airbrush I have shown above. Here's a couple of pics which should help. Oh and it's a 0.5 needle and nozzle 🙂

spacer.png

spacer.png

Excellent bit of kit which I use for my 1/24 car builds as well. 

Thanks, looks like my compressor can deliver enough air that is usually the problem when I have checked out bigger airbrushes in the past.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

Another great product for creating metal colours are the ones shown below which work perfectly through the airbrush but work really well with a brush infact for brush painting they are the best I've used to date. No thinning required just shake well and brush away 😉👍

spacer.png

Agreed, the Valejo metal colour paints I've used so far have been superb both through an airbrush and when applied with an actual brush.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 81-er said:

Shaping up very nicely indeed, and thanks for the tip on the paints

James

Tbh James I think I've tried just about every brand of paint on the market my paint stash is huge but surprisingly enough one of the best paints for spraying car shells is the good old Tamiya acrylic range thinned with levelling thinner and applied correctly it's very good indeed 🙂👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mustang1989 said:

And THAT is one good looking engine and is definitely fitting in there nicely.

Thanks for the heads up about the Vallejo Metal Colors as well. I've been meaning to pick some of that stuff up.

Well worth the investment mate plus they are water based which is always a bonus 😉 👍 

1 hour ago, dbostream said:

Thanks, looks like my compressor can deliver enough air that is usually the problem when I have checked out bigger airbrushes in the past.

The black handle shown in the pic's is a separate item it doesn't come with the airbrush. However the handle really makes the airbrush comfortable to use and is well worth the extra cost. Be warned though once you've used a trigger type airbrush you will want to use them all the time they are great to use and the level of control is exceptional. I've since brought another one with a 0.3 needle and love using them 🙂👍

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, johnlambert said:

Agreed, the Valejo metal colour paints I've used so far have been superb both through an airbrush and when applied with an actual brush.

100% agree John and I don't know if you are aware but you can mix the various colours together to create unique shades and tones 😉👍

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Andy J said:

100% agree John and I don't know if you are aware but you can mix the various colours together to create unique shades and tones 😉👍

I was sort of aware, because I did that by accident once, mixing aluminium and steel because I picked up the wrong bottle when I wanted to top up my airbrush. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Liking those weathered heat shields Andy, and the engine looks great snuggled in the chassis. In fact all it needs is some plug leads.....!! :whistle: :)

Keith

I think you're trying to cause a bit of mischief Keith 😂👍. This particular engine is a one off mate that requires no external leads whatsoever...it's sort of special if you like 😉👍

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, johnlambert said:

I was sort of aware, because I did that by accident once, mixing aluminium and steel because I picked up the wrong bottle when I wanted to top up my airbrush. 

Nothing ventured nothing gained John but the bottom line is they are great paints too have in your arsenal 🙂👍

5 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Me? Little old innocent me? Never....!!! 🤣

K

Give me a break I've done the heat shields what more do you want 🙂👍

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Andy J said:

Another great product for creating metal colours are the ones shown below which work perfectly through the airbrush but work really well with a brush infact for brush painting they are the best I've used to date. No thinning required just shake well and brush away 😉👍

spacer.png

Agree with that. My go to for hand painting metallics now.👍

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Agree with that. My go to for hand painting metallics now.👍

Tbh Stef they brush paint that well that they look like they've been applied with an airbrush. I like to use them for picking out details like the heat shields without the need for any masking tape 🙂👍

• Like 2

Looking really good Andy. That engine is lovely. Oh and adding more detail...slippery slope... Just saying ...

Nick

Oh and can you guys hurry up with your group build. It's a bit lonely in the vehicle section at the mo...😞

Just kidding now that I know where you guys are lurking I can sit in the back and heckle...😜

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Fnick said:

Looking really good Andy. That engine is lovely. Oh and adding more detail...slippery slope... Just saying ...

Nick

Oh and can you guys hurry up with your group build. It's a bit lonely in the vehicle section at the mo...😞

Just kidding now that I know where you guys are lurking I can sit in the back and heckle...😜

Hiya mate nice to have you along 👍. This build could take a while Nick it's a little larger than normal but I'm enjoying myself so what the hell 😀. I'll get your parcel sorted out in the near future Nick I'll PM you when I'm ready to rock n roll 😉👍

• Thanks 1

So another fairly large part of the kit has been tackled today the exhaust system 🙂. Again I've probably spent way to much time working on a part that won't be seen when the build is finished but I've enjoyed messing around with various metallic colours and I'm happy with the results. Here's a couple of pics of today's progress with the exhaust dropped roughly in position but not finally attached 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I also have the various radiator parts primed and ready for paint then hopefully I can add the engine and fix all these various parts to the chassis. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

• Like 11

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Nice work! What did you use this time Andy, the Zero metals or the Valejo ones?

K

Mainly the zero metals Keith except for the exhaust brackets which were Vallejo jet exhaust and a bit of Tamiya clear orange and clear blue 🙂👍

• Like 1

Ok so just a quick update today regarding my lack of progress on this build. Nothing sinister i just have to spend some time reorganising my work space so for a while all building has been put on hold. No big deal and I'll be back working on this build asap 🙂👍

• Like 1