1/48 Corsair £4 from Wish

Perusing the Wish app on my phone I happened upon the model kits. This caught my eye as it was cheap. I left it for a while and eventually it came down in price even more. £4 posted! 

Had to give it a go. 

Package arrived after around two weeks. Pretty speedy really. 

20210706_144634

It's molded in black plastic, but someone has already hit this with primer or white paint of some type. The panel lines are like huge caverns and the rivets stand proud rediculously high. 

20210706_144823 20210706_144913 20210706_145015

Comes with a canopy that slides backwards and rubber tyres. Nice little touch 👌

The office is actually pretty well detailed too. 

20210706_144959

The kit has plenty of locators and pretty much clicks together. Cement only needed to place the landing gears and the cockpit inside the fuselage halves. 

It also seems to be a very soft plastic. Almost like a butyil rubber is mixed in with it. Gives the parts a little flex, which honestly didn't matter and even helped in some places. 

I only rubbed down the seams a little, the dust clinging together and rolling up slightly, this is only a cheap mess around. So no need to sand, fill, sand, fill. 

20210706_172044 20210706_172055

All put together within an hour. I just used clothes pegs to hold the wings whilst tamiya thin did its work. 

Since its got white paint on it. May as well base it in white. 

20210706_184339

Then a lovely silver all over 

20210706_233309

Right. Well I've never done hairspray chipping before. So this seems like the best time. Gloss, hairspray, yellow, then chip. 

20210708_185822 20210708_190641

Sorry for the blurry pic there. I've glossed it again, sprayed hairspray on it and will proceed with the only blue I have, an big tube of kiddies acrylic, very low on pigment, so will take several layers out of the airbrush. 

Will update with pics of that tomorrow. 

All in all quite a cute little kit, even if its pretty brutal with its deep panel lines and braille like rivets. 

Thanks for looking 

🐧

• Like 9

I had no idea there were models on Wish, might have to go have a look-see myself.  Is there any indication of where it originated, other than "China?"

It looks fairly good overall in spite of the HEAVILY OVERSTATED DETAILS.  The illustration looks to be borrowed from the cover art on the Academy 1/72 F4U.  The decals (or are they stickers?) look pretty rough, though.  Altogether it sort of reminds me of kits from a low-end Korean outfit called "Idea" that issued some stunningly craptacular kits around 1990 or so, complete with decals printed on a clapped out mimeograph and unintentionally hilarious histories and directions in bad Engrish.

Can't wait to see how your chipping experiment turns out, looks like you're on the right track.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

I had no idea there were models on Wish, might have to go have a look-see myself.  Is there any indication of where it originated, other than "China?"

It looks fairly good overall in spite of the HEAVILY OVERSTATED DETAILS.  The illustration looks to be borrowed from the cover art on the Academy 1/72 F4U.  The decals (or are they stickers?) look pretty rough, though.  Altogether it sort of reminds me of kits from a low-end Korean outfit called "Idea" that issued some stunningly craptacular kits around 1990 or so, complete with decals printed on a clapped out mimeograph and unintentionally hilarious histories and directions in bad Engrish.

Can't wait to see how your chipping experiment turns out, looks like you're on the right track.

The 'decals' are indeed STICKERS 😂

From a patchy greenish colour 

20210709_004614

After eleventy thousand passes with the airbrush we're finally blue. 

20210709_174024

Hoping the hairspray that went on last night will still be effective. 

No point in using the 'decals' provided with the kit. I suppose I'll have to airbrush them on and hand chip them. 

🐧

• Like 1

Well 😂😂😂😂

Bearing in mind I've never done this before. I started way to rough. Then decided to carry on. Interesting to see how the paint reacted when reactivated with water. 

Lesson learned. Are you ready to see the disaster........ 

2021-07-09_08-40-41

I've already scrubbed everything off, dried it under the hairdryer and sprayed it silver again. 

I'll have another, more careful go at it tomorrow 😂

Thanks for looking, hope you've had a laugh at my expense.

🐧

Try mixing the blue acrylic art paint with a varnish, maybe Clear or the like.

Art paints have no 'fixer' in them for putting on plastic and this adding them to varnish materials is something I have been considering

Wish huh?

Looks like a teaser site at best, must give it consideration next...

Hairspray? I dont know enough about the technique.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, perdu said:

Try mixing the blue acrylic art paint with a varnish, maybe Clear or the like

Hairspray? I dont know enough about the technique.

I had thought about mixing it with some 'normal' paint for the fixer as you say. 

The hairspray is under the blue. When reactivated with water it acts like chipping fluid. 

🐧

• Like 1