Revell Uboat IX C 1:72 Build

Little update: I started to go down a path with the deck and …… I decided to change paths.  I sprayed the deck a color I did not love, I questioned my previous masking choices, and my plan seemed faulty.  I scrapped that idea, removed the previous masking on the decks and sprayed the deck a different color (dark grey) with a lot less masking.  I added a little base layer dry brush to the deck.  So far I like it better.  I touched up the conning tower, little filler, reshot with base color,  painted the floor with a darker grey base,  added a base wood color to CT interior. 

51374218142_608edfe9f3_b.jpg

I seem to have misplaced or lost my stock decal sheet.  I will restart my search again tomorrow very disappointed I was not more careful.  In the event it’s not found I need to figure out a back up plan for graphics.  😕  Another hard lesson learned.  

• Like 6

This weekend I touched up my conning tower a bit.  There was a small patch job that could have better. I took care of that. I Airbrushed some other minor touch ups from handling.  I added a light layer of varnish as I prepare for weathering this week. 

I have located my missing decals. Omg that was miserable.  On a positive note I remodeled my whole workbench after removing it all out in the driveway. 

Edited by Goji308
  • Like 2

I noticed over the weekend a part, a small “A” frame gun support arm,  came off my conning tower that was lightly glued to the floor.  It’s still missing in action.  I have not tried soldering yet when it comes to fine scale models, but I do want to learn in the near future.  So I tried to make my own.  I bought some .030 brass rod and with a dedicated  cutter I cut a few pieces out and filed the edges.  I used a CA gel with a pin. After applying it to both sides and letting it dry.   I lightly sanded both sides making the frame less round and a little more flat. 
It was surprisingly solid after it dried.  In hind sight the cross beam could have been smaller and installed a little closer to the top of the A shape to more closely resemble the missing part.  

51386365120_302f81f455_b.jpg

51385606893_ac13504cfc_b.jpg

51386365135_8ef3dc685a_b.jpg

I have seen a few pictures with the weapon pointed vertically while the Uboat is coming to port.  I’m curious to know if while on operations and submerged if the weapon is in this position with the  “A” frame in use for rigidity.  

51385606938_e329fb5a7d_b.jpg

• Like 6

I’m fairly certain the gun was secured at a right angle with a cable on the barrel lashed to the deck. However U-33 a type VII-a that’s I’m working on at the moment was sunk near where I live and divers say the gun on the wreck at the rear of the conning tower is pointing straight up…

• Like 1

Gidday, well done scratch building that 'A' frame, it looks very good. As for the position of the horizontal beam, well I wouldn't have known if it was too low if you hadn't mentioned it. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Looking good all round - very nice work 

Pleased to hear about the relocated decals though these would have been a substitute...

https://amp.rokket.biz/decals.shtml

Rob

Thanks Rob,

Yes, while the decals were missing I ordered a decal replacement sheet from Amp.rocket.  I also ordered a peddinghaus decal sheet with optional decals.
Good grief.  I now have a great selection of Uboat insignia options for the future.  Options, options, options. 

Valkyrie:  thank you for sharing the information on the U-33

Arnold: I appreciate the comments on the A frame. 

One of the details on the deck has been a little bit of an issue.  Basically there is a small Nipple at the bottom of the mount and small divot in the deck. The detail has popped off a few times so I decided to file of the nipple and drill it with a pin vice. I added & glued in a small brass .030 pin for more surface area for the glue to grab onto.  After drilling out the divot on the deck I glued the detail in place. Much stronger now. 

51392106652_6afc798dc5_b.jpg

Next steps: to join the upper & lower conning tower together and start the weathering process. 

Say a prayer for me. 

Edited by Goji308
Grammar
  • Like 4

It’s been a a week or so since I’ve posted any progress.  I just returned from a glamping trip in Healdsburg California with the family. 
a while back I was building a few rockets and came across an old kit for an HARM rocket. It was super old school, a builders kit.  It did not have a tail cone or a pre formed boat-tail end.   You had to make it from paper and paint it with crazy glue.  It actually worked really well.  

51408546666_45b09ac8cd_b.jpg

51409524530_a3dde3395e_b.jpg

This morning I decided to attempt making the hardware (hooks, and pots)  that the anchor is attached to while coming into port.

51409354964_325b72a8b7_b.jpg

I was extremely awkward cutting paper, bending it shape, painting it with CA.  In hind sight a thin coffee stir or small cocktail straw would have been easier.  I still might try a straw in the future, once I obtain a few.  We will have to wait to see how this paper experiments works   
making anchor pots.

51408873223_c6246aaf53_b.jpg

Anchor hook (unfinished)

51409359609_9b2e8c8db9_b.jpg

51409525010_8cfcbd3350_b.jpg

51409578685_b623d7cfd3_b.jpg

They pots look a little large to me. I will have to go treat myself to a bowl of poki or a sushi roll in hope to get some micro straws at a restaurant.   :)

Edited by Goji308
  • Like 6

I have started my weathering process for this Uboat.  I was originally aiming for around a 3 to 5 out of 10 as far as weathering.  I think I went a tad more distressed than I had planned.  I think once you start it’s really tough to hold back as I read other previous posts regarding adding and experimenting with weathering processes. 

While thinking about the steps I would try on my Uboat it was really tough when your looking at historical pictures of brand new boats in dry docks just completed to pictures of Uboats that are extremely heavily weathered & damaged.  
I have never used chipping before and I really like it now that I have tried it on the deck.  AK heavy chipping is a little over the top for me as my deck coating came off real fast on the forward deck portion.   I went back to the store to try AK interactive Worn Effects and I like the pace it came off the deck with slight agitation.  I definitely need more practice with both products for a more varied look.  

Here are some pictures of the uboat decks I was trying to emulate.  I liked in areas where you can see some of the natural wood showing through the non-slip protective coating.  A friend and I discussed where is the wood and what’s metal on the decks at some length.  The historical pictures definitely spoke. 

51409640510_8212169502_b.jpg

Various pictures of a worn Uboat deck  

51409425589_650b95f1a9_b.jpg

51409646040_e689691899_b.jpg

51408668996_5e7ecaf4a5_b.jpg

I was up till 2am in the garage weathering up the decks.  Here they are just lying loosely on the hull still (WIP).

Still more to come.  

Edited by Goji308
Grammar
  • Like 11

On 8/8/2021 at 7:31 AM, Goji308 said:

I bent up a piece of aluminum TIG welding rod into a bench side holder.

Run a flame over the ends of the braided sleeving and it won't continue to unravel on you.

The boat is looking very nice. I think it will be very impressive when it's done.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 12:25 AM, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Ooh yes, given the above photos, I think that has come out real nice (and might also be considered too restrained).

David

Thank you David. 

On 8/29/2021 at 1:07 AM, mick said:

great progress

Thank you Mick.

22 hours ago, europapete said:

This is coming along very nicely, well done on the deck weathering. The anchor hooks you speak of are actually for the life belts, not anchors. Nit picking I know, we all knew what you meant, lol. Regards, Pete in RI. 

Pete, oh my, can’t believe I mis-spoke regarding “anchor” instead of the life preservers/ life belts.  :)  elderly moment. 

22 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Run a flame over the ends of the braided sleeving and it won't continue to unravel on you.

The boat is looking very nice. I think it will be very impressive when it's done.

Thank you for the tip on the braided sleeve.  I will try this. 
Thank you all for looking at the build, the encouragement, & the compliments.  

Started the weathering on misc items, the anchor, periscopes, & the propellers. More to come ..

51412836080_fab94c5f0b_b.jpg

• Like 8

19 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Sorry, another 'ooh' moment from me here. How'd you get the props to look like that?

Davdi

Ditto...........those props are exceptional.

How was it done?

Andy.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 3:12 PM, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Sorry, another 'ooh' moment from me here. How'd you get the props to look like that?

Davdi

6 hours ago, AndyPG said:

Ditto...........those props are exceptional.

How was it done?

Andy.

Thank you for the kudos!
I base coated the props a while back with a ( Earth Yellow).

After striking out on finding a tutorial online, I had to wing it.  
I gave the props a brownish wash to make it look more like an oxidized bronze, keeping the wash more concentrated at the base of the props.

51416854765_c69dd74567_b.jpg

I added a few light small dots (gray & white) dabbing them with the brush which caused a milky look.  After the props dried, I added more dots strategically around the non-leading edge.  I let them dry for a few minutes then dabbed the dots to make them softer or more transparent.  Several of the dots left a ring which was kind of cool like a micro crater.  Rinse and repeat until I got the look I was going for.  Yesterday evening I added a few more dots in several light greens and dabbed the dots faintly. I did the same process to the backside of the props as well.  Hope this helps.  

51417111815_9fa7d3a589_b.jpg

Edited by Goji308
Added paint color
  • Thanks 2

I weathered the center/ periscope console of the conning tower & some of the deck guns.

51418209271_4c17b195d0_b.jpg

51418450713_e234f8c687_b.jpg

I made / customized some internal threaded nuts PEM  (8-32) that fit nicely inside the 1:72 Revell uboat kits.  They are made from aluminum with Stainless threads.  Should do the trick.  

51417445767_f1411ba5a0_b.jpg

51418450688_65d3b17f16_b.jpg

Today at work I made a quick template for my desired hole pattern (8” center to center) for my display base.

51417446232_afbaa6eb85_b.jpg

I drew up a basic plan to create a display case.  Will make that it the near future

51418450758_58fb1558ca_b.jpg

I made some quick Aluminum standoffs for the uboat, 3.625 long threaded 8-32 on the Harding’s lathe. I sent them out to be black anodized with a batch of parts from work .

51418450733_068524b7bb_b.jpg

Tomorrow I plan on painting  the conning tower two tone color pattern, possibly adding 3 bars of camouflage to the upper hull.  More to come..,

• Like 5

19 hours ago, AndyPG said:

Great stuff Brian.

You've got a great eye for this weathering lark.

Looks just right.

Andy.

Andy, thank you!  I am learning a lot on this model.  A lot of trial & error and so far I’ve been pretty lucky.  

Tonight I attempted to make the conning tower two colors, separated by an arc.  This definitely was a first time for me and was fun. This might be a Segway adding several gray bars to the upper light gray hull.  
My first try both sides were not symmetrical where the arc started and ended. I masked one of the sides again with a new mask and sprayed it again.  Both sides are very close to symmetrical.  Tomorrow I’ll clean up my lines and start weathering. 

Here I am creating a blue tape mask from my paper template. This tape mask is backwards and had to be redone since I’m spraying the dark gray. Oof.

51420875908_23460dc863_b.jpg

Spraying the tower again  

51421604785_b79682b659_b.jpg

• Like 5

This evening I wanted to put a black cap on the front foot of the conning tower and do a little touch up on one of splash guards? 

51423053893_a28b129a71_b.jpg

Came out pretty clean despite the blue tape.  

51422795511_14f2a71b87_b.jpg

I took off the mask I had on some of the rear edge wood decks and hand painted them. I am preparing the decks for an exterior coat in chipping solution, then a coat of grey to chip some wear patterns. 

51423781210_704033cc20_b.jpg

51422795596_48db18e699_b.jpg

I will do some additional weathering on the deck tomorrow once it’s nice and dry   

51422048062_4327cb0f6c_b.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

That deck has come out looking very good indeed, and you've really made those details pop! Love the mug too.

David

Thank you David.   I have dragged my feet on the deck for it’s seems like a while. I tried to embellish the areas around the hatches, weapons where possibly more wear could be.  

lol, the mug was given to me by my 11 year old son for Fathers Day.  He has quite the sense of humor.  

• Like 1

This morning I drilled out the mounting  holes in the keel of the boat. The fixture worked great.  

51424896708_1c47c72f18_b.jpg

During the weathering process the visor detached. It was kind of nice getting access underneath the eaves.  Simply reattached after I was done weathering.  

51425416969_94cfb4c30d_b.jpg

Added decals in the middle of the weathering process, good grief..  😕 

It appears the less you touch the decals the better, even with a wet brush.  
One decal, the depth/waterline increment decal was severed as it came off the sheet.  I noticed it had a small stress crease in the decal sheet.  I managed to line it up after quite a few tries. (Wipes sweat off brow).  It felt like I was trying to disarm a bomb in the movies.  

51423897612_a3728c8ae9_b.jpg

Edited by Goji308
  • Like 5

I have completed all the rails, hand holds, ladders, & the wintergarden  on the U-67. Periscope console is now attached, voice tubes, and other misc small parts.   

I will let the decals cure over night before attempting to lightly weather them and blend them in with the rest of the tower. 
I have epoxied the threaded base mounts in the inner hull so they could also use some time to cure too .

51425378851_fe30c53d45_b.jpg

I have not seen too many color photos of Uboats up close, but I wonder if you could see the color of the starboard and port navigation light lenses while they are not illuminated? The more I think about this; the red and the green lenses would be real dark.  Also on a large scale model 1:72 vs a 250ft/76m Uboat you probably would not see this detail on a 1:72 model.  

I am trying to decide how much of the loop Antennae I want to display…  hmm. 

Edited by Goji308
  • Like 1