South African Airways Boeing 747-200

Another 747 rolls off my busy Jumbo Jet production line...

Its the well known and trusted Revell 747-100/200 kit.

As mentioned in my previous posts,the newer those releases,the badder the quality of the kit.

The moulds are really starting to get worn out,esp. the engines are sometimes beyond use.

Some time ago,I ordered some resin engines from Welsh Models to overcome this problem as well as having the correct engines for the different 747 versions I wanted to build.

As I have a soft spot for african airlines,I had to add a SAA 747 to my collection.

I opted for a very old decal set from Runway 30 that I found on a certain auction platform.

They were still in great condition given their age and fitted nicely on the Revell kit.

The instruction consisted of a badly printed black and white photograph of the real thing,where it was nearly impossible to make out where certain decals should go.

So some research on the internet was needed.

The orange/red line decal seems to be more of a dayglo orange,I managed to tone it down a bit with semi-gloss clear.It looks still stronger on the pictures.

The curve at the front should be less steep and should reach more the radome  but the decals were designed that way.

The windows are from Authentic Airliners

Paints used are Revell gloss white 04 for the fuselage top,Testors silver for the underbelly,Revell light grey 371 for the wings,Tamyia mix of metallic grey and light grey for the coroguard panels.

The engines are painted with Testors silver and Gunze chrome (cowlings)

This particular 747-200 with the name "Lebombo" was delivered to SAA in 1971 as the first 747 and was put into service on long-haul routes to Asia and Europe

Cheers

Alex

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 30

I've never seen those markings before and they do really accent the lines of the 747-200. Your finished build is wonderful!

• Thanks 1

Congratulation Alex. Your cracking build and fine finish has managed to drag me out from under the table! 👍👍

Having lived in SA for 18 years, I've always been a fan of the "Orange tails" and your model has done them proud. I've had the Runway 30 decals in my stash for many, many years, and I know what you mean about the fluorescent orange stripe. 😱

Best Regards

mike

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mitchem said:

Congratulation Alex. Your cracking build and fine finish has managed to drag me out from under the table! 👍👍

Having lived in SA for 18 years, I've always been a fan of the "Orange tails" and your model has done them proud. I've had the Runway 30 decals in my stash for many, many years, and I know what you mean about the fluorescent orange stripe. 😱

Best Regards

mike

Thank you very much Mike.

Nice to bring up happy memories with the model

Alex

8 hours ago, SAT69 said:

I've never seen those markings before and they do really accent the lines of the 747-200. Your finished build is wonderful!

Thank you very much

7 hours ago, Wolfhound32 said:

:clap2:She’s a beauty, well done!

Thank you very much

That is gorgeous Alex, one of my favourite 747 liveries and a reminder of what a good kit the old Revell 747 is. I must get round to finishing the one I have been building for about three years!

Dave G

• Thanks 1

I flew to South Africa from England on one of those when I was very young. This was in the days of sanctions on South Africa and SAA had to fly the whole route over sea, around the bulge of Africa instead of over land.

It had an engine problem and landed on some island halfway through the flight. My parents have a photo of the aircraft. I think it was Tafelberg but I'm not completely sure.

I always liked that colour scheme too, esp. with the black mask around the cockpit glass.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

That is gorgeous Alex, one of my favourite 747 liveries and a reminder of what a good kit the old Revell 747 is. I must get round to finishing the one I have been building for about three years!

Dave G

Thank you very much Dave.

Yes,thats true.I really like the old Revell kit,I still have some of them in my stash,5 I guess including the cutaway version with the interior.

I just hadnt the motivation yet for hand painting 300+ tiny seats...😁😊

• Haha 1

Very classty747 Alex, the SAA scheme is definitely one of my favourites. I must get around to building my Revell kit, I've had it for 15+ years now, waiting its turn on the bench, to roll out as a 136 in the BOAC delivery scheme.

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

You’re a building machine! Another very tidy airliner for the collection 👍

Thank you very much

28 minutes ago, Viking said:

Very classty747 Alex, the SAA scheme is definitely one of my favourites. I must get around to building my Revell kit, I've had it for 15+ years now, waiting its turn on the bench, to roll out as a 136 in the BOAC delivery scheme.

Cheers

John

Thank you very much.

Thats nice too,I stay tuned for the BOAC 747...

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

A lovely job on what is, imho, one of the best schemes ever worn by the early 747s, having a predilection for things South African might see me slightly biased though. :)

Steve.

Thank you very much

13 hours ago, BluesModeller said:

Love the paint scheme on this.

Very well done indeed!

Thank you very much