Revell Hertz Shelby Mustang, somewhat modified.

TonyW

It's early days with the method at the moment John, I'm learning as I go.

I'm using the kit part as the outer of the mould. The clay gives support to the kit part. It works for this car as the fit is close enough that the thin sheet will move enough to fit the kit opening. I'm not trying to mould the side windows, just the screen. As the new screen is moulded over the kit part it comes out slightly oversize, which works well as the kit part is a bit small!

A couple of problems have reared their ugly heads however.

The clay was OK for a test run but won't cut it for any repeat shots. It separates from the clear plastic and makes plunging the part difficult. I tried gluing the clay back but its dusty nature makes getting a good bond hard. 

Repeating the moulding process saw a major problem appear.

Because I was trying this for the first time, I fired away at all kinds of different techniques to see what worked best. Heat built up and started altering the windscreen I was using. The edges shifted shape! The screen itself also started going a bit grainy. I couldn't figure out why the first shots were crystal clear but the later ones started getting a bit pebbly. It was the plastic of the screen micro bubbling up when it hit the softened (and hot) OHP sheet. I've sanded the screen back to a high shine and think as long as I don't try to do too many moulds in a row I'll be OK.

I've re-made the plunge moulds using car body filler instead of clay. Much harder stuff, if a bit smelly. I've also bonded in a couple of long screws as handles as my fingers didn't much like the blast of the heat gun when I pushed the mould into the OHP sheet.

The plastic kit screen is the weak link at the moment, I'll have a think as to how to solve that one. Once I'm a bit more practiced at this I might be able to crack out a screen at the first or second attempt. The kit part should hold up for that limited use.

I've also built a moulding station out of MDF board. Nothing fancy but a bit more sturdy than the Mk1 Prototype. The lower face has had 80 grit sanding strips glued on to grip the moulding sheet and the hole in it has radiused edges to help stop the sheets splitting if I get the heat wrong. The top piece just clamps on. I debated making it hinged with over centre clips, but you can over egg a pudding. Less is more.

20210731-150034.jpg

20210731-150150.jpg

No doubt something else will crop up at the next attempt, but I'll take whatever problem that is and beat it to death with stubbornness 

The technique works. I'm having teething troubles but I'm confident it's going to give me some interesting results. 

More as it happens.

Tony.

• Like 8

Just got caught up with this build and this is turning out very well so far Tony! Love the idea for the windows and you're right.....I've always thought the kit glass/ windows were just too dang thick. While I've worked around this problem with replacing some of the side windows I have yet to use a method like this for the front and rear glass assemblies. Very nice work!! 

• Thanks 1

I got to try out my new moulding frame today. It does the job well, although I'm having trouble getting the OHP sheets to behave. The mystery pebbling keeps appearing and I'm not sure why. I've tried a few different clear plastics I have here but although one or two mould very easily they are nowhere near as clear or thin as the OHP stuff. I've ordered a few samples of other plastic sheets to continue the experimentation. I'm determined to get this thing cracked.

After I gave up for a while on the moulding I thought making a photo backdrop would make a pleasant change.  The building behind this Shelby Mustang looks fairly simple to copy. There are a few pictures of it on the internet including one with a delivery transporter loaded with Mustangs in the foreground. Thoughts of building that were soon banished back to dreamland.

20210802-141950.jpg

... so I've made a start on building it.

Foamboard and card, left over from my never quite finished Dealership building provided the materials. By only attempting a corner of the building I think I can safely say this one will get finished.

20210802-141928.jpg

The real building is on a slope, but I'm compromising the build a bit by making mine on the flat. The colors on the Shelby sign are self evident. The rest will be guesswork. 

Here's how I've left the thing for the day, lots of glued joints to go off before any more work gets done. Next up will be the dark framing and the corner structure with what appear to be blinds of some sort in the windows.

20210802-150223.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, TonyW said:

The mystery pebbling keeps appearing and I'm not sure why.

I don't know if it's the same problem - or if the OHP sheets are the same material - but there are a number of threads in the aircraft modelling section where people have had similar problems crash moulding PET-G clear sheets. I don't know the science behind it, but apparently the plastic is hygroscopic and the water in the sheets causes bubbling. 'Baking' the sheets in the oven before moulding supposedly removes the moisture and the sheets will mould properly. Unfortunately I can't remember what heat/time needs to be used - but I guess it needs to be less than needed to mould it!! 

Keith

• Thanks 1

That sounds interesting Keith, thanks for the nod.

I've been pre soaking the sheets in warm soapy water to help remove the film on the sheets. I might well be causing the problem myself!

I'll have to clean the film off the sheets and then sort out some kind of warming/drying system and give it a go from there.

Fingers crossed.

Tony.

• Like 1

The Shelby building got a bit more done on it this morning.

A triangular insert for the roof area was cut out in foamboard, glued and painted grey. The walls got painted in a bone color and the concrete drive was lined out with a marker pen and various different pale shades misted over it. I want to try to keep things light and airy as befits a California building.

Trying the current builds out on it for size gives me this...

20210803-095315.jpg

20210803-095910.jpg

I'll be adding a bit more to the building over the day. With luck there will be a further progress report later.

• Like 11

I know the weight of the building will keep things in place, but seeing that blue car hanging over the edge in the first pic gives is the sort of thing you only want to watch through your fingers!

• Haha 5

That's gonna look really good when it's all finished Tony. I'd love to put the time into a diorama but I love building my subjects too much. lol I built a garage a few years back and it took me around 7 months to "finish" (it's never really done as I keep finding stuff to add to it) and even though it was a LOT of fun to build, I couldn't wait to get back to building kits again. 

• Like 2

I've painted the building frames in a blue not far off the Shelby color. It might be a bit overpowering and get toned down some but the B+W picture of the real thing shows a quite dark shade. If I make my version B+W as well it calms down a bit.

20210804-112314-copy.jpg

It's a different story out in the sunshine with the blue dominating everything.

20210804-112314.jpg

It's early days with the building yet. It will sort itself out as the construction progresses.

If anyone can find a color picture of the building I would be very grateful. I've looked all over the net and failed so far. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TonyW said:

If anyone can find a color picture of the building I would be very grateful. I've looked all over the net and failed so far. 

I did have a look around the internet last night, but I can't find exactly where that location is. Is it the Venice California factory, or Las Vegas? Or Somewhere else?

Is this a colour picture, or tinted green?

p7U9kQU.jpg

• Like 1

That is the LAX site at 1901 (senior moment) 6501 W Imperial Highway.   The two hangars are still there, but bear little resemblance now.  I haven't managed to turn up a colour photo yet.

Edit - here's a period photo.  I've arrowed the building in question.

shelbybldg-vi.jpg

Also seen here with the hangar in the background.

view

Edited by Six97s
  • Like 2

Thanks guys,

The picture of the GT350 is almost certainly tinted Mike. I could be wrong though.

That's a tiny looking building! About 40'x40' at a guess. More a parking facility than a workshop/prep area possibly?

I'm going to need to get a book or two on the subject, my references here run to period magazines and not a lot more. All very interesting stuff though.

Chatting to Mike a while ago see's a potential problem headed off at the pass. I've made the building appear too tall.

I based the height on the door opening being about 7'6'' high, making the building roughly 15'. The problem then is, I've also made the building shorter to make the base a bit smaller. That in turn has changed the proportions of the framed areas. To get the proportions back, I need to lower the thing. I think that will help the overall look by being less bulky. The framing could do with being a bit thinner as well.

Mike broke the news gently, and once I had finished my tantrum, I agreed. I'll be lowering the walls a bit tomorrow. Had I made and fitted the Shelby sign, things would have been a bit more involved.

Thanks Mike.

• Like 2

More fine tuning on the building.

Just over an inch was taken out of the height and it seems to have improved the proportions. Maybe a bit more needed? I'll live with it as is for now.

The blue got toned down by adding light grey in a 50/50mix. I thought it would make the colour lighter, but that blue puts up a fight. It still seems too loud but again, I'll live with it at least until I make the Shelby sign and corner entrance. Things might look better at that point.

The walls also got repainted with a few mist coats of white and pale grey.

20210806-101757.jpg

Some actual car modelling took place as well.

One of the Hertz cars and the recently entered '67 GT350 got a bit of undercarriage work started. I think the Hertz one can go with this threads build, the Hertz building base cars don't really need detailed undersides as they are a pure curbside display pair. So is the blue one really, but it won't hurt to have something to look at on the odd occasion I flip a car over. Confused? Me too.

20210806-101717.jpg

Red oxide primer base, burnt sienna oil scrubbed over that and almost entirely removed. Humbrol metalcoat for the gas tanks, dark metal polishing powder for the exhaust pipes with the mufflers yet to be done, they are way to bright at the moment. They will get masked and sprayed silver. The rear axle of the '67 has been glued together and the painting of that one has started also. It's one for its own thread though, so I'll leave it at that.

• Like 9

More done today, the building side structure has had its frame made out of cardboard strips. Plastic strut would have been much better, but the card was here, the strut wasn't. It will need a few heavy coats of primer filler before I can tidy it up a bit. Clear plastic sheet has been cut for the widows as well.

20210806-165911.jpg

Making '60's blinds had me smiling. Cognac Pearl card would you believe, sliced and drilled and waiting for the morning when I can trim the things. They might be a bit dark, but I won't know until I offer them up to the windows. Making blinds! I'll be doing the washing up next!

20210806-173637.jpg

And to finish, three chassis all got a bit more done on them. The black one has undercoat applied, the other two are undercoat delete options.

20210806-153258.jpg

20210806-153614.jpg

• Like 11

51 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Yep, all coming along nicely - I do like the blinds, very 60's !! 

Keith

Soft furnishings and interior decoration arrive at Britmodeller.

Whatever next?

• Haha 2

Colour image.  😎

http://www.saac.com/shelby_american_issues/2016_spring/files/assets/common/page-substrates/page0013.jpg

And colour film - from 1:15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61nSlyJrw_A

Here's a thread with clearer shots of the front building.

https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=6549.0

Edited by Six97s
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Six97s said:

First Class detective work, thank you.

A dark blue/grey seems to be the colour of the building frames.

I'm going to have to start again with the entrance to the building, my version just won't cut it now I've seen really good pictures of it.

I'll need to add the slope of the site at the very least. I'm happy to start again though. Although the site had a pretty short life there were so many different cars coming and going, it would make for a backdrop to so many potential builds.

• Like 2

There are several good photos of that building (sales office) in that thread.  Another nice colour photo too.  It looks like a dark green-grey to me, but considering all the variables, it's hard to be certain.

4fwkwt.jpg

Edited by Six97s
typo
  • Like 2