Coastal Command's Battle of Britain pt2 (Beaufort)

Hi everyone,

With my Blenheim well underway it's time I got cracking on my second project for this fabulous Group Build. This one is Airfix' lovely new tool Beaufort, complete with Eduard photo etch, resin wheels and masks.

spacer.png

I'm going to build mine as a Battle of Britain era Beaufort to add to my expanding collection from this era. During the Battle of Britain the Beaufort played an increasingly active role in attacking invasion barges and ports, initially with bombs and later with torpedoes. Some of the pilots who went on to become well known exponents of torpedo bombing in the Mediterranean theatre and the Channel front in later years started their combat careers flying Beauforts at this time. I'm still to decide on a particular aircraft, but, as I usually do, rather than just use the kit decals, I'm reading through my references and downloading Operations Record Books from the National Archives to help me choose something a little different.

I've made a start already and I'll be back with progress very soon!

Thanks for looking!

Matt

• Like 2

Well I did mention I've made a start already - in fact this is falling together so quickly I'm a little behind with posting with this one. So here's what I got up to this week (quite a lot actually!).

First, a bit of assembly. As usual with bulkheads, I'm allowing the assembly to dry inserted into the fuselage to allow perfect alignment. As with other Airfix Beaufort builders, I can report the fit is perfect.

spacer.png

After a bit of painting I started adding the photo etch, starting with the pilot's console. There's a bit of fiddly bending involved but I managed it without breaking it for a change!

spacer.png

Here's the wireless operator's instruments. These are inside the cabin and may just be visible through a tiny window - probably not though. In any case I've added the instruments "because I'll know there are there"!

spacer.png

And here is the same bulkhead now installed.

spacer.png

More assembly. Nothing much to report here!

spacer.png

And finally, I assembled and installed the photo-etch seat. I usually make such a hash of these that the kit parts look better and I end up not using the PE. This one however is cleverly designed, with tabs at the back allowing the seat to be bent and locked into position. Here it is, installed - and I've also assembled the Airfix seat (to the side) for comparison. I really like the detail on the PE version.

spacer.png

Well that's all for now, but I'm sure to post again in the next couple of days as I'm now progressing with the photo etch detail on the fuselage sides, and this is also coming together quite quickly.

Happy modelling all!

Matt

• Like 7

Great start and progress Matt. You’re doing a wonderful job with this Beaufort kit and it sounds like you’re really enjoying yourself. There’s something really novel about these new tooled Airfix kits, the ones I’ve built have all assembled quite well indeed. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• 2 weeks later...

The Beaufort has continued to fall together quite quickly, although I've been concentrating just as much on researching a particular aircraft to build, which to me is a big part of the fun! 

Progress update

First I've continued on with the forward part of the cockpit. You may remember that previously I replaced the pilot's seat with a PE one. I also did the same for the forward seat, which was quite delicate but I managed to bend the seat back to shape around a pen, which worked quite well. 

spacer.png

I've since closed the fuselage up:

spacer.png

And test fitted the wings.

spacer.png

And that's where she's up to now, starting to look like a Beaufort.

Markings

I've also been looking through Operations Record Books (ORBs) looking for particularly interesting crews from around 1940 to supplement by collection of Coastal Command Battle of Britain aircraft. Several stand out. One is Flt Lt R. P. M. Gibbs' crew from 22 Squadron. Gibbs would go on to become a driving force behind increasing attacks on Axis shipping using Beauforts based on Malta. I discarded this option but may well build one of his Malta aircraft later. Another was Sqn Ldr R. E. X. Mack of 22 Squadron, who, on 17 September 1940, led a six Beauforts on a night attack on Cherbourg Harbour in coordination with Blenheims of 59 Squadron. He later took part in Beaufighter operations with the North Coates wing. Again a very interesting subject.

However, I've chosen another crew who participated in two particularly eventful operations in their aircraft, L4491/ "AW-R" of 42 Squadron, during 1940. The crew was captained by Plt Off (later Sqn Ldr) Gerald Sebastian Patrick Rooney.

21/6/1940: Dive-Bombing attack on the Scharnhorst: Plt Off G. S. P. Rooney, Fg Off Simmonds, Sgt. Little, Sgt. Knott

The German battleship Scharnhorst was participating in Operation Weserübung, the German invasion of Denmark and Norway, and had previously famously sunk the aircraft carrier Glorious and the destroyers Ardent and Acasta; however damage forced the Scharnhorst to put in to Trondheim for repairs. These were complete by 20th June, which allowed Scharnhorst to proceed to Germany.  

En-route, the Scharnhorst was subjected to two air attacks, firstly by six Swordfish, and then by nine Beauforts of 42 Squadron, which dive-bombed the German battleship Scharnhorst off Norway, each with two 500lb bombs. The Scharnhorst was accompanied by six destroyers and one M.T.B., which put up an intense anti-aircraft barrage. Despite this, Plt Off Trigance (in Beaufort L9812) claimed a hit on Scharnhorst by No.1 turret, and Plt Off Rooney (Beaufort L4491) claimed a hit astern. Two pilots, Sqn Ldr Smith and Flt Lt Wright also claimed a near miss amidships. The Beauforts were then set upon by Messerschmitt Bf109s. LAC Begbie, air gunner in Sqn Ldr Smith's aircraft, claimed one shot down. However Fg Off Barrie Smith's aircraft was set on fire, the starboard undercarriage dropped and his aircraft plunged into the sea. Two others, piloted by Plt Off Rigg and Fg Off Seagrim, also failed to return, presumed shot down by the 109s. Rooney, Trigance and Smith were awarded D.F.C.s for their role in this action.

Torpedo attack on Boulogne Harbour: Plt Off G. S. P. Rooney, Fg Off Simmonds, Sgt. Little, Sgt. Henry

On 10 October 1940, two Beauforts, flown by Plt Off Rooney (L4491 again) and Flt Lt Hibberd (N1150), set out to attack Boulogne Harbour with torpedoes. 42 Squadron's ORB doesn't clarify this, but it was a coordinated attack also featuring three Blenheims of 59 Squadron. The ORB describes the action well:

Set out to torpedo vessels reported lying off Boulogne Harbour.  On arrival found vessels in harbour.  Both aircraft dropped their torpedoes at the entrance to the harbour.  F/Lt. Hibberd saw his explode before hitting any vessels.  Intense Flak fire throughout the attack.  Beaufort L4491 was attacked by 4 (four) Me109s.  Their first burst of fire put the hydraulics and turret out of commission, so the pilot dived to sea level and carried out avoiding action, shaking off two of the enemy aircraft.  Over Dover, F/Lt. Hibberd dived on the two remaining Me109s firing his front gun.  The enemy aircraft sheered off although the front gun of N1150 had jammed.  F/O. Rooney, who had received five shrapnel punctures and was faint, handed over the controls to F/O. Simmonds who had received a wound to his knee.  F/O. Simmonds brought the aircraft and landed at their base with the undercarriage retracted.  F/Os. Rooney and Simmonds ceased to be attached to Thorney Island on admittance to R.N. Hospital Haslar.

Torpedo attack on heavy cruiser Lützow off Norway: Sqn Ldr G. S. P. Rooney, FSgt. Beach, Sgt. Knott, Flt Sgt Eason

This is a little outside the scope of my intention to build a Battle of Britain era Beaufort, but another reason for building one of Rooney's aircraft. As if attacking the Scharnhorst wasn't enough, in 1941 Rooney, by then a Squadron Leader, led a torpedo attack on the heavy cruiser Lützow.

On 12 June 1941 after a lengthy series of repairs, the Lützow sailed for commerce raiding operations in the Atlantic in company with the Admiral Scheer. Forewarned by deciphered Enigma signals, the battleship King George V and cruisers and destroyers of the home fleet set sail from Scapa Flow to intercept. Meanwhile five Beauforts of 22 Squadron and nine of 42 Squadron took off just before midnight on 12 June 1941 to also attack the Lützow. At 00.15 am, a 114 Squadron Blenheim sighted the Lützow and radioed her position. Two hours later, off Egersund, the Beauforts attacked. Rooney's crew no doubt performed a perfect attack but unfortunately their torpedo failed to release. However, other aircraft were more successful. One torpedo struck the Lützow on the port side, disabling her electrics and leaving her motionless, severely listing to port. The destroyer Friedrich Eckodt took the Lützow in tow to Kiel and was out of action for another six months of repairs.

Rooney flew operationally until 30 August 1941 when his aircraft hit a hill after takeoff near Fife in Beaufort L9834 "AW-V", all crew members being killed.

These were just a couple of examples of the Beauforts' role early in their career, and it has been fascinating and sobering to read through the ORBs (not to mention books such as "Coastal Dawn" by Andrew Bird and "An Expendable Squadron" by Roy Conyers Nesbit) and find out more about just what these crews went through.

That's all for now, hopefully I'll get some more done in the coming days.

Matt

Edited by MattG
Added more info
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Great progress, Matt, and thank you for sharing your fascinating research into just a handful of these incredibly brave crews.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark! It certainly is fun researching all of this, and as you say gives an insight into how brave the crews were. I’m glad you’re finding it interesting.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...