Revell Hertz Shelby Mustang, somewhat modified.

TonyW

27 minutes ago, TonyW said:

Great minds think alike.

I've tried the blue interior in the black car and visa versa. Both look really good.

I want a Hertz car though, so I'm going to be firm with myself and stick with the black on black stock version. It's a shame the Hertz cars didn't have tan interiors, that would have looked rather posh against the black and gold outer.

The blue interior would really pop against an icebox white body. Then a set of blue stripes would really come into their own. This might happen, I took proper advantage of the cheapo kits available on the run up to the GB.

A red interior with a black body would be good. And a white one...

Help!

I feel your pain, some kits present so many interesting colour options that you just have to buy and build multiple versions.  And it's a bit of a shame that the Hertz Mustang is black on black, but at least it takes away the difficulty of having to pick a colur scheme.

• Like 1

Dare I say it, but I think the white looked about right with the blue. I can see what you mean about the outside stripes maybe being able to be a tad thinner though.

But the new paint job looks very good so I suspect you'll be caught up in no time.

Dare I say it, but I think the white looked about right with the blue. I can see what you mean about the outside stripes maybe being able to be a tad thinner though.

But the new paint job looks very good so I suspect you'll be caught up in no time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

I build the Cobra R, only colour choice white

Not necessarily - if you owned a real one and had the money you could paint it any colour you wanted - I do that with a lot of my 'Euromillions win dream garage' cars! 

I've got a green Ferrari F-40 build planned - they apparently only came in red from the factory but there's at least one real green one in existense and a few white ones too.

4 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

I might be happy to get to choose which colours to use :winkgrin:

Go on, let your imagination run wild....!! 🤣

Keith

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I've got a green Ferrari F-40 build planned - they apparently only came in red from the factory but there's at least one real green one in existense and a few white ones too.

And yellow, black, metallic blue, French blue. olive drab (which looks pretty sensational on an F40), pink, and gun metal. Plus probably a few more as well

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 81-er said:

olive drab (which looks pretty sensational on an F40),

That was my plan! :)

Don't think I'll do a pink one! Guess you can have one wrapped any colour you like now too.

K

Not so much fade to grey, more like back to blue. The white stripes are gone now and might not return. I've tried taping out a couple of alternative versions but couldn't quite commit to paint. I'm nearly out of blue after this latest rescue effort and the thought of needing another can for yet another rescue mission is more than I can handle.

20210715-084105.jpg

I'll leave this one for a day or two and things will no doubt be clearer after a break.

• Like 7

Despite saying I'm going to leave things alone for a while, I found myself working on the car again.

Little things have got done but they move the build on a bit.

The blue interior got fine tuned for color (US spelling). I've darkened it a tiny amount and its made a subtle difference.

I've used a Molotow pen to add windscreen frames for the first time. I thought I could run the pen along the raised edge and have done with it. The flow from the pens is a bit erratic though. Not enough pressure and the ink thins out over the run, too much pressure and you get a lake of the stuff. Masking the frames made life a lot easier but added another process to the job. Yet another skill to master. Get it right and the finish is incredible though. I really like the product.

20210715-192508.jpg

The hood on this car and the Hertz one have been drilled for hood pins. The kit moulded ones look wrong to me and the paint would obliterate them anyway, so they got sanded off at the start of the build. I'm going to try making my own pins. To replicate the base plates I've dipped a bit of round rod in Moltow ink and pressed it gently over the drilled holes. It worked fine. I've ordered some small dressmaking needles for the pin posts and some different gauge fine wires to make the pins and retaining wires.

Looking at the picture above, I see a bit of an orange peel finish going on. I'll have to do something about that.

More as it happens...

• Like 9

That really is a lovely colour (proper spelling!! :) )

I used to make my own scratchbuilt bonnet pins, then got lazy and started using p.e. ones and now will be even lazier as I've recently got some resin one piece ones done by Decalcas and DAB models which look very finely moulded.

That's a fine looking Mustang already!

Keith

• Thanks 1

It's got to be Hood, Fender, Trunk, Color and Tire and so on for a US build. Them's the rules. 😃

An hour in the shed this morning got things further advanced. The orange peel had to go. 7000 grit paper(!) used wet removed as much as I dared. The paper was so fine it left a presentable shine after using it. The back of the sheet was rougher than the sanding side. I gave the body and hood another wet coat of clear and it's all going to be left in the sun for the rest of the day.

20210716-090819.jpg

20210716-090857.jpg

20210716-091516.jpg

The good weather does mean I have no excuse not to do a bit of proper work outside, so this will be it for the day. There's always tomorrow though.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, TonyW said:

It's got to be Hood, Fender, Trunk, Color and Tire and so on for a US build. Them's the rules. 😃

OK, fair point, I consider myself told....!! 🤣

The shell(s) are looking lovely! 👍

Keith

• Thanks 1

It c

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

OK, fair point, I consider myself told....!! 🤣

Keith

It could be worse Keith, if it were a model of an ancient Egyptian chariot or something, I would have to write in Hieroglyphics.

• Haha 2

The build took a full on sixties vibe over the last day or so, with a bit of Pop Art making an appearance by accident.

I started laying out offcuts of card and coloured paper with no real idea where I was going with it all. Things took off on their own accord and I ended up here...

20210718-091616.jpg

I'm not about to go all full on Pretentious Artist here, but there's a whole lot of meaning in that posed scene for me. Groovy baby.

I don't know if I'll be rolling with that base, but I've had an absolute blast making it so far.

All together now... Hot town, summer in the city...

I really must get out a bit more.

A

• Like 9

36 minutes ago, TonyW said:

You Cats are in the groove. Far out!

Just catchin' the mellow vibe, and goin' with the flow, dude. Love and peace✌️

Are you seeing a dancing pink elephant? :elephant: Good, it's not just me then.

• Haha 6

Some pills make you larger, some pills make you small, but the ones that Mother gives you, don't do anything at all...

I'm really getting into this sixties thing man.

It will all come to a crashing halt when I start my '71 Otaki Mustang resto build.

Disco can't be far away. Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Stayin' Aliiiiive. 

• Haha 2

Let's get the thread back on a Mustang heading, a bit of Lalo Schifrin should do it...

Continuity is not its strong point, but I could watch it back to back for a day or two.

Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1