Revell Hertz Shelby Mustang, somewhat modified.

TonyW

An opening build from what I hope to be a series. It's a Revell Shelby Hertz Mustang that I painted badly eons ago. The black paint reacted with the plastic and it got put away and ignored. That's as far as the build got other than some Fireball tire decals. 

20201204-145649.jpg

First job is to sand back to smooth plastic. I very much doubt if I can save the badges as there is a bit of wrinkling going on in and around them. De-badging will be in order. 

I'll be building this one as a period mild street version, circa 1965 or so. Aftermarket wheels and tires, some speed goodies for the engine and a few interior dress ups. Colour, or as it's tires for an American build it should really be color, is as yet undecided.

Roll on Saturday!

Tony.

• Like 12

That'll be tomorrow, then!

1964,5 and 1965 Mustangs are surprisingly numerous even here in Finland nowadays. Whenever I see one, I wonder and admire how petite the early Mustangs are. They had very clean and smooth curves; roll on four more years, and the big bad bulging beasts - the same Mustang's they were, but after a steroid diet :wicked:

• Like 2

Tony, it looks like it needed a good primer. I had similar finishes in the past on car bodies. 

A good bath in Dettol should remove the paint. It'll cause less damage than rubbing it down. Just takes longer, (overnight).

• Thanks 1

My usual paint remover is neat bleach and an overnight bath Pete. The plastic has been etched a bit by the paint though so I'm stuck with sanding it down flat again.

I've not tried isopropanol before but I'll have to give it a go, thanks for the tip.

Right. It's 6.25 in the Fenns and the suns been up for ages. Best I get down the shed...

• Like 2

I'm back from the shed, with an update on the build. Coffee's on the way and the day is unfolding just fine.

400 and 800 W+D paper got things smooth again, at the expense of a few badges. Fair trade.

The plastic still shows where the paint reacted in places, but it's smooth to the touch.

20210710-081305.jpg

Tamiya fine primer added to see what else needs doing. Not too much, a seam or sink here and their and a couple of annoying scratches on the passengers door where I cut off the door handle. I'm going to have a go at making something better than the kit cast handles. I've never liked the solid kit versions, the look wrong to me and they get in the way of painting and finishing.

Fireball Modelworks do some nice resin ones, along with a whole load of other really good looking parts and decals.  I'll have a try at my own first.

20210710-084340.jpg

Here's a selection of period adverts I've just copied from a 1965 copy of Hot Rod. I get the feeling the Mustang was a bit popular!

20210710-084544.jpg

20210710-084654.jpg

20210710-084719.jpg

20210710-084802.jpg

20210710-085030.jpg

20210710-085116.jpg

20210710-085217.jpg

• Like 13

It does look better. Nice primer. I like the period adverts. 

Those Ford Cobra parts, At 1965 prices they would have been quite expensive $243 for twin carbs and the manifold!

It's been a while since I heard a reference to the Paxton Supercharger too. Nice bit of kit, but probably not a good idea with front drum brakes!

• Like 3

A busy day so far...

The body got a quick sanding with some 2000 grit paper just to remove any little nibs, followed by a couple of mist coats of Tamiya TS58, pearl light blue. A pale light blue with white racing stripes was the plan.

The interior tub and seats were also painted with the blue. I like the way many American cars mirror the interior colors with the body. My plan was to scrub in some blue oil paint and then remove nearly all of it with multiple dry brushings, leaving only a faint trace to bring out the kit interior details. That one kind of fell on its face when the oil paint didn't want to come off the way I envisaged. The blue seemed to stain the Tamiya finish, leaving a middle blue. It's not the setback I first thought as the color is pretty nice, if not what I was after!

A bigger problem presented itself when I offered up the light blue body. The two finishes didn't go together at all. The paler blue now looked almost grey against the interior tub. Tamiya came to the rescue though, with a few coats of TS54 Light Metallic Blue. That shade was pretty much the same as my interior accident and I'm more than happy to run with it. The two blues are very subtly different but look right.

20210711-122734.jpg

20210711-122927.jpg

My wheel choice is to run with period ARE (American Racing Mags) with narrow white band tires. Same size front and back. Whiteband tires seem a bit Mums and Dads to me, but just about everything wore them '64-'66 or so. They make a change from redlines I guess. The wheels came from a Revell '32 Ford Coupe kit.

They are the Hertz kit tires with some rather old Revell whiteband decals from a '66 Charger kit. Normally I would rather wear someone else's false teeth than try to get old Revell decals to work without falling apart, but these went on without too much drama. Having clear coated them years ago helped I guess.

As soon as I offered them up to the body I was more than happy. There's a few subliminal things going on here, the whitebands and the matching interior/exterior color shouts early Promo model to me and the blue is very 60's Shelby without being a direct copy.

I'll have to let this lot harden off before continuing, a day or two should do it. I'm on a bit of a Mustang roll at the moment though, so I'll be starting another to run alongside this one. A curbside Hertz car will probably get the nod.

More later.

• Like 11

Looking awesome so far Tony and the contrasting blues look superb and the wheels are a perfect choice 👌. Cracking start Tony this is gonna look great when finished 👍 

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't have thought to use that colour, but it suits it.  With the American mags and whitewalls,it sort of suggests a moneyed individual upgrading their car with Shelby parts.

• Like 1

More progress on the Blue Meanie,

The interior tub got darkened down a tad to bring the detailing out a bit more. Once dry enough it can get a coat of satin clear as a final finish. A bit of detailing will follow soon after that. The door cards need a chrome trim added and I'm having a think about that one. Dash needs detailing and maybe a pair of Drag slicks in the back. I've tried a couple and they fit OK. They look a lot better than the fold down back seat provided.

20210712-114757.jpg

Then things got serious. The body has been taped up and a great big racing stripe added.

20210712-152204.jpg

20210712-153009.jpg

I like the look a lot. I'm less happy about the edges of the stripes. There's a bit of bleed and rough edges showing. I'll see what can be done to cure that once things have hardened. I'm not panicking yet. Well, maybe a bit.

• Like 9

I'm not having a lot of luck with racing stripes at the moment. I've recovered the poor effort on the black Hertz build and now it's time to get this one back from the edge. 

A couple of things were niggling me. The white started to look far too loud, if that makes sense? I debated doing them in very pale grey or maybe silver and now wish I had. The proportions are a bit off as well. I like the centre stripe, maybe even do it a bit wider, but the edge ones look wrong. They need to be thinner and a bit closer to the centre one. No sense grumbling about it, might as well sort it out instead.

20210713-104823.jpg

In for a penny, in for a pound. 

Tony.

• Sad 1

Hi Tony sorry to hear about your issues with the stripes on your builds but if you're not happy with them changing them now is the right thing to do. Regarding the painting of the white stripes mate make sure you burnish the edges of the tape down before applying any paint i use a cocktail stick for this and it works well. But more importantly apply the white paint in very light coats and build up the density of the colour slowly. Paint bleed can be caused by applying the paint too thick take your time and I'm sure you'll get a good result 👍 Oh and are you using Tamiya masking tape 🤔 Reason being cheaper alternative tape doesn't always have a clean straight edge and this can cause issues when trying to achieve a straight line 🙂👍

Thanks Andy, all good info.

The tape is Tamiya, I've had bad results with budget stuff in the past. I thought I had burnished the edges down properly, but it seems not.

I am guilty of using too much paint though...

Not to worry, both Mustangs are now back to base colours, clear coated and drying in the sun. I will definitely, definitely, definitely let everything dry for at least the rest of today, it's pretty warm outside at the moment, which is how I've managed to speed up the recovery process.

20210713-130603.jpg

• Like 4

Nice recovery Tony 👍. With the black Mustang having a clear coat the decals should lay down easier than the first time. All I would say is go easy on the decal solutions and try to remove any excess immediately as sometimes the solutions can leave marks on the clear coat. Also don't have the water you use to remove the decals from the backing card to hot luke warm is more than enough especially on these thin decals. Not trying to be a know all Tony but I have built a few car kits and picked up a bit of knowledge on the way 😉 👍

• Thanks 1

As well as burnishing down the edges of the tape as Andy suggested, something else you can do is seal the tape edges with a light coat of clear - either lightly brushed or sprayed on, any creep under the tape should then just be clearcoat.

50 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

edit: unless the black car would get blue stripes,

I think that would look pretty cool !!

Keith

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

I think that blue interior would really pop in the black car :whistle:

though I know it would look out of place too!

edit: unless the black car would get blue stripes, right, where's my :coat:

Great minds think alike.

I've tried the blue interior in the black car and visa versa. Both look really good.

I want a Hertz car though, so I'm going to be firm with myself and stick with the black on black stock version. It's a shame the Hertz cars didn't have tan interiors, that would have looked rather posh against the black and gold outer.

The blue interior would really pop against an icebox white body. Then a set of blue stripes would really come into their own. This might happen, I took proper advantage of the cheapo kits available on the run up to the GB.

A red interior with a black body would be good. And a white one...

Help!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1