Gidday All, I've just completed my conversion of the Airfix HMS Hood in 1/600 scale. While the kit OOB depicts the ship at about 1932 I've modified the build to depict her in May 1941, at the time of her sinking by Bismarck in the Denmark Strait.

I had to source some parts, such as twin 4-inch guns, UP launchers, Carley floats, quad .5cal machineguns and most of the ship's boats. The modifications included said 4-inch and .5cal weapons, the main turrets, most levels of all the superstructures, the shelterdeck, the spotting top and director on it. I also scratch built a lot of fittings such as the three octuple pompom AA guns, the three HACS, rangefinders, all searchlight and weapon pits, shafts screws and anchors, the chin plate at the forefoot, the main topmast and the radar on it, and small assorted stuff such as ammo lockers, winches, hawser reels, funnel grills, paravanes, bonnet covers and capstans, and bridge fittings.

The build has taken me five months, and while no doubt I've made some errors and missed some mods I think I've come close enough, particularly for my average skill level. You may have noticed a distinct lack of aftermarket additions. While other modelers do superb models with them I prefer to make my own additions. I'm a bit quirky that way (a polite way of saying 'miserly' 😀).

Anyway, here she is, my build of HMS Hood as at the Denmark Strait in May 1941.

HD41.500 done HMS Hood 1941 jm1 (1) HMS Hood 1941 jm1 (3) HMS Hood 1941 jm1 (13)

And an aerial view, with her main guns trained to starboard and her after turrets just beginning to bear on Bismarck. This was the moment, at 0600 hrs on May 24th 1941 that a shell from Bismarck's fifth salvo hit her. And the rest, sadly, is history. Of her crew of 1418 men there were only three survivors.

HMS Hood 1941 jm1 (10)

Thank you all for your interest. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Jeff you have done a fantastic job with this build some great scratch building and some great history references 

well done that man. 👍

Stay Safe 

beefy 

• Thanks 1

Gidday All, thank you for your comments and responses. Other than the shoddy turret faces, the shaft struts and the bow I didn't think it was a bad kit to work on, considering it's age and era. Of course it's not a patch on more modern kits regarding detail but it suits my bank balance (whatever a bank balance is?) and my average skill level.

Again, thanks. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

When I saw this as an unread, I assumed my updates had broken, but you've completed! Quite sad I don't get to watch her getting built anymore...

Remarkable that this is an an old kit, the scratched mods are v impressive and liking the paint job on hull and decks - the latter reinforces the slapdash nature of her 'upgrades'. Oh, and love the base too! Methinks she needs a companion, PoW next?

In short: thumbs up, gimme more!

David

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Lovely job Arnold. I have 2 Hoods in my 1/600 stash, I plan a 1932/Mediterranean fleet and a what-if 1942 with the same 'rules' as yours - no aftermaket, scratchbuilt extras only. Though I do find cheap Belfasts are a great source of better parts.

Can't face a 1/600 1941, already got one in 1/700 and a 1/350 in the Stash - how may Hoods is too many? :hmmm:

4 hours ago, TallBlondJohn said:

I do find cheap Belfasts are a great source of better parts.

G'day TBJ, I agree, and in the past I've bought a few Belfast kits for precisely that reason. But they're not so cheap here anymore, and I've learned how to make some of the parts now. I'll be very interested in your 1942 what-if version when you do her. Any idea when?

6 hours ago, IanJohnB said:

Just starting this model, will use your pictures to help me work out how to paint it.

The colour scheme I used was based on one supplied by @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies, one of the paint gurus here, although I think I made a mistake at the top of the main mast.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

G'day TBJ, I agree, and in the past I've bought a few Belfast kits for precisely that reason. But they're not so cheap here anymore, and I've learned how to make some of the parts now. I'll be very interested in your 1942 what-if version when you do her. Any idea when?

Not for some years I'm afraid, got to get retired first. But it is in the (large) 'definitely do' stash, not the (very large) 'maybe' stash. It is Hood after all - my great-grandfather knew some of the men who built the 1:1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Not for some years I'm afraid, got to get retired first. But it is in the (large) 'definitely do' stash, not the (very large) 'maybe' stash.

G'day TBJ, Retirement I can highly recommend, particularly from a modeling perspective. (Any perspective, really 🙂). I guess in time the project will be moved to the (not so large) 'imminent' stash and then in due course the (smaller) 'very soon' stash and ultimately the (very small) 'next model' stash. 🙂 Whenever you do her I'll be very interested in following the build.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

That's a very sharp build of a very old kit. I did this model out of the box 55 years ago so I can appreciate the additional work you've done on the model. When I was a boy there was a very old chap down the road (Ex RN P/O WW1 and WW2) who witnessed the destruction of HMS Hood from HMS Prince of Wales.

• Thanks 1