US Navy colors* and camouflage January 1st to December 16th 1941 - *colours if spelled properly ;)

Jeff Herne (of Scale Colors, Inc), Ron Smith and John Snyder have drafted an article in PDF format which walks the reader through the evolution of the US Navy's painting practises in the run up to that country's entry into WWII, starting with the peace time #5 Standard Navy Gray and culminating in actions immediately after the attack on Pearl Harbor*. Whilst the mid-late war US Navy camouflage measures and paints are fairly well understood, personal vendettas have been started over what paints were worn by different ships in the battlefleet at Pearl Harbor on 7th December 1941. Most of the arguments have been predicated on a small portion of overall evidence available. This article will lay out the primary source documentary facts as they are understood at present.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0730/0927/files/USN-Camo_and_Color_Doctrine_1941.pdf?v=1626164101

To help visualise this, and with their input, I drafted a graphic to lay out the timeline. Whilst it may be easier to follow for some people, it by no means captures all the nuances and context.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0730/0927/files/US_Navy_1941_Infographic.jpg?v=1626163918

*Harbour if spelled properly ;) 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Jamie - Huge thanks for a great effort.  I spent a few tedious hours recently trying to get my head round these colours.  You've encapsulated it perfectly.

Take a bow for "Services to Naval Modelling" :clap2:

Rob

Is the PDF available from a more reputable source than fbook?

Thank you for the graphic, I am just a ship dabbler mainly 1/1200 but find naval paint schemes tortuously fascinating.

Well done! 

Are you a student of The Visual Display of Quantitative Information?

But, but, but, why are there misspellings, which you flagged? :whistle:

On 7/8/2021 at 2:49 PM, dromia said:

Is the PDF available from a more reputable source than fbook?

Facebook tells me I don't have "sufficient permissions" to view it, much less download it! Thank you, Zuckerberg!

And now I can't view or download Jamie's graphic, because the URL has expired? When does a URL "expire"?

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Like 1