Infini sanding sticks/pads- worth a punt?

lasermonkey

Hi all,

for years I made my own sanding sticks using various grade wet'n'dry paper glued onto lolly sticks and still find them very useful. That said, I tried out some U-Star sanding pads and sanding sticks to see how I got on. They were cheap and I'm pretty sure are just re-badged nail accessories. Although claimed as waterproof, they most certainly are not. I did find them very useful, though they aren't very durable and I'm finding that they need replacing now.

What I'm after are wet and dry use, soft sanding sticks (the foam-backed ones) that don't shed abrasive particles all over the model* and are durable. I noticed someone using the Infini Zebra sanding sticks the other day and they seemed intriguing. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has used them or any other good quality ranges.

Cheers,

Mark.

* it's not fun when you switch to a finer grade pad only to discover that one or more larger abrasive particles has remained on the model and subsequently put a bloomin' great big scratch on it.

Definitely recommend the Infini sanding sticks, any of the ranges. You have to decide which one suits you best.

Also recommend Flory Models range, their Skinny Sticks are invaluable and long lasting. You can use wet or dry!

HTH 

P

• Thanks 1

Hi Mark,

As you may remember we were their only European stockist for a good while and the abrasives they make are superb. It was one of the main things I was really in two minds about when we divested of 3rd party stuff. I'd highly recommend them though, and all the different flavours of have good uses. The little metal tools with sticky film are great for getting in between interior detail and stuff like that. The sponge back pads and sticks are great for curved things you don't want to sand flats in to, and the hard back ones are great for the opposite. They work well wet or dry.

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much for the replies, gentlemen. I think I will invest in the range. Just one more thing, as Columbo would say: are the Zebra sticks hard or soft? I think I’d like to get the soft ones first.

Cheers,

Mark.

4 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

What I'm after are wet and dry use, soft sanding sticks (the foam-backed ones) that don't shed abrasive particles all over the model* and are durable

I bought some of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293474043382

a box packed with off cuts of sanding pads in a variety of grades.   Seem fine to me,  but I have not tried the Infini ones.   They just the same photo in all the listings BTW.

Or

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392994468757 

If you look at the other listings they do mainly sell abrasives, and this a cheap way to get a load small bits. 

Hope of use/interest

I am a big fan of the Infini soft sanding sticks.

Being a vacuum form builder I do a lot of sanding.

I have tried most brands over the years and have to say the Flory and UMP sanders have not impressed at all as the don't last very long before loosing their edge. Seemed like a bit of a con to me.

For the harder stricks I can heartily recommend the Flexi File range, good spread of grits and they just last and last, they also do "skinny" type sticks which are excellent.

I also have the Infini Zebra sticks which are also very good but don't get as much use as the Flexi Files. The Infini foam backed sheets are also very good I use small pieces gripped in locking tweezers for accurate precision sanding.

The Infini finer grits are excellent for beating up enamel or lacquer paint work.

Combined with Vallorbe files and the ubiquitous sheets of wet and dry and I could abrade for Scotland.

Edited by dromia
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Having just used the 600, 800 and 1000 grit soft sanding sticks, you can count me amongst the converted. I have to admit, I was wondering how good a sanding stick could be, but now I know. 

I’ll be getting more as and when the various grits come back into stock. 

Cheers,

Mark.