A Heroic Beaufort,...... Kenneth Campbell VC`s 22 Sqn Beaufort Mk.I- Airfix 1/72nd.

Lovely finish Tony, and a great tribute to a brave man. Thanks for sharing,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

Tony, I enjoyed your presentation so much that I read it a second time right after the initial reading.  Simply impressive on the research and of course, the Beaufort ain’t too bed either!!!! 😉 :like:

Mike

• Like 1

That's a fine tribute to a very brave crew. 

Your Beaufort is absolutely stunning and has convinced me to add a couple to my collection.........So if SWMBO complains, can I point her in your direction?............ Honestly, it was that bad lad Tony that made me do it 😊😊

• Haha 4

Their story is the story of so many young men of their time. They never saw themselves as brave. They did their duty as they saw it. 

It's as true today. 

Their individual biographies simply demonstrate the waste of war. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tonyot said:

Hiya Folks,

Yes I know,.... another Beaufort,..... but it is a special one,........ and this model is dedicated to all of the heroic men who flew Beaufort`s during WW2.

In late March 1941 two German capital ships, the Scharnhorst and the Gneisenau, arrived at the French port of Brest. The RAF mounted a large number of bombing raids against the heavily defended harbour but neither warship was hit, although one unexploded bomb landed in the dry dock housing the Gneisenau causing it to be removed and re-berthed in a more exposed position where there was just enough open water available between the vessel and the internal mole 500 yds away to carry out a very dangerous torpedo attack. This vulnerability was spotted by a photo-reconnaissance Spitfire on the 5th April and orders were immediately issued for an attack to be carried out the following morning before the Gneisenau could be moved .

22 Sqn with its Beaufort torpedo bombers was regarded as something of an `elite' within the expanding Beaufort force and it was briefed to carry out the torpedo element of  a combined bombing and torpedo attack from St. Eval in Cornwall on 6th April 1941. Three torpedo-armed Beauforts flown by Flying Officer Kenneth Campbell, Flying Officer J Hyde DFC and Sergeant H Camp were detailed for what was regarded by many as a `suicide mission' and they took off at 0420 hrs on 6th April despite the weather being extremely poor. Flying Beaufort Mk.I, N1016, OA-X from 22 Sqn was;

Pilot- Flying Officer Kenneth Campbell VC, RAFVR

Observer- Sergeant James Scott DFM, RCAF

Radio Operator- Flight Sergeant Ralph Hillman RAFVR

Air Gunner- Sergeant William Mulliss RAFVR

The crews were to fly individually to an RV point off Brest and then form up ready for their combined dawn assault, but due to the poor weather 23 year old P/O Campbell found that his was the only aircraft  to have reached the RV. Knowing just how important it was to hit the Gneisenau before it was moved, he and his crew decided to brave the formidable harbour defences all on their own and attack.

Descending to wave top height they ran in towards the target knowing that the only route which would allow a torpedo to run inside the harbour would take them close to shore batteries and make them extremely vulnerable to heavy fire from other ships in the harbour, especially as they were a lone target so low down on the water and without the planned diversion of a bombing raid. Despite the hail of lead that they were subjected to upon reaching the harbour and crossing the mole, the crew expertly lined up and released their torpedo, almost hitting the mast of their target as they pulled away. Usually a Beaufort would drop to ultra low level and jink like mad to make its escape following an attack but unfortunately their only escape was inland over the town of Brest which is ringed by hills, so their only alternative was to bank sharply over the town and head for the sea, but it was while carrying out this vulnerable manoeuvre that the aircraft was raked by flak and machine gun fire from the high ground. Reports say that hits tore along the side of the aircraft, flames streamed from the port engine and the aircraft reared up then dived nose first into the waters of the harbour. The fuel tanks exploded immediately and the aircraft, broken in two, sank to the bottom of the harbour forty feet below with all those aboard losing their lives. As this was taking place their torpedo was still running true and it struck the Gneisenau, blowing a huge hole below the waterline in the vicinity of the rear main battery turret. Some 3,000 long tons of water flooded the ship and caused a 2 degree list to starboard. The flooding also disabled several components of the ship's propulsion system. The explosion caused significant destruction to the side plating as well as the starboard and centerline propeller shafts. The concussive shock also caused widespread damage to the ship's electronic components. A salvage tug came alongside to assist in the pumping effort. Following the attack, Gneisenau returned to the drydock for repairs  that would keep the warship in harbour for another six months while repairs were made. It is said that had the Gneisenau not been so near to a dry dock, then it would have sank as the damage was so severe. Three days later, on the night of 9–10 April, RAF bombers dropped around (25 long tons of 227 kg AP bombs on the ship, four of which hit. All four hit the starboard side of the forward superstructure. Two of the bombs exploded on the main armor deck while the other two failed to detonate. The attack killed 72 of the crew and wounded 90, of whom 16 later died of their injuries. The bombs slightly damaged the main armor deck and caused some structural damage on the starboard side. It was decided to make alterations to the ship while she was dry docked for repairs; these included the installation of fourteen additional 2 cm anti-aircraft guns and six 53.3 cm torpedo tubes amidships. The aircraft hangar was rearranged, and the catapult that had been mounted on top of it was removed. The length of repairs and modifications precluded participation in the sortie by the new battleship Bismarck in May 1941 and even eight months later the starboard propeller shaft was still under repair.. The RAF continued to attack the ship in dry dock, though no further damage was done. On 6 February 1942, a bomb fell close to Gneisenau, but caused no damage and at 2300hs on 11 February  1942 the Gneisenau, Scharnhorst, and the heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen began to return to Germany via the English Channel during Operation Cerberus, known to the British as The Channel Dash. The intention being to deploy the vessels to Norway to interdict Allied convoys to the Soviet Union. 

4-5-w640h480.jpg22-squadron-beaufort-i-n1016-oa-x-brest-

The selfless, lone attack by Campbell`s crew  may have gone unheralded were it not for the French resistance sending a report to London which although it took some time to arrive, detailed the heroic attack and the level of damage inflicted upon the warship. The Germans recovered the bodies from the wreckage of the Beaufort and buried them with full military honours at Brest (Kerfautras) Cemetery near to Saint-Martin-des-Champs.

For displaying valour in the face of extreme peril and without regard for his own safety, Scotsman Flying Officer Kenneth Campbell was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross, although the remainder of his crew received nothing,...... his citation reading;

Air Ministry, 13th March, 1942.

The KING has been graciously pleased to confer the VICTORIA CROSS on the undermentioned officer in recognition of most conspicuous bravery:—

Flying Officer Kenneth CAMPBELL (72446), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve (deceased), No. 22 Squadron.

This officer was the pilot of a Beaufort aircraft of Coastal Command which was detailed to attack an enemy battle cruiser in Brest Harbour at first light on the morning of 6th April 1941. The aircraft did not return but it is known that a torpedo attack was carried out with the utmost daring.

The battle cruiser was secured alongside the wall on the north shore of the harbour, protected by a stone mole bending around it from the west. On rising ground behind the ship stood protective batteries of guns. Other batteries were clustered thickly round the two arms of land which encircle the outer harbour. In this outer harbour near the mole were moored three heavily armed anti-aircraft ships, guarding the battle cruiser. Even if an aircraft succeeded in penetrating these formidable defences, it would be almost impossible, after delivering a low-level attack, to avoid crashing into the rising ground beyond.

This was well known to Flying Officer Campbell who, despising the heavy odds, went cheerfully and resolutely to the task. He ran the gauntlet of the defences. Coming in at almost sea level, he passed the anti-aircraft ships at less than mast-height in the very mouths of their guns and skimming over the mole launched a torpedo at point-blank range. The battle cruiser was severely damaged below the water-line and was obliged to return to the dock whence she had come only the day before.

By pressing home his attack at close quarters in the face of withering fire on a course fraught with extreme peril, Flying Officer Campbell displayed valour of the highest order.

The RAF named their original VC10 transport`s after Victoria Cross holders and  XR808 of 10 Sqn

was named after Kenneth Campbell.  22 Sqn also named one of its Sea King`s after Campbell too;

fo-kenneth-campbell-vc-72446-rafvr-helic

The crew;

22-squadron-beaufort-i-n1016-oa-x-fo-cam

-Kenneth Campbell was born in Ayrshire on April 21, 1917 and educated at Sedbergh School. He left to study Chemistry at Cambridge in 1935  where he learned to fly with the Cambridge University Air Squadron. At the outbreak of war in September 1939 he was mobilised for service and after further training became a Flying Officer and was posted to 22 Sqn in September 1940, flying the Bristol Beaufort torpedo bomber. His first victory came in March 1941 when he successfully torpedoed a merchant vessel near Borkum in Northern Germany but just days later his aircraft was badly damaged by a pair of Messerschmitt Bf110`s. Despite extensive damage to his aircraft he landed safely and two days later he torpedoed another vessel, off Ijmuiden in the Netherlands during a ‘Rover’ patrol. He was posthumously awarded the VC for his attack on the Gneisenau in Brest harbour on 6th April 1941.

jimmy-scott.jpgcampbell-vc-w800-w800.jpg

-  James `Jimmy' P Scott, from Toronto, Canada went to the Northern Vocational School from where he volunteered for the RCAF, to become one of the first pupils of the Commonwealth Air Training Plan, qualifying as a Navigator. Upon arrival in the UK he attended a tea party at Windsor Castle with the Queen and Princsses,..... he went on to complete a number of operations over the North Sea with 22 Sqn. in Beaufort`s and he was still only 19 when he died and it is said that when his body was found it looked as if he was trying to take over the controls of the Beaufort, possibly after Campbell was hit?

ralph-hillman.jpg

-Ralph Walter Hillman was born in Edmonton, London in 1918 but he never knew his father Walter as he was killed on 9th October 1917 while returning to France as a soldier of the Gloucestershire Regiment when his ship struck a mine. His name is recorded on the Tyne Cot Memorial. in 1935 Ralph went to work in the accounts department of the Kodak company in Kingsway, London, but he joined the RAF in May 1939 as ground crew, but later re mustered as Aircrew to become a WOP/AG in September 1939. After training he was posted to 22 Sqn which was receiving the first RAF Bristol Beaufort`s, but he was temporarily detached to 235 Sqn flying Blenheim`s on 1st August 1940 and was thus eligible for the Battle of Britain Clasp because he served with them between the 1st and 31st August, after which he returned to 22 Sqn and of course he died during the raid on Brest. Tragically Hillman's mother Grace, who had now lost her husband and son to war, died from stomach cancer later in 1942.

BREST-1.jpg

No photo unfortunately,... but above is the plot where Campbell`s crew are laid to rest;

-  William Cecil Muliss of Letchworth, Hertfordshire was married to Ethel Muliss and was 31 years old when he died and is buried in Plot 40. Row 5. Grave 12. at Brest . France.  His parents Alice and Henry and his wife Ethel picked this inscription for his headstone "LAY IT AS A FOUNDATION TO BE ALWAYS IN DUTY; NEVER TO QUIT THAT WHATEVER IT BE "

Here is my model replicating Beaufort Mk.I, N1016, OA-X of 22 Sqn, as flown by the Campbell crew; 

DSCF1552-NEW-NEW.jpg

DSCF1562-NEW-NEW.jpg

DSCF1537-NEW-NEW.jpg

DSCF1540-NEW-NEW.jpg

DSCF1547-NEW-NEW.jpg

DSCF1551-NEW-NEW.jpg

DSCF1549-NEW-NEW.jpg

DSCF1555-NEW-NEW.jpg

DSCF1558-NEW-NEW.jpg

DSCF1561-NEW-NEW.jpg

DSCF1562-NEW-NEW.jpg

DSCF1541-NEW-NEW.jpg

DSCF1543-NEW-NEW.jpg

DSCF1545-NEW-NEW.jpg

DSCF1546-NEW-NEW.jpg

DSCF1563-NEW-NEW.jpg

DSCF1570-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Super model and story, as usual

Alain

• Like 1

A great tribute to the pilot and crew Tony. Thanks fro such great post. It is appalling that so many 'other' crew on aircraft failed to get the recognition of their pilots when they contributed just as much to the action.

• Like 1

Tony, that’s a fantastic presentation of that Campbell VC story and a typically superb model. Thank you for putting the effort into both. 

I’m a former 22 Sqn pilot and once had the privilege of holding Campbell’s VC. The courage and sense of duty that were shown by all of the Beaufort crew members on that day is astonishing; that the three who didn’t have ‘hands on sticks” got no official award is grossly unfair. I can’t imagine being in their position.

Jon

• Like 2

Lovely looking build.

I sometimes work at Sedbergh school, in Sedgwick house, which is Kenneth Campbell's old house there is a number of photographs of him and details of his action. 

Sedbergh school has 4 VC winners, 1 from the boar war and 3 from WW2.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Fantastic post, great research and a great model.  Thank you for posting Tony..

Thanks mate. 

16 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Fantastic work, Tony, and an amazing back story of heroism. Your model is a marvellous tribute to the brave Beaufort crews, wherever they operated.

Cheers,

Mark

Cheers Mark.

15 hours ago, Troffa said:

Fabulous work and a stirring story of bravery by these men. Thanks very much for posting.

Thankd Troffa.

14 hours ago, Old Man said:

Great work, Tony!

An exceptionally informative article as well.

Thanks Old Man. 

13 hours ago, Dunny said:

Lovely finish Tony, and a great tribute to a brave man. Thanks for sharing,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,..... a brave crew indeed..

13 hours ago, Michael51 said:

That is great work - on the kit and on the context-rich presentation you have provided.

Michael

Thank You Michael.

13 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Tony, I enjoyed your presentation so much that I read

13 hours ago, cngaero said:

Your Beaufort is absolutely stunning and has convinced me to add a couple to my collection.........So if SWMBO complains, can I point her in your direction?............ Honestly, it was that bad lad Tony that made me do it 😊😊

it a second time right after the initial reading.  Simply impressive on the research and of course, the Beaufort ain’t too bed either!!!! 😉 :like:

Mike

Cheers Mike,.... glad you liked the article mate. 

13 hours ago, cngaero said:

Thanks Chris,... glad you`ve bought some,...... and don`t worry I get the blame more often than you think LOL!! 

12 hours ago, noelh said:

Their story is the story of so many young men of their time. They never saw themselves as brave. They did their duty as they saw it. 

It's as true today. 

Their individual biographies simply demonstrate the waste of war. 

Noel and  you are so right mate. 

11 hours ago, dogsbody said:

A most fitting tribute. Well done!

Chris

Cheers Chris.

10 hours ago, MACALAIN said:

Super model and story, as usual

Alain

Thank You Alain. 

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

A superbly modelled Beaufort Tony & an absolutely stunning background to your build, moving in the extreme. Lest we forget.

Steve.

Cheers Steve,..... lest we forget indeed.

6 hours ago, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

A great tribute to the pilot and crew Tony. Thanks fro such great post. It is appalling that so many 'other' crew on aircraft failed to get the recognition of their pilots when they contributed just as much to the action.

Thanks mate,... indeed it is,.... I think the authorities see it as being a VC or other medal awarded for the endeavours of the entire crew and awarded to the leader,.... but then you get the Garland/Gray VC`s in their Fairey Battle where the Air Gunner Leading Aircraftman Reynolds received nothing,...... apparently because he was not in a decision making position! I do not think that it is right,....... but you have to have a cut off point somewhere I suppose. 

4 hours ago, Jonners said:

Tony, that’s a fantastic presentation of that Campbell VC story and a typically superb model. Thank you for putting the effort into both. 

I’m a former 22 Sqn pilot and once had the privilege of holding Campbell’s VC. The courage and sense of duty that were shown by all of the Beaufort crew members on that day is astonishing; that the three who didn’t have ‘hands on sticks” got no official award is grossly unfair. I can’t imagine being in their position.

Jon

Thanks Jon,.... I didn`t realise that you were ex 22 Sqn mate..... respect. It took balls of steel to go into that harbour alone and I`m sure that Campbell would have spoken to the crew on the intercom and asked what they thought before they went in,..... and I can imagine they all agreed,...... brave men indeed. .... and superb at their jobs too.

4 hours ago, invidia said:

Lovely looking build.

I sometimes work at Sedbergh school, in Sedgwick house, which is Kenneth Campbell's old house there is a number of photographs of him and details of his action. 

Sedbergh school has 4 VC winners, 1 from the boar war and 3 from WW2.

Thanks mate,...... a producer of hero`s indeed,..... and a proud history. 

4 hours ago, steh2o said:

An excellent tribute for those young lost lives, and a beautifully done replica of the aircraft they flew.

Thanks for your work Tony!

Cheers mate. 

4 hours ago, Val_Ukraine said:

Excellent work and great research! Thanks Tony! :goodjob:

Thank you Val. 

3 hours ago, Homer said:

Beautiful model, the story is amazing a fine tribute to some very brave men,thankyou.

Cheers Homer. 

26 minutes ago, europapete said:

WOW!. Awesome listing Tony, Everything. Just awesome.

Crikey,.... thanks mate,.... I`ll get the money off in the post later LOL

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR VERY KIND AND PROFOUND WORDS,

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 2
  • Haha 2