1/72 Airfix Avro Vulcan B.2 **NEW TOOL** Andy

7 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

But looking better already! 👍

Thanks Matt.  Agreed 500 would have been quicker.  But not used before so went middle ground.

I did a little bit of a sulk earlier, but remembered this is model making and not just snapping together kits.  I've lost the original templates for the intakes, but should be able to work out roughly where they were.

Making a start on the undercarriage.  Seems had to be removed on the wheels.

51333957283_f6289172e1_c.jpg

A bit of an odd one, looking at part of the mechanism I have lost some material, not sure how this has happened as it's nowhere near the area that was cut from the sprue.  I am going to have to build this up somehow.

51333948973_50bd9ef082_b.jpg

The lower part of G32 is the maintenance bar, so would not be in place if the Vulcan was a in "Ready to go" status, so removing this.

51333739201_79998bdb69_c.jpg

You can see this in the image here in red.

51333008212_2be0805303_b.jpg

I think I will leave these now, spent quite a bit of time on this, made harder by doing this all the wrong way round.  Not too sure how the masking will go, from I've seen this can be tricky.

51337400882_a6972ffabd_b.jpg

This is the port side undercarriage that had the missing material, build up with two sheets of plasticard, looks good enough.  

51338345643_50a1047392_b.jpg

• Like 6

The masking of the intakes is a bit of a faff.  Not sure if this could be done a better way, but it is very tricky.  I found this YouTuber who says the masks are the wrong way round, top should be bottom and bottom should be top.

I've installed the upper left mask, but it's nothing like it should be.  If I'm honest I'm going a bit bonkers with this part of the build, with the amount of time spent this should be almost done by now.

51338409033_93e53b99fd_b.jpg

• Like 3

Great job on the intakes curved intakes are always tricky. What do you think about the kit overall fit? Looks pretty good to me from what I've seen I hope to get one at some point in the future.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Deano353 said:

Great job on the intakes curved intakes are always tricky. What do you think about the kit overall fit? Looks pretty good to me from what I've seen I hope to get one at some point in the future.

Many thanks, so far the kit has gone very well, I've just made life hard for myself and done a few bits the wrong way round.  I would happy pick up another kit in the future.  I'm just getting my head around the intake masks, someone online seems to think that they have got the top and bottom the wrong way round!!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andy350 said:

Many thanks, so far the kit has gone very well, I've just made life hard for myself and done a few bits the wrong way round.  I would happy pick up another kit in the future.  I'm just getting my head around the intake masks, someone online seems to think that they have got the top and bottom the wrong way round!!!!

Do an all white aircraft, problem solved untill someone works it out!

Gondor

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gondor44 said:

Do an all white aircraft, problem solved untill someone works it out!

Gondor

I did think of that, but building the blue steel version means I need camo.

1 hour ago, Andy350 said:

I did think of that, but building the blue steel version means I need camo.

27 Squadron flew Vulcans fitted for Blue Steel in overall anti-flash white, e.g. XL445.  There should be markings on either the Freiggtdg or AirDecal sheets if I remember rightly (off upstairs to check n report).

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, stever219 said:

27 Squadron flew Vulcans fitted for Blue Steel in overall anti-flash white, e.g. XL445.  There should be markings on either the Freiggtdg or AirDecal sheets if I remember rightly (off upstairs to check n report).

Air decal list XM570 from 27 Sqn at Scampton in 62 as an option but as the decals have all the serials as seperate Letters and Numbers you can do whatever you like. Me I have in mind XL361 of 617 Sqn.

Gondor

• Thanks 1

On 25/07/2021 at 12:07, Andy350 said:

A bit of an odd one, looking at part of the mechanism I have lost some material, not sure how this has happened as it's nowhere near the area that was cut from the sprue.  I am going to have to build this up somehow.

One of my u/c legs was exactly the same as yours, I thought it was just shot shot and replaced the missing material with some plastic card, I will check my unbuilt kit to see if that's the same.

• Like 1

Here is the undercarriage that was fixed with plasticard, came out ok.

51338345643_50a1047392_b.jpg

Probably the toughest area I've worked on for a very long time, I almost gave up on the masks.  If it turns out messy after painting I will revert to all white.

51339550964_b7c45ca8af_b.jpg

On 7/21/2021 at 3:45 PM, Andy350 said:

I'm after a bit of advice with regards to installing the flaps.  I am building this model so that it can be either on the ground or possibly in the air just after take of or landing.  Any advice on the angles would be great 👍

Good news for you Andy. There aren't any flaps on a Vulcan. The elevons are the only flying control surfaces and on the ground or in the air (in normal flight) they would seldom be deflected far enough for it to be visible from 'scale' distance of 144 feet (assuming you are looking at your model from a couple of feet away). Maybe during display flying...

Edited by Bertie Psmith
Apostrophe issues, dash it!
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

Probably the toughest area I've worked on for a very long time

After all these years, the new tool Vulcan appears to go (almost) together about as well as the old one. I don't think I'd bother with one myself; filler is long and life is short.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2021 at 12:07 PM, Andy350 said:

The lower part of G32 is the maintenance bar, so would not be in place if the Vulcan was a in "Ready to go" status, so removing this.

51333739201_79998bdb69_c.jpg

Crisply moulded! 

The 'maintenance bar' was known as a groundlock and physically prevented the wheels folding up on the ground if the down lock mechanism failed. Or is someone was daft enough to do an emergency undercarriage up selection, overriding the weight on wheels microswitches, while electrical and hydraulic power was applied to the aircraft. Unlikely but you never can tell how stupid people can be. The groundlocks were sometimes left in and went flying, resulting in 'failure to retract' snags and much embarrassment. :shrug:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Crisply moulded! 

The 'maintenance bar' was known as a groundlock and physically prevented the wheels folding up on the ground if the down lock mechanism failed. Or is someone was daft enough to do an emergency undercarriage up selection, overriding the weight on wheels microswitches, while electrical and hydraulic power was applied to the aircraft. Unlikely but you never can tell how stupid people can be. The groundlocks were sometimes left in and went flying, resulting in 'failure to retract' snags and much embarrassment. :shrug:

Thanks Bertie, your extensive knowledge was very helpful.  All my flight controls are all very level, so was lucky there!! 😉

30 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

Thanks Bertie, your extensive knowledge was very helpful.

That is a period of my life that I still remember very well. Curiously, it was just before I started my serious drinking... but I'm sure there's no connection! 🤪

• Haha 1

@Beermonster1958 I recall sanding down my old Vulcan, and I only did one, while standing in the shower. Very wet sanding with very large sheets of wet'n'dry. It kept the mess under control. I fear I'd have to repeat the process with the new one, even if I managed to make it fit together, if only to reduce the panel lining somewhat.

It's fascinating and very nostalgic watching some other poor soul fighting the beast.

Keep it up Andy! Good luck!

Edited by Bertie Psmith
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

One of my u/c legs was exactly the same as yours, I thought it was just shot shot and replaced the missing material with some plastic card, I will check my unbuilt kit to see if that's the same.

It looked very much like moulding damage rather than being cut off by me.

• Like 1