Tamiya 1/12 Big Scale Williams Renault FW14B - Super detail

13 minutes ago, Malc2 said:

Good stuff, always nerve wracking cutting up a kit this expensive!

Is the BT55 from Neko in Brazil, or the super rare S27/Hiro kit?

I would be really interested in some pictures of the kit if you don't mind, as I have always wanted one.

You could say the BT55b became the MP4/4 by virtue of the fact that the designer Gordon Murray moved to McLaren and had another stab at the low line concept, and we all know how that car dominated the 1988 season! Although some sources have down played GM's input to the MP4/4, the visual similarities between the two cars is undeniable.

Malc.

Oh no...my bad. Typo, just the Tamiya re-release Brabham BT44B..sorry for causing a stir in your loins Malc. 😆 Apologies. must proof read stuff...

On 14/08/2021 at 17:50, Malc2 said:

Aww shucks.....

Never mind, still looking forward to your BT44 build!

Who did you buy it from?

M.

Via E-bay (WWSM), only £99 so had to really, be next build, again, basically OOB same as Tyrell P34. Love the Martini colour schemes...

Thanks

Peter

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Crikey, modelling F1 cars is almost as expensive as the real thing! I'm a bit late to the party but I'll tag along of you don't mind. The word iconic gets somewhat overused... but to a 12-year-old me in 1992 this car was the business (I also had a soft spot for the Benetton B192).

Fascinating stuff, great work 😎

• Like 1

On 26/08/2021 at 22:54, Bobby No Mac said:

Crikey, modelling F1 cars is almost as expensive as the real thing! I'm a bit late to the party but I'll tag along of you don't mind. The word iconic gets somewhat overused... but to a 12-year-old me in 1992 this car was the business (I also had a soft spot for the Benetton B192).

Fascinating stuff, great work 😎

Hi Bobby...welcome to my nightmare...😆😀

They are only as expensive as you want to make them. My Tyrell P34 looks great pretty much out of the box...

spacer.png

Edited by Peter Milgate
Photo hosting update

So as I am working on the body, I am having to wait for stuff to set or dry so will continue with story of front wing progress...wing was constructed then went under the knife...

spacer.png  spacer.png

Some injector pin holes on underside...just a few...

spacer.png 

I had some previous difficulty with cheap decals cracking and breaking apart making work very difficult and tedious, therefore I resorted to the Rust-oleum...

spacer.png  spacer.png

This helped but they became quite rigid, but remained mainly in one piece...much better then how they were!!

spacer.png  spacer.png

Work progressed with Top Studio garnish...some PE flaps top and bottom with supporting wires.

The differing shades of carbon fibre look nice I think...and that's all that matters...😀

spacer.png   spacer.png

spacer.png   spacer.png

spacer.png   spacer.png

This could have been better, but with my skills, could have been much worse. Overall, pleased with how it looks. It just awaits a clear coat and is safely stored away for time being while my body work nightmare continues...in a vain bid to avoid facing it I have looked at doing the exhausts...

spacer.png   spacer.png

spacer.png

Both banks with sensors attached and exhaust clamps as per original reference material. 

Colours are different as I am trying to find good basis to start from. Neither is a close match to original colour really. Test of Alclad (Pale Burnt Metal) and Vallejo (xhaust Manifold) and direct to plastic via brush, so probably might benefit from proper undercoat and spraying. I will break out the airbrush tomorrow...and I need Tamiya weathering colours for burnt metals...oh well, stuff is happening and I don't build very quickly...

Edited by Peter Milgate
Photo hosting update
  • Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Following your build with great interest. Have the same kit (with the the Topstudio detail sets), just trying to find the courage to start with it :-). In the meantime hoping TopStudio will also release the detail kit for the engine, which seems logical since they already did the rest of the car. 

Did you already find an alternative for the windscreen? I did manage to get my hands on the Acustion screen, but was informed by somebody that the fitting is very poor. Could go for vacuum forming it myself, but don't have the equipement for this yet.

Anyway, very impressed by your progress sofar, looks amazing!

• Like 1

About to embark on this very project!! I'll follow along if you don't mind.

Loving that carbon on the front wing, it's the first I've seen with the threads printed onto it, quite a prominent feature on this car, looking forward to your progress.

Lee

• Like 1

On 17/09/2021 at 09:30, Remco said:

Following your build with great interest. Have the same kit (with the the Topstudio detail sets), just trying to find the courage to start with it :-). In the meantime hoping TopStudio will also release the detail kit for the engine, which seems logical since they already did the rest of the car. 

Did you already find an alternative for the windscreen? I did manage to get my hands on the Acustion screen, but was informed by somebody that the fitting is very poor. Could go for vacuum forming it myself, but don't have the equipement for this yet.

Anyway, very impressed by your progress sofar, looks amazing!

Thanks Remco, not so much as looked at windscreen yet??? Now all nervous about what that may be hiding...but if I don't look, I won't have to worry about it!! 😐

Time for an update...warning, picture heavy...

First off, exhausts. Couple of pics following application of Tamiya burnt powders and gloss varnish:

spacer.png spacer.png

It's subtle but I like it. 

We then continued with bodywork : Cut nose off, fitted Top Studio bulkheads??. Decided to add magnets to aid supporting front wing to chassis.

Then noticed crap joint due to my over eager use of sanding sticks. This was rectified using epoxy putty which appears quite strong and easy to use. 

spacer.png  spacer.png  

spacer.png  spacer.png

spacer.png

I know these look dodgy, but the end result was good enough for me following more filing, sanding and filling...bodywork was then primered with white primer...note to self...don't use white primer on a white body. Blood impossible to see where you've been and where you need to go. This was my first, real use of an airbrush and struggled with thinning of primer, in hindsight I would use pre-thinnned stuff, but its all a learning curve at present. Rubbed down with 1500 and 3000 grit stuff. Primer (AK Acrylic) was followed by Zero paints Williams colour set, white first. Note to self, don't use white primer for white cars...should have learnt by now!!!

spacer.png  spacer.png

Moving up the colour chart, the yellow was next...

spacer.png  spacer.png

So naturally, next colour was blue...again from Zero Paint. Each application done using three to four light coats, building up colour gradually...I am hoping to avoid using Tamiya decals as much as possible due to mine being a right pain due to old age, both mine and the decals. They are very brittle, crack and disintegrate with just a hard stare...so am trying to do solid colours with airbrush and use just stripes for lines...so the blue was applied following careful masking.

spacer.png

Once masks were removed this is the result...

spacer.png   spacer.png

spacer.png   spacer.png

spacer.png

Not perfect, but for my first adventure with an airbrush I am very pleased. Some yellow sneaked in on one side pod, most of which then went under the blue section, and on unmasking, some yellow lifted. These will be easily remedied when time permits. 

Under the cowls on the chassis I shall be spraying some black, and inside the cockpit, though I have textured carbon fibre for that area. The Zero paints dry in a satin but these will lift once decals are applied and clear coat is on. Hope to get this completed in next couple of weeks which will allow cockpit to be started...

I am really enjoying it, had sooo much anxiety about nose joint and use of airbrush and am pleased with my work to correct those mistakes. The old adage of check, check, check. 

The Zero paints have been flawless and easy to use. I use an electric stirrer thing and am being careful to avoid heavy, wety coats. Colours in natural light appear uniform and very good. Not convinced they match the Tamiya decal colours but that remains to be seen, apparently they are supposed to. 

Till next update...

Edited by Peter Milgate
Photo hosting update
  • Like 10

22 minutes ago, Malc2 said:

Pete, the Williams is really looking good now!

@Remco - Welcome to Britmodeller! - Are you the same Remco who is making POF HMS Kingfisher in 1/48?

M.

No, that is not me. Completely new here. After a modelling sabbatical, trying to start things up again. Have a 40% finished Fujimi Williams FW16 on the bench that is waiting to be completed 🙂

And thanks for accepting me on this forum!

Edited by Remco
  • Like 2

On 19/09/2021 at 19:39, Matt Crane said:

The engine upgrade kit is about to be published…

I know, Spotmodel have it listed for preorder but I shall leave my engine as it is. Can't be bottomed with all that rebuild and I have a full set for the McLaren to build. Actually quite keen to get to the straight build of my Brabham as I bought my older brother one for a birthday pressie and would like to build alongside his...I'm pleased with my engine, parts Ihave added are good enough for me. 

Sometimes, you just have to draw the line....

In reality, I'll probably order the bloody thing....😆

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, Redstaff said:

I must admit, I wasn't going to order the engine set, but as I've got all the others I ordered one when the notification came in. I've got the willpower of a gnat 🤣🤣

Same willpower here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, silver911 said:

Surprised they din't include the metal air funnels or the drive shafts at that level of detail !

The air funnels were an earlier set so they are all ready available

Driveshafts are new though 

• Like 1