Tamiya 1/48 F-4B phantom.

dromia

I am Dedicated vacuum form builder as back in the day I found that the injection kits needed as much filling and sanding as the vacuum formed ones and there were more interesting types vacuum formed so that was my chosen route.

However having been persuaded to build Tamiya's P-38 I was suitably impressed by the fit and engineering and it was the first injection model I made that went together as I always felt an injection kit should.

So I am now tempted by the impending new Tamiya release of the Phantom II. The Phantom is one of the few jets that floats my boat, however the version seem to be predominately if not exclusively US navy schemes which variations of grey and crass loud squadron trim definitely sinks my boat.

So did the "B" ever wear more interestingly camouflagesque colours?

CtA (Cut then Add) have done them in 1/48 as well. Look for the "welcome to the jungle' sheet no.4.

Not suitable for the F-4B, but they also do some alternate schemes used with F-4s like the Ferris ones and the late TPS ones just before decommissioning.

@dromia Would conversion to the C or EC models be an option?

As far as I can make out from a look in the World Air Power Journals "Phantom Spirit Of The Skies" Book - externally at least they are very similar with just a few variations in antennas and a bulge above and below the wings to take the larger/wider wheels and tyres. The inboard wing pylons would need to be swapped or modified from the pointy Navy type to the rounded USAF type too, but they would likely be found available from someones spares on here I would expect.

They flew with the USAF in the South East Asia (SEA) camo scheme and the EC versions were used as the first Wild Weasel Phantoms which gives another weapons option if thats your thing?

Failing that, are you sure the Hasegawa offerings are not what you are looking for? They are far from bad by my humble standards, the major gripe being the blanked intakes but FOD covers are one way to "fix" that.

Thank you all for the insights.

I had seen the F-4G scheme as I also have the "World Air Power Spirit in the Skies" book.

However I have insufficient detail as to what the changes needed actually look like,

The radar reflector retractable installation is this just a panel lines job when retracted or is the some shape to the panel, Also what other changes is visible as the mostly sound internal or am I being just too optimistic.

The Hasegawa version isn't really an option as I have had bad experiences in the past with their products and I don't want to do any conversion work on the new Tamiya F-4, I just want to build it and finish it to experience the engineering, fit and no filler. Just don't like the Navy schemes.

When I do get round to building the Phantom version of my choice it will be the F-4K FG.Mk 1.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 12:00 PM, RMP2 said:

@dromia Would conversion to the C or EC models be an option?

As far as I can make out from a look in the World Air Power Journals "Phantom Spirit Of The Skies" Book - externally at least they are very similar with just a few variations in antennas and a bulge above and below the wings to take the larger/wider wheels and tyres. The inboard wing pylons would need to be swapped or modified from the pointy Navy type to the rounded USAF type too, but they would likely be found available from someones spares on here I would expect.

They flew with the USAF in the South East Asia (SEA) camo scheme and the EC versions were used as the first Wild Weasel Phantoms which gives another weapons option if thats your thing?

Failing that, are you sure the Hasegawa offerings are not what you are looking for? They are far from bad by my humble standards, the major gripe being the blanked intakes but FOD covers are one way to "fix" that.

There's more than those changes.

Bulged wings

Different wheels

Rear cockpit differences

The B uses a refuelling probe on the right side of the forward fuselage, the C uses a receptacle on the spine.

Inner wing pylons different

If you really want a USAF F-4 then go for the ZM F-4C or D.

32 minutes ago, Stephen said:

If you really want a USAF F-4 then go for the ZM F-4C or D.

Or take the Academy (or Eduard Special) or wait some time (years) ;)

Or even the Hasegawa Phantoms are all great kits! 

No need to butcher up a perfectly fine Tamiya model :D

13 hours ago, dromia said:

However I have insufficient detail as to what the changes needed actually look like,

The radar reflector retractable installation is this just a panel lines job when retracted or is the some shape to the panel,

Looking at the photos of them on the deck of the Kitty Hawk I don't see any external differences from the F-4B at all. One thing that is obvious though is that the wing drop tanks are the earlier style with the flanges running along the centreline on each side of the tanks (which are a slightly different shape too IIRC). If I was building the G I'd happily go with the Tamiya kit and an aftermarket decal set and  leave it at that.

Duncan B

• 4 weeks later...

I have decided to go with the G version.

I now have the Kits World transfer sheet, not at all of good quality but the few transfers I need from it means 'twill suffice.

I have found a a nice profile of 150642 Black Lions USS Kittyhawk, 1965. Page 123 Wings of Fame volume 1, part of a very appropriate article for the new Tamiya kit, "Navy Phantoms in Vietnam".

The green was supposed to be a patchy finish over the original grey  so should give a lot of latitude for finish, sort of contrived "weathering'.

Edited by dromia
Apostrophes.
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, dromia said:

I have decided to go with the G version.

I now have the Kits World transfer sheet, not at all of good quality but the few transfers I need from it means 'twill suffice.

I have the same plan and I am equally disappointed in the quality of the decal sheet. Not really acceptable, but it will have to do...

Jon

17 hours ago, Creepy Pete said:

That's a really useful photo, it confirms that the rectangular door just behind the radome was for the reflector. Should just be a simple scribing job (unless you want to build the reflector of course) if the Tamiya kit doesn't have that particular door already moulded in.

Duncan B

On the kit parts R3 slightly tapered panel fits onto R5 fuselage nose underside.

This is the location of the reflector but I cannot reconcile if it is the exact shape and position of the reflector in the photo graph, there is another similar panel engraved between part R3 and the nose wheel well. I think that panel is visible on the photo so it looks like part R3 is the location and the panel in the photo does seem to have the isosceles trapezoid shape of part R3.

Tamiya has included the reflector cover panel, or the reflector was fitted into an existing panel or it is all wishful thinking on my part.

• Like 1

If it is the reflector panel then I think that I will fabricate the reflector and show it down. If the panel and its cavity is correct then I will have a base line for getting the reflector measurements from the photo.

After all 'twas the reflector that was the visible difference 'tween a "B" and a "G" so appropriate to show it methinks.

That is one weird, complex little bit of origami! I have learned something new today about USN Phantoms, thanks to all of you! :thanks:

Mike

I would think that the big flat nose gear fairing door with the approach lights on it could have been used as a radar reflector, or is there something about what the  retractable reflector is made of that makes it work? (As Butterfly McQueen said in  Gone with the Wind, "Lawsy, Miss Scarlett- I don' know nuthin' 'bout birthin' no babies!") :giggle:

@corsaircorp (The tunnel's almost finished- do I take a left or right at the Channel? The Flight from the Naughty Corner is going to make The  Great Escape look like a walk in the park!)

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, dromia said:

On the kit parts R3 slightly tapered panel fits onto R5 fuselage nose underside.

This is the location of the reflector but I cannot reconcile if it is the exact shape and position of the reflector in the photo graph, there is another similar panel engraved between part R3 and the nose wheel well. I think that panel is visible on the photo so it looks like part R3 is the location and the panel in the photo does seem to have the isosceles trapezoid shape of part R3.

Tamiya has included the reflector cover panel, or the reflector was fitted into an existing panel or it is all wishful thinking on my part.

The tapered panel is an aerial or radio transparent panel of some sort (sorry, wrong trade group!). From the drawings I saw for the Reflector panel it is between that aerial and the radome and is rectangular.

Duncan B

On the kit there are only two panels 'tween the forward wheel well and the radom, both of which appear isosceles trapezoid in shape with the forward panel having a more acute angle to its sides.

The photograph appears to show the panel being of trapezoid shape rather than square, but that could just be focal length distortion of the camera.

I would like to see that drawing you are referring to.

From the drawing in Creepy Pete's link it looks like it fits into the forward panel next to the radom part R3 on the lit.

22 hours ago, 72modeler said:

That is one weird, complex little bit of origami! I have learned something new today about USN Phantoms, thanks to all of you! :thanks:

Mike

I would think that the big flat nose gear fairing door with the approach lights on it could have been used as a radar reflector, or is there something about what the  retractable reflector is made of that makes it work? (As Butterfly McQueen said in  Gone with the Wind, "Lawsy, Miss Scarlett- I don' know nuthin' 'bout birthin' no babies!") :giggle:

@corsaircorp (The tunnel's almost finished- do I take a left or right at the Channel? The Flight from the Naughty Corner is going to make The  Great Escape look like a walk in the park!)

A corner reflector provides a much better return than the door, necessary for the position accuracy of the approach guidance: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corner_reflector

• Thanks 1