BE12

BillF67

As part of my effort to collect (an hopefully) build a representative of all a/c types flown by 17Sqn, I’m now down to the last couple. I don’t believe I will find kits of either in 1/72. One is a Canberra PR7 (I won’t pay the stupid prices asked for the odd Frog(or is it Matchbox?) version that crops up. More germane to this thread is a BE12.

I understand that these are BE2c’s with the front cockpit replaced with a fuel tank and with an upgraded RAF4 engine.

Has anyone built a BE12, is it a conversion and is it simple!?

I have not converted a BE 12 but I did once convert an Airfix RE 8 into a BE 2e by using the wings from the RE 8 and scratch building the fuselage. If I were to convert the Airfix BE 2c to a BE12 I would use the wings from the RE 8 and the fuselage, wheels etc from the BE 2c. There would need to be some scratch building of the nose and engine, (not as difficult as it may look), and the wings would need to be seriously thinned, (or scratch built from card - again not difficult).

It would all depend on how much conversion/scratch building experience you have, but in practice none of the changes would be beyond a modeller who is used to adding extra details to kits or making minor changes. Just plan carefully what needs to be done by comparing drawings with kit parts, and take each stage slowly and carefully. You will be surprised what you can do if you give something a try!

P

• Like 1

I've done both a B.E.12a and B.E.12b. The 12a was done years ago, and used a vacuformed fuselage with modified R.E.8 wings, as described by Pheonix above. Much easier now to use an Airfix B.E.2c kit as a base. The 12b was mostly that kit with a resin nose from the HR Models kit and new tailplanes. Still intend to do a standard B.E.12 and round out this trio someday.

Not sure which variant was used by 17 Sqn, but I would say all are quite doable as conversions from that new Airfix kit...

Cheers

Herb

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

I've built the BE12 and 12b as well. The new Airfix BE2c is the way to go nowadays. I modified an Airfix RE8 nose to replace the BE2 offering.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/airfix-1-72-raf-be2c-a02101-conversions-t48533.html

I stretched a Revell SE5a fuselage and used the Airfix RE8 wings to make the BE12b. The wingspan is less than the RE8 so the reduction from the upper wing was used to lengthen the lowers to make equal span. It may be possible to graft an SE5 engine section onto the new BE2c and use the rest of the kit.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/airfix-revell-1-72-raf-be12b-conversion-t36179.html

Regards, Steve

There's always the old Formaplane conversion kit, a vac sheet of wings, tail surfaces, and nose. Meant for use with their BE2c kit but possibly adaptable to the Airfix one. Fairly easily available, a Be12 is among the options you can use it for.

Paul.

Thanks all. I’m particularly impressed with Steve’s models - at the moment way above my skills level🥴. I’m going to start with the kits I have. First up a Bulldog since that is the most easily replaceable if/Whalen I muck up and need to start again!

Bill