1/72 Airfix Avro Vulcan B.2 **NEW TOOL** Andy

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I was once on a Vulcan see-off team when the No1 engine failed to start. The crew climbed out and the captain told us that the engine had barely accelerated at and that "oddly, the No2 engine seemed to be going backwards." He said this in a firm voice staring straight into the eyes of the crew chief. Of course, The three of us and the five of them knew instantly what the problem was but nobody dared to look up.

The aircrew went away for a few minutes so they wouldn't have to see us removing the blanks, and then have the trouble of raising an incident report.

We removed the blanks and had a quick shufti down the intakes and called them back. "Must have been the starter trolley playing up, Sir." And off they went.

I presume the crew chief bought more than his share of the beer on the next away trip.

I bet you've got a good few camp fire stories under your belt 😅

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

Somehow I think that leaving the fod covers in the jetpipes might be a little more interesting though, just don't stand behind...

I don't recall that we used the jet-pipe blanks much on the line. Anything that got in there would just be blown out on start. Not a problem. I knew a bloke who claimed that he'd put a NAAFI pasty in there to keep warm when an aircraft came in early, forgot it, and later saw it blown out of the back. Not the most reliable witness though.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I haven't had a local shop for years. Those were the days!

we're lucky to have a shop called Antics.  Unfortunately for me they are out of both Humbrol Acrylic 165 and 163.  I had used the spray cans up until this point.  So, two choices, finish off with the enamel paints, or try and colour match?  As this is a tidy-up I feel a colour match may not work.  Might have to shelve this for a while as I believe I might be able to get the acrylic colours in a dropper at some point.

On 7/23/2021 at 2:05 PM, Edge said:

I wonder if Aerocraft are looking into producing a better windscreen sans wipers. They may be able to include a set of wipers in photo etch for those with the talent to fit them.

Edge

Already on the market.

2 minutes ago, avro683 said:

Already on the market.

And I'll be probably picking up a set for my second new tool Vulcan. First heard about them because of their Buccaneer S1 conversion which I'm really tempted to buy and cut up a nice new tool Bucc to make an S1

48 minutes ago, avro683 said:

Already on the market.

The shop I use don't have them yet, might have to go online to get this finished.  It looks like Humbrol are moving away from the acrylic in pots.

On 7/25/2021 at 12:07 PM, Andy350 said:

A bit of an odd one, looking at part of the mechanism I have lost some material, not sure how this has happened as it's nowhere near the area that was cut from the sprue.  I am going to have to build this up somehow.

51333948973_50bd9ef082_b.jpg

I have had the same problem with the same part most likely a short shot. With a bit of styrene card and a little filler I made up the missing section. Great work by the way 👍 

Vulcan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I really need to get this one completed.  I left this one because I cannot seem to locate the paints.  I need to make a concerted effort to find these.  I don't really want to repaint the entire model again with another brand.

There have been problems getting hold of Humbrol paints due to some of the ingredients' needing to be replaced. Apparently they should be starting to become available again. I can't remember where I saw the info but that was only a few days ago.

Gondor

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Gondor44 said:

There have been problems getting hold of Humbrol paints due to some of the ingredients' needing to be replaced. Apparently they should be starting to become available again. I can't remember where I saw the info but that was only a few days ago.

Gondor

I found a seller on Ebay, they were the newer dropper bottle type, I just hope the paints are the same as I will be just touching up. Fingers crossed, I should have this all completed by the end of the week.

48 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Good luck Andy. My Vulcan build has also been a slow process, but I’m hoping to get it finished soon. I’m actually working on it right now…!

Thanks Matt.  I kept it on the top shelf out of the way, and now and again I would spot it.  As I've built a few others models I thought, now or never.  Plus now I've ordered the paints, so no excuse.  Once the main paints are fixed, I can fit the undercarriage and doors. 

On 5/10/2022 at 5:03 PM, Andy350 said:

I found a seller on Ebay, they were the newer dropper bottle type,

Looks like most paints are difficult to get atm. My LMS has very few Humbrol enamels, which are my go-to along with Colourcoats (thanks @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies!) now that Model Master are nearly gone. Looks like a swap to lacquers is on the cards eventually.

• Thanks 1

So, paints arrived yesterday, not what I was expecting, looks like re-bottles into those bottles we can all buy on Ebay/Amazon.

52075100350_33a4525969_z.jpg

So, I thought I would test in the AB.  the paint is as thick as treacle, and was difficult to thin and AB.  Below is a test piece using a brush, just to make sure the paint was close enough to use.

Remember, this should be Humbrol Acrylic 163 dark green, which is what you can see on the wing.

52074619196_4ac48653d3_b.jpg

I'm fairly certain if I use this to blend in, it might show!!  The paints are sold as colour matched by the seller, I suppose it's my fault.  But this colour is more like olive drab.  This will be shelved again now for another year.  One day, I promise I will finish this off!!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

So, paints arrived yesterday, not what I was expecting, looks like re-bottles into those bottles we can all buy on Ebay/Amazon.

52075100350_33a4525969_z.jpg

So, I thought I would test in the AB.  the paint is as thick as treacle, and was difficult to thin and AB.  Below is a test piece using a brush, just to make sure the paint was close enough to use.

Remember, this should be Humbrol Acrylic 163 dark green, which is what you can see on the wing.

I'm fairly certain if I use this to blend in, it might show!!  The paints are sold as colour matched by the seller, I suppose it's my fault.  But this colour is more like olive drab.  This will be shelved again now for another year.  One day, I promise I will finish this off!!

I have bought a selection of those paints one and half year ago as they are supposed to match the Humbrol paints.

They are close but not always correct and I have a strong suspicion that these paints are regular wall paints as they smell the same and they have the same consistency ….

Anyhow do you still have the original grey paint? If so why don’t you mask it the other way around and touch up whit the grey!

It is a lovely looking vulcan 🖖 

cheers, Jan

• Like 1

I suspect you're right, never seen a paint as thick. 

I'm out of both paint, but I know I can get an humbrol green from the local shop.

Just find it odd that it's a completely different colours.