Vallejo Primer Drying Time

Herrick

I applied Vallejo Grey Primer to my Spit yesterday. Today I wanted to rub down some high spots but the primer is like a plastic film, too soft to work.

How long does it take for this stuff to harden?

What primers to other people use? (I use an airbrush)

Isn't Vallejo's primer latex based or something like that? I remember the general consensus was that you can't sand it because it just peels off.

I use Mr. Surfacer 1000/1200, but it's toxic stuff so really good ventilation is a must.

1 hour ago, bmwh548 said:

Isn't Vallejo's primer latex based or something like that?

oh darn, didn't know that when I bought it. It certainly peels off when you try to work it. Ok if you're 100% sure that you don't need to ... One of the beauties of primer is that it shows imperfections. Seems like a catch-22.

Vallejo primer is polyurethane based.  It dries to touch quickly but takes a few days (or more) to cure where it can be GENTLY sanded but even then it’s not that durable because it does not bond with the plastic like a lacquer primer does.  That said it provides a great base for applying Vallejo paint to and comes in a wide selection of useful colors.  The company’s YouTube channel has a good tutorial on its use.

I've just been watching some Youtube demos. Alklad seems to get very good reviews but is lacquer based. It seems you can sand it after about an hour quite successfully. I''ve never tried spraying with anything other than acrylics so lots of ventilation and a mask required, which I ensure I have anyway.

My favourite, which I've mentioned before is UMP primer. This is a rebottled/rebadged Badger Stynylrez  primer. Great stuff. Needs applying in thin layers, but is quite resilient, and can take a certain amount of sanding once fully cured (takes about 24 hours or so). 

They have been reviewed on this very site:

Edited by treker_ed
  • Like 1

If ventilation isn't an issue give Mr. Surfacer a go. I'm 99% certain you'll never want to try other manufacturers. It really bites into plastic, it's pretty much dry before you finish cleaning your airbrush, you can sand it without it peeling off and you can overcoat it with virtually anything. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1