Riga (Latvia) Aviation Museum - Bad News

Tiger331

Hi Folks,

Not that many are contemplating foreign travel at the moment, but for future planning, here is some information on the current status of the Riga Aviation Museum, based on my transit through Riga on business earlier this week.

For those that may be unfamiliar, the Riga Aviation Museum was co-located at the International Airport and could easily be seen by anyone transiting through the airport since it was less than 5 minutes walk from the Arrivals Hall. It was a superb (but rapidly deteriorating) collection of Soviet-era military aircraft and helicopters. Many of the exhibits were unique. Sadly it's prime location has become its downfall since the airport is currently undergoing massive expansion and the Museum was given its marching orders on 31 March 2021. The Airport had offered to move the entire collection to the other side of the airport but the downside would be that no-one could actually then visit and would only be able to view from their aircraft window or at distance from the terminal. The owner quite understandably refused this offer and is currently seeking alternative accommodation but, as I observed, the collection has already been broken up and dispersed with a fraction left at the airport. I understand a fund raising campaign has been started but the current status is unknown. As soon as I return to Estonia I will check with my Latvian colleagues and see if I can get further information but in the meantime, I would advise anyone planning to make a visit to cancel it for now. It is a great pity since it was the only collection of former Soviet types of any note in the region. 

fullsizeoutput_f5a

An example of one of the rarer types (Yak-28R 'Brewer D') previously on display at the Riga Aviation Museum. I can confirm (from my transit on Monday) that this particular aircraft still resides at the airport although its future fate is unknown (the photo was taken in 2018)

Mark  

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

• 3 weeks later...

Wow that's a shame I was there about 8 years ago or so and there was such a big collection hadn't seen a Mig 21 I  person before and there was about 6 or 7 and a Mig 25 and a ton more too many to remember. Lucky I saw it when I did I guess.

Just on the other side of the fence there was a backfire bomber as well looked like it was on the airport concrete it was quite something to see in person man I hope it all doesnt go to scrap that would be a shame.