Tamiya 1/12 Big Scale Williams Renault FW14B - Super detail

New Build...

I've long been an F1 fan and loved seeing Mansell charge around Silverstone. This is one of the most technically advanced F1 cars ever built. Active suspension, 1000+bhp and battles between Mansell, Senna and Prost to keep me hooked. At last I am now able to purchase this kit and get the detail sets it deserves...

To be a bit crass, I have spared no expense. I hope I can do the Top Studio parts justice.

The kit is a Tamiya so should be excellent, I have colour matched Zero Paints, a set of carbon fibre decals and the full five sets of Top Studio loveliness...

I'm very nervous so next few days will be familiarising myself with standard kit build and how to incorporate the Top Studio parts. Painting will be my first foray into airbrushing...for about 30 years...

spacer.png  spacer.png  spacer.png

spacer.png  

I did look on interweb for some references and struggled despite this being a (fairly) recent car. I was disappointed with the images Google had to offer so purchased the above reference book...it's incredible, no text just beautiful, full colour images...such as:

spacer.png    

It leaves nothing to guesswork...I shall show contents of each upgrade set as I open them and building proceeds...but step one is get my head around plan

Edited by Peter Milgate
Renewing photo storage. Hopefully this are available now...
  • Like 16

This is my favourite F1 car and I always regret not buying this kit when it was new - the cost put me off . There's a Haynes manual you can buy that is full of detail pictures and stories of how the car was developed . Don't think they are colour pictures  , but it's worth getting to help with your build . 

Gary . 

• Like 1

Shall be watching with interest.

The Haynes book is quite good, the photos are all in colour. (why would they not be?)

Also:-

GP Car Story No 3 - good but its in Japanese.

Clearview FW14b by Andy Mathews, very good - but now a fortune to obtain

and there is a brilliant photo collection for a tenner available from F1modlz https://f1modlz.com/   Highly recommended.

Plenty of other internet builds highlighting the areas that are wong and need correcting should you wish, there were several disussions on F1M about this.

I think there is also an engine and gearbox detail set due from Top Studio which should complete the sets and be available together as they did with the MP4/6.

Malc.

Edited by Malc2
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Peter Milgate said:

just beautiful, full colour images...such as:

The only thing I wonder about with books like this for 'period' cars is dating when the pic was taken - e.g. is that Lifeline Zero extinquisher what the car was fitted with when raced in the 90's or is it one needed to run in historic races today? 

But that's just the sort of daft thing that bothers me for a while, then I forget about it and just build the thing! :)

Looking forward to seeing this beauty come together!

Keith

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Malc2 said:

Shall be watching with interest.

The Haynes book is quite good, the photos are all in colour. (why would they not be?)

Also:-

GP Car Story No 3 - good but its in Japanese.

Clearview FW14b by Andy Mathews, very good - but now a fortune to obtain

and there is a brilliant photo collection for a tenner available from F1modlz https://f1modlz.com/   Highly recommended.

Plenty of other internet builds highlighting the areas that are wong and need correcting should you wish, there were several disussions on F1M about this.

I think there is also an engine and gearbox detail set due from Top Studio which should complete the sets and be available together as they did with the MP4/6.

Malc.

I did find it strange there was no engine and gearbox kit, but I'm not going to wait for it. It starts with the engine block so shall I.

Pete

Definitely will follow this. My opinion is that this model lacks in details. It's missing surprisingly much quite important details and parts. But what you have in your hands it is gonna be marvelous! I only wish that at the time when I build mine, there was these upgrade sets. But fortunately Thunder Valley F1 was making upgrade parts on Williams. 

Here is my take on this one of the most beautiful F1 car ever. 

• Like 1

I must say thanks to Malc2 for mentioning an engine upgrade set...this set me looking for one (i didn't find one) abut I came across the full detail up set for the Tamiya Mclaren MP4/6...so bought that instead.

Now just need the kit to stick it on...Thanks Malc2!!

Williams has been started...😀👍

• Like 1

You have the bug now! 🙂

The MP4/6 is a fantastic set, recently saw 2 side by side MP4/6's - one built with the TopStudio set and one built out of the box and the difference was amazing.

Good luck with finding the MP4/6 kit, they now fetch silly money on the bay. Best off looking on faceache market place for a badly listed item.

The Hiro MP4/6 in Detail Vol 2 magazine is worth buying and the long out of production Formula Perfect Manual No2 MP4/6 is a good resource if you can find a copy, but there is a scanned .jpg version floating about the internet if you know who to ask.

Malc.

Edited by Malc2
  • Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 11:08 AM, Peter Milgate said:

I must say thanks to Malc2 for mentioning an engine upgrade set...this set me looking for one (i didn't find one) abut I came across the full detail up set for the Tamiya Mclaren MP4/6...so bought that instead.

Now just need the kit to stick it on...Thanks Malc2!!

Williams has been started...😀👍

Engine set will come. I asked TS about this a few days ago and got confirmation.
I did not ask about release date nor price: will come when it comes and will cost what it costs.

Wim

• Like 1

I must say, I have been too busy looking at other peoples builds on interweb and this gave me so much anxiety about my own build i felt like stopping. 

So i had to convince and remind myself that I'm doing this for me and it will come out, simply as it comes out. I shall just do my best and enjoy the time I'm building...there will be no more checking interweb for other peoples builds!!

The engine will have whatever I can throw at it with connectors etc that I already posess.

So, we begin with the engine block...

spacer.png      spacer.png

spacer.png    spacer.png

I was deliberating mix of paints as suggested by Tamiya, but my reference just looks like matt gun metal, so that is what I'm doing...

spacer.png

Whilst starting, I thought I would build the litte aero device found under rear rain light, then checked Top Studio set and it had one in there...so first couple of stages and already bending PE. Carbon fibre decals for light housing are SMS and are very thin, this led to some raised 'creases' which actually mirror the real car with additional layers so I am not too bothered about it. This will be buried between rear wing uprights anyway...

White pipe will replace vinyl tube (It looks like a gearbox breather pipe, there is one on opposite side but I am struggling to work out the route of that one...WIP!!

Edited by Peter Milgate
edit
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/07/2021 at 12:54, Malc2 said:

You have the bug now! 🙂

The MP4/6 is a fantastic set, recently saw 2 side by side MP4/6's - one built with the TopStudio set and one built out of the box and the difference was amazing.

Good luck with finding the MP4/6 kit, they now fetch silly money on the bay. Best off looking on faceache market place for a badly listed item.

The Hiro MP4/6 in Detail Vol 2 magazine is worth buying and the long out of production Formula Perfect Manual No2 MP4/6 is a good resource if you can find a copy, but there is a scanned .jpg version floating about the internet if you know who to ask.

Malc.

It's arrived....😀

spacer.png

• Like 1

Carrying on...bit of detail to left side of gearbox, oxygen sensor wiring etc...

spacer.png  

Next step is rear brakes and hubs, these are still being fettled but this is the Top Studio jewellry so far...they look and work fabulously. I lost two drill bits (1.1mm) drilling out inner locating holes on wheels which has created its own issue...but just beautiful to behold.

spacer.png    spacer.png

spacer.png  spacer.png

spacer.png    spacer.png

spacer.png    spacer.png  spacer.png

As you can see, the hubs and brake calipers are still a WIP. Paint required!! The carbon fibre decals are completely poo-poo, look awful. These will be changed with appropriate two colours. Top of ducts are a golden twill, should make a nice contrast. The provided patterns did not fit at all...ominous for rest of sheets...

The putty dot is one of three mistakes so far...built brake ducts to sand and deseam without realising they are supported with a screw to the hub, damn my inpatience. Not such an issue, quick hole and assembled, and the carbon will be redone anyway.

Error number two...putting hydraulic active damper on wrong arms...this required removing, then filling and sanding (not my forte) and repainting. The front rods are thrown in bin anyway but I wanted to use correct parts. They look okay following rebuilds...

Learning opportunity number three...broken drill bits...stuck in rear wheel hub, both next to each other which means the locator pins are unable to insert into rear of rim. To get around this I could have wrecked the wheel attempting to remove ridiculously small drill bits or leave out one locator pin. I went with second option. I know this will not be seen with wheels on, but does annoy me...a lot...

I found the brake kit very fiddly, carpet monster was very hungry and I spent a lot of time on my hands and knees looking for parts which are 0.4mm big...worth it in the end but a very challenging construction. Top Studio provide solder wire for brake calipers, but I replaced this with a stiffer wire as I found the solder to be too soft. 

Tamiya instructions state Titanium Gold for dampers and anodised suspension parts, which is nowhere near, I've used Alclad Titanium Gold with Tamiya Clear Yellow and it looks sweet in real life. Photos above show suspension arms in just Titanium Gold and reservoirs with both. Creates a much more realistic colour match.

Painting and rear suspension assembly next prior to a bit more wire detailing onto engine block.

Edited by Peter Milgate
Photo hosting update
  • Like 11

18 hours ago, Malc2 said:

Some great detail work there, looking good.

Where did you get the Tamiya MP4/6 from in the end?

Malc.

Japanese import, £110 + £17 postage. Cheapest I came across. They typically appear to be around £150-£180.

I could have waited until a cheaper possibility turned up but felt it was a good enough price to pull the trigger. 

Will follow this with interest

I've got one in the stash, but still waiting for the brake update set from Hiroboy, but it's on back order, I've got the other sets stashed :)

I've also got the 1/12 Tyrell F1 and the newly rereleased Brabham BT44B is on it's way to me :) Plus the 1/12 Bentley is sat there as well, going to take a lot of display room when they're all built 🤔

Will get the MP4/6 at some point in the future as well :) 

Ian

• Like 1

On 30/07/2021 at 18:16, Redstaff said:

Will follow this with interest

I've got one in the stash, but still waiting for the brake update set from Hiroboy, but it's on back order, I've got the other sets stashed :)

I've also got the 1/12 Tyrell F1 and the newly rereleased Brabham BT44B is on it's way to me :) Plus the 1/12 Bentley is sat there as well, going to take a lot of display room when they're all built 🤔

Will get the MP4/6 at some point in the future as well :) 

Ian

I like the look of the Brabham but I just love the Martini colour schemes...one for the future. 👍

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Peter Milgate said:

I like the look of the Brabham but I just love the Martini colour schemes...one for the future. 👍

Must admit I've got a liking for the martini schemes, I've got a couple of rally cars with it and when I saw it I knew I was having one 😁

• Like 2

Bit more work adding some detail lines and pipes to the engine and gearbox. Final images show couple of flying leads which will meet with oxygen sensors on the exhaust pipes etc. Grey and black wiring is taken from my reference material as a guide. Starting to look a bit busier around the block. 

Airbox covered in carbon fibre with addition of trumpets and carb flaps??

spacer.png   spacer.png   

spacer.png     spacer.png

spacer.png  spacer.png

spacer.png

Still some detail painting to be done (electrical connectors/cable ties etc but you get the idea of a busier environment ...some cables added for wheel sensors at rear hubs, additional oil lines, brake lines and active suspension details. Electrical wire for rain light also added.

Nearly onto the monocoque and cockpit...but might deviate and get exhaust system sorted so this can be a nice completed sub assembly. 

Edited by Peter Milgate
Photo hosting update
  • Like 6

Moved onto to bodywork to try and get a bit ahead of the curve, checks made for fitting of parts, mould lines removed and a scary incident where you have to hack a perfectly good model in two. I'm not a brave man and this has created lots of anxiety...

spacer.png   spacer.png   

spacer.png   spacer.png

I plan to add the top studio detail to front wing once things have been primed. Some further surgery required for that.

Nose cone bulkheads will be fitted prior to priming...front nose access hatches have required some holes to be filled and new ones drilled. This has been done. During removing the main body mould lines I inadvertently reduced some moulded bolt heads for rear air exits. These will be replaced with Top Studio PE bolt heads, through necesity, not a conscious choice. 

spacer.png   spacer.png   

spacer.png  spacer.png

Not sure the deleted detail shows very well in photo. I tried to avoid the masking guidelines but a nasty mould line runs all the way around the sidepods.

I have also decided to rescribe some panel access lines but need to order tool to do this (Its on it's way now...)

In other news, Brabham BT55 has just arrived, which includes aluminium turned funnels. Now, I have just ordered the EJan set, which I felt added great impact to my Tyrrell P34 and could have avoided that expense...oh well...on with the Williams.

Next steps will be getting bulkheads in place, priming and painting. I have previously stuck to rattle cans and achieved acceptable results with these but have purchased a secondhand airbrush set up specifically for this model (and future ones) I intend to paint main colours of paintwork rather than try to use provided blue decals. I have seen a YouTube video (Hobbyspace 36) get a good finish with these but I lack the confidence in laying these down. I hope paint is the better option. I do of course, reserve the right to change my mind!!!

Edited by Peter Milgate
Photo hosting update
  • Like 4

Good stuff, always nerve wracking cutting up a kit this expensive!

Is the BT55 from Neko in Brazil, or the super rare S27/Hiro kit?

I would be really interested in some pictures of the kit if you don't mind, as I have always wanted one.

You could say the BT55b became the MP4/4 by virtue of the fact that the designer Gordon Murray moved to McLaren and had another stab at the low line concept, and we all know how that car dominated the 1988 season! Although some sources have down played GM's input to the MP4/4, the visual similarities between the two cars is undeniable.

Edit, In the remote chance anyone reads old posts, more info has come to light re BT55 Vs MP4/4 in the form of a very enlightening interview with Steve Nichols:-

Malc.

Edited by Malc2
New info