Revell 1/12 2010 Ford Shelby GT500

Andy J

So here's my choice for the GB and boy am I looking forward to building this sucker ๐Ÿ˜€ย 

ย 

spacer.png

ย 

The only thing I'm certain about atm is that my version will not be Blue with a black interior....as for the colours I will be using...well more about that at a later date ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘

• Like 14

3 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Uhh, I'll need tons ofย ๐Ÿฟ in the next three months!

ย 

And some of this :beer: to wash it down!ย 

ย 

Looking forward to this Andy, going to check out the other builds now! :)

ย 

K

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Six97s said:

Thought this would be in paint by now...ย  ๐Ÿค”

How do you know it isn't ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘

1 hour ago, Marco F. said:

I'll have an eye on this wipย 

Enjoy the build Andyย 

ย 

Marco Fย 

Thanks Marco will do ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

So I've made a start and unusually for me I'm following the order of the kit instructions. Reason being well the shell is the size of King Kongs foot so more planning is required as to the best way to approach the painting but I'll come up with a plan just not yet. So I've started work on the engine and various parts that are fixed to it. All the parts have been primed and some have received paint but i still have to add some details before I can fix the parts together. Here's a few pic's of today's progress nothing exciting but all work that is necessary before I can move on.ย 

ย 

spacer.png

ย 

The engine and gearbox are quite large as you can see aboveย 

ย 

spacer.png

ย 

Engine and gearbox in primer and finally a few parts with colour addedย 

ย 

spacer.png

ย 

So more details to add but I'm up and running and enjoying the build so far. Thanks for looking back soon ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Nice start Andy - I do like those rocker covers, very neat!

ย 

K

Thanks Keith it took a while and a fair bit of masking but I think at this scale it's worth it. Should look nice when the engine is fixed together ๐Ÿ™‚

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andy J said:

So I've made a start and unusually for me I'm following the order of the kit instructions. Reason being well the shell is the size of King Kongs foot so more planning is required as to the best way to approach the painting but I'll come up with a plan just not yet. ...

ย 

ย 

ย 

Not sure if this will work, but might give you ideas. This is the set-up I use (photo taken a long time ago, garage has had a tidy now!).

ย 

42004426625_d19e4217be_b.jpg

ย 

The body support is made from an old piece of MDF with holes drilled though to allow some electrical wire offcuts to be threaded through. Bits of blu-tak on the end of each wire help to grip the bodyshell and prevent scratching of the paint. As the electrical wire is dressable (can be bent to shape and then retains its shape), you can bend the wire to suit the shell lodging it in a suitable place to support the body.

ย 

Looking like a very good start on the engine by the way.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Spiny said:

ย 

Not sure if this will work, but might give you ideas. This is the set-up I use (photo taken a long time ago, garage has had a tidy now!).

ย 

42004426625_d19e4217be_b.jpg

ย 

The body support is made from an old piece of MDF with holes drilled though to allow some electrical wire offcuts to be threaded through. Bits of blu-tak on the end of each wire help to grip the bodyshell and prevent scratching of the paint. As the electrical wire is dressable (can be bent to shape and then retains its shape), you can bend the wire to suit the shell lodging it in a suitable place to support the body.

ย 

Looking like a very good start on the engine by the way.

Thanks for the ideas Spiny you've just flipped a switch in my brain and I now think I have a solution ๐Ÿ™‚. As for the engine yes I'm happy with the results so far but I don't intend to get bogged down with this part of the kit I'm eager to move on ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

2 hours ago, dbostream said:

I hope you show us your setup when paintingย the body, I have never painted anything this big and would be interesting to see how you did it.

Will do no problem ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

• Like 1

So I thought I would add the pic below which reveals my choice of interior and exterior colours for this build. I've also decided to try out the zero paints metal colours which already seem to be a very good product.ย 

ย 

spacer.png

ย 

Ok so I've used some artistic licence with the colour choices but having consulted my Technical Director we agree they should suit this car perfectly ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

ย 

• Like 5

So only a couple of hours at the bench today but progress has been made on the engine and I have to say I'm very happy with the results so far. For a 2010 engine I think it looks about right and certainly looking at my reference pic's I'm not to far off the real thing. Here's a few pic's of today's progressย 

ย 

spacer.png

ย 

The pulleys and belts need to dry properly before I can fix them in place but should look ok once fitted.ย 

ย 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

ย 

That's where the build stands atm and it maybe a while before I get back to the bench due to work commitments and my impending trip to Silverstone for the British GP . Thanks for looking back soon ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

That looks damn good to me Andy!ย 

ย 

I like the variations in the metal colours - what are they like to spray?

ย 

K

The zero metal paints spray beautifully Keith well worth the money imo. Also they dry quickly so you can add layers and build up the shade you require easily. Definitely a thumbs up for these paints imo ๐Ÿ‘.ย 

• Like 1

Wow Andy, thatย engine is major eye candy! Yes, tell us more about your experiences with the Zero metalizers. I have been in search for quicker more durableย alternativesย to the Alclad over black enamel rut Iโ€™ve been in. I love the what you did with the exposed copper windings on the alternator, one of the many benefits of a 1/12 build.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nearsightedjohn said:

Wow Andy, thatย engine is major eye candy! Yes, tell us more about your experiences with the Zero metalizers. I have been in search for quicker more durableย alternativesย to the Alclad over black enamel rut Iโ€™ve been in. I love the what you did with the exposed copper windings on the alternator, one of the many benefits of a 1/12 build.

Thanks for the comment John much appreciated mate. This is the first time I've used the zero metal paints and they are very user friendly. I primed the parts with mr surfacer 1500 black primer and applied the zero paints on top. They dry quickly and can be re coated almost immediately if required. The only tip i would give you is to spray them at a slightly higher psi than you think they require in my case 25psi instead of my usual 15 -20 psi. Other than that I think they are excellent metal paints and available in 30ml or 60ml jars to suit the buyer ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘. Oh I forgot to add masking tape does not remove the paint at all as I found out when detailing the rocker covers ๐Ÿ™‚

• Like 1

Those paints are very tempting. I can see quite a bit of very useful information coming out of this GB.

ย 

I'll second Johns comment on the Alternator, the added detailing is very effective.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TonyW said:

Those paints are very tempting. I can see quite a bit of very useful information coming out of this GB.

ย 

I'll second Johns comment on the Alternator, the added detailing is very effective.

Thanks Tony im not a super detailer by any stretch but at this scale opportunity's do present themselves so I thought why not ๐Ÿค”. As for the metal paints well I'm sold already but by the end of this build I will have used them a lot so other people can make up their minds i suppose ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

5 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

ย 

Indeed, I forgot to mention that - very nice!

Thanks Keith one of the bonuses of working at this scale i think ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

Thought Iโ€™d order a sample bottle of that ย Zero Metal paint from our only domestic source here in the US, Hobbyworld-USA.com. Must be great stuffโ€ฆ.all the โ€œgoodโ€ metal colors (aluminums, steel,) are onย back order! Oh well, I spend too much of my fixed income retirement hobbyย allowanceย on paint as it is (I suffer fromย Tamiya Fine lacquer primer addiction) so guess Iโ€™ll keep usingย my old fussy Alclad for a while longer ๐Ÿ˜•.

• Like 1