Revell 1/12 2010 Ford Shelby GT500

Andy J

6 minutes ago, Kitkent said:

Looking very smart so far Andy,says Chris who is also impressed with the fanbelt decals and the fact that you went to the G.P! 

Chris.

Thanks Chris I appreciate your comment mate 👍. The fan belt decals seem to be very popular in the comments above amazing how a small detail can make such an impact 🤔. The GP was an opportunity to recharge the batteries mate although I could have done without the sunburn 😬👍

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

Anyway with my new pace of building I might beat your 11 year record

I wouldn't bet against that 1/12 Porsche beating it....!! :rofl2:

And I'll let you into a secret - 11 years is nothing for me. I started an Airfix 1/72 Vulcan the week after my son was born. He's 37 this year.....!! :whistle:

I do have a problem with finishing it though - I can't find it!! 🤣

K

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

And I'll let you into a secret - 11 years is nothing for me. I started an Airfix 1/72 Vulcan the week after my son was born. He's 37 this year.....!! :whistle:

K

You mean you can't see it 🤣🤣🤣👍

1 minute ago, keefr22 said:

K

Blimey I thought for a minute we were playing spot the difference 🤣🤣👍

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Indeed. Can you see things lost in the darkest depths of the loft.... :tease:

K

Dunno haven't been up the loft for about 11 years 😂

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 81-er said:

That engine really is superb, all of the decals and labels make it so realistic

James

Thanks James and I agree the decals definitely improve the overall look of the engine. I'm eager to crack on but the room temperature is way to high atm for spraying parts so for the time being I'm pretty much twiddling my thumbs 🙄👍

So with the temperature at a more moderate 82° at the bench 😳 I've managed a couple of hours on the Mustang. The first big piece of the kit has been started which is the chassis and this part left me a little confused 🤔. Why am I confused...well...my intention was to spray the whole thing black and crack on...however I simply can't bring myself to just leave the whole part black I'm gonna have to try and paint in some of the details even though once finished none of the extra details will be visible 🙄. This extra detail work is not my usual approach but for some reason although I'm not going OTT with it I have to add a bit extra to the build. So here's a few pic's of today's progress 

First up this chassis is a big sucker almost as long as my spray booth 

spacer.png

So I needed an airbrush fit for spraying a large part and the one below fits the bill perfectly 

spacer.png

A bit heavy duty perhaps but 5 mins later the chassis was painted 

spacer.png

I'm very happy with the results and will be using the airbrush above to paint the shell when the time comes. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Just for scale here's the chassis with a jar of extra thin for comparison 

spacer.png

Next up to add a little detail i decided to tackle the heat shields and weather them slightly to add a bit of realism 

spacer.png

I'm happy with the way they turned out and plan to pick out more chassis details before fitting the engine. With the temperature having risen to 86° I've decided to call it a day as its now just too uncomfortable to continue however hopefully tomorrow I can carry on with the build. Not massive progress but a step forward thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, dbostream said:

Can you tell me the name of that airbrush I've been looking for one to paint bigger surfaces with? What needle size is it?

I'm away from the bench atm but give me a while and I'll post up all the details you need mate 🙂👍

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

And that's about how those heat shields look too. Great work on that.

Thanks mate I'm not looking for perfection just a little extra detail so that the chassis is visually more interesting 😉 👍 

• Like 2

Something else that I do on my "daily driven cars'" is a very thin light tan wash airbrushed over the whole chassis to simulate a rainwater wash on the bottom side of the car. Just enough for the effects without overdoing it though. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

Something else that I do on my "daily driven cars'" is a very thin light tan wash airbrushed over the whole chassis to simulate a rainwater wash on the bottom side of the car. Just enough for the effects without overdoing it though. 

Food for thought indeed but atm I'm not certain just how much extra work I'm going to put into the chassis. Like I said earlier I need to pick out a bit of the detail but I don't want to spend too much time with it. Tbh I'm looking forward to seeing the engine in place 🙂👍

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Food for thought indeed but atm I'm not certain just how much extra work I'm going to put into the chassis. Like I said earlier I need to pick out a bit of the detail but I don't want to spend too much time with it. Tbh I'm looking forward to seeing the engine in place 🙂👍

That is a feeling I know all too well both in the modeling world AND in real life. spacer.png

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

That is a feeling I know all too well both in the modeling world AND in real life. spacer.png

Top man that made me lol 😆 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

Top man that made me lol 😆 😂

LOL!! 

My 1994 Silverado.....old 350 TBI engine.......

spacer.png

OUT.........

spacer.png

New 383 Stroker Carbureted engine....IN....

spacer.png

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

LOL!! 

My 1994 Silverado.....old 350 TBI engine.......

spacer.png

OUT.........

spacer.png

New 383 Stroker Carbureted engine....IN....

spacer.png

Well hang loose for a few minutes I've just tried the Mustang engine in the chassis pic's on the way 🙂👍. Your real engine swap looks awesome btw 👌 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Andy J said:

Well hang loose for a few minutes I've just tried the Mustang engine in the chassis pic's on the way 🙂👍. Your real engine swap looks awesome btw 👌 

I'll be looking forward to that Andy! 

Man......plastic surgery couldn't have removed the smile I had on my face when that motor was coming together. That was four years ago.....now I've got a 406 in the machine shop for it. ORSAY9.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok so I was asked earlier for more details concerning the airbrush I have shown above. Here's a couple of pics which should help. Oh and it's a 0.5 needle and nozzle 🙂

spacer.png

spacer.png

Excellent bit of kit which I use for my 1/24 car builds as well. 

I couldn't resist test fitting the engine in the chassis and I'm pleased to say it fits like a glove. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The engine has been removed know whilst I continue work on the chassis, radiator etc but I'm pleased with the results so far 🙂👍

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

I'll be looking forward to that Andy! 

Man......plastic surgery couldn't have removed the smile I had on my face when that motor was coming together. That was four years ago.....now I've got a 406 in the machine shop for it. ORSAY9.gif

Nothing wrong with having a passion mate it's what life is all about 😉👍

Another great product for creating metal colours are the ones shown below which work perfectly through the airbrush but work really well with a brush infact for brush painting they are the best I've used to date. No thinning required just shake well and brush away 😉👍

spacer.png

• Like 3