Revell Hertz Shelby Mustang, somewhat modified.

TonyW

I've been giving my eyes a workout on the blue Mustang. Hood pins are the order of the day.

20211012-094946.jpg

The base plates are too small for the shanks of the smallest needles I have and the eyes of those needles flare out even more. Instead, I've used 0.2 wire, looped around and fed through the base plate. 

20211012-094146.jpg

Snipped short and fed through the holes in the hood gives this...

20211012-094325.jpg

Next up will be inserting the hood pins into the loops and pulling the loops down around the pins. There's enough access under the car to reach the back end of the loop. That should give a near scale looking pair of hood pins if I'm lucky.

I'll add retaining wires to these two as a bit of OTT detailing. The original Shelbys didn't have wires but soon got them once the pins became a target for kids.

The American car garage I used to live above had a problem with the local kids nicking the valve covers from the wheels of the cars on the forecourt. The fashions of the time saw skulls, dice, bullets etc used as caps and the kids put them on their bikes. Not exactly a bright move as they stood out quite a bit. After a word with the parents we got the kids cleaning cars on a Saturday and they could buy the covers and other stuff for trade prices with their wages. Everyone had a result.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Great educational story there! But them hood pins... :wacko:

Them hood pins are just about invisible! I've not bothered with the securing wires as I'm going to call this one done as it is.

I'm happy enough with it as it sits. A few jazzed up pictures and jobs a good 'un. Half the fun of this build has been the different approaches taken, tried and abandoned or modified. I've learned a lot.

20211012-150625.jpg

There are a few areas that I can't really improve on. The door and trunk gaps are indistinct due to paint build up. Ditto the vent panels at the base of the screen The kit had been painted prior to the GB and this has come back to bite me. I'm happy to have it in my collection though, and there's always the next kit to improve on.

The Art Gallery got tried, and it looks good to me. Not good enough for a full five shot Gallery shoot however. I can see the basic idea getting improved on over time and I'm glad I built it. A Mopar dealership or enthusiast showroom garage with a load of those crazy Mopar cartoon adverts is almost certain to happen now I have a rough idea how to achieve that sort of thing.

20211012-151944.jpg

20211012-145013.jpg

20211012-154433.jpg

Gallery shots going up in a bit.

Tony.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Gorgeous Pony car Tony, really stunning build (disappointed you're not adding the pin's retaining wires though....!! 🤣 )

Seriously that is a beautiful model really well photographed and I do like your photo sets/backgrounds (although the 'zebra stripe' one makes my eyes wobble...!! :) )

Cracking job!

Keith

• Thanks 1

The black glass works really well. I'd been wondering whether to get some black glass shelving when I run out of space int he current display cabinet, and your photos have convinced me it will be worth trying to find some.

The model looks pretty good too :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Spiny said:

The black glass works really well. I'd been wondering whether to get some black glass shelving when I run out of space int he current display cabinet, and your photos have convinced me it will be worth trying to find some.

The model looks pretty good too :)

Proper black glass would be a better idea than my sprayed clear glass. Over time, the paint either scratches or starts to flake off from glass. It's not much effort to re-do it at that point but having to repaint shelving would soon get tedious.

I used a large square sheet of black perspex for a few years and that worked very well for photo's. It eventually got scratched a bit too much to be used, as the scratches would really stand out in pictures. The scratches came about gradually. Brushing the inevitable dust off the surface was enough over time to leave marks that couldn't be polished out.

• Like 2

Mister.....that is one beautiful car you've turned out there. I've done one of those hood pin kits once and just love the way it looks. Adds a different level of detail to the outside of the car. Great job on a great car and you've done her proud. 

• Thanks 1