Weathered wagons and other random railway modelling

Hi all, 

One of my side hobbies is building and painting 4mm/OO gauge wagons. 

I've been slowly building a fleet for a future layout. 

Parkside 24.5t mineral wagon

MEO 01

Dapol (ex-Airfix) tanker:

Class B tank

Parkside VEA:

VEA3

Parkside Fish Van converted to a Parcels Van:

NRV

Parkside slope sided mineral wagon:

16T

Airfix 16t mineral wagon:

IMG_20210327_231514_316

IMG_20210327_231514_291

IMG_20210424_232209_048

Thanks for looking 

Matt 

• Like 24

Lovely weathering. Just as I remember them. I bought some Airfix wagons last year. Lovely mouldings. 

I'll probably never build them so they are up for sale. But they have a great nostalgia whiff!

On 7/8/2021 at 7:31 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Lovely weathering. Just as I remember them. I bought some Airfix wagons last year. Lovely mouldings. 

I'll probably never build them so they are up for sale. But they have a great nostalgia whiff!

Thanks Pete, much appreciated! 

• Like 1

Subtlty done & all the better for it too often weathering is overdone.

Nice observation on the diagonal ines on the mineral wagons these and the data panels were the ony areas here paint was thick enough not to rust through.

Just one small niggle, in my mind, the data panels, even when repainted, always had a black background.

Other than that shear perfection.

• Like 1

• matto21 changed the title to Weathered wagons and other random railway modelling

Nice subtle weathering jobs. I've dabbled with model railways/railroads on and off since the early 1970's. Starting in Hornby OO, then British N scale, British OO9 ( set in WW1 ), and mainly settled on US N scale. Here's some of my US locos and rolling stock. I don't have a layout right now. I've built several, displayed them at one exhibition and then usually find someone wants to buy them. The last layout I built for myself was around 2007 ( other than a My Little Pony themed railway built with my daughter in 2016 - last pictures ).

Union Pacific 4-8-8-4 'Big Boy'

bigboy.jpg

Union Pacific 4-6-6-4 'Challenger'

challenger.jpg

Union Pacific 2-8-8-2 'Mallet'

mallet.jpg

Union Pacific 2-8-4 'Berkshire'

berkshire1.jpg

Union Pacific 2-8-4 'Berkshire' ( 2 off )

berkshire2.jpg

QMC USA 2-8-2 'MacArthur' #9506

macarthur.jpg

steamers.jpg

Boxcars, coaches, tankers, stockcars and flats.

boxcars1.jpg

boxcars2.jpg

boxcars3.jpg

coaches.jpg

MV_Flats.jpg

stock_box_gon.jpg

tankers1.jpg

shermans.jpg

The "My Little Pony" railroad - a double sided layout based on scenes from the animated kids TV show.

mlp417.jpg

mlp418.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Matto,

I just wanted to say that I'm loving the weathering on your wagons, particularly the rust effects on the steel minerals. Hope you won't mind if I add a few pics of my own efforts? All are 4mm/1ft scale (1:76).

Two Somerset & Dorset Joint Rly 5-plank opens:

http://IMG-1836.jpg

These are Slater's bodies on scratch underframes to EM gauge.

Two Cambrian Rlys opens, a 4-plank open and 2-plank fixed side finished in that company's pre-1899 livery:

http://IMG-1852.jpg

The 4-plank is a Cambrian Models body on scratch underframe, the 3-plank is a Coastline Models 3D-print. Both are EM gauge.

For comparison, a part-finished Cambrian 4-plank open in the post-1899 livery:

http://IMG-2206.jpg

Midland Railway 3-plank dropside ballast wagon:

http://IMG_0824_(2).jpg

Slaters model OOB apart from cartridge paper "canvas" axlebox shields and HMRS decals. EM gauge again.

And lastly a few 009 Ashover Light Railway wagons. These are Bachmann RTR with Old Time Workshop decals, heavily weathered to represent the crushed limestone that was the ALR's staple traffic. They're intended for an inglenook, so I've come up with a few different loads to make the wagons a bit more individual :) such as:

http://IMG_20180814_182852195.jpg

http://IMG-20180906-141237779.jpg

http://IMG-0082.jpg

and my favourite!

http://IMG-20180913-132938556.jpg

The ALR wagons have been weathered a bit more, so that they're typically like these:

http://IMG-0585.jpg

Hope they're of some interest!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 11

The wagons are very nice Matto, you have done a great job on those, I like the freelance 7mm 0.16.5 loco, I am doing some engine building on and off also as have a 1/32 narrow-gauge project too with freelance locos   mot much progress at the mo. Also build 4mm locos  coaches and wagons too.

Might have to restart some projects in between aircraft. 

Mark @2996 Victor  great job on the 009 wagons too  they look lovely. Building an Ashover coach for my son.

Great work guys

Chris 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the comments and interest, and also for sharing photos! @2996 Victor, your wagons look great!

I've done a bit more, starting with a Peco 7mm NG coach. These are pretty common, so I've done a little bit of extra work - footboards, end strapping, new handrails - for a bit of individuality. 

NG19

To be painted in due course. 

I've also built a freelance open wagon using a Smallbrook Studios underframe kit. Nothing clever, just a bit of fun

NG21

Matt

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Hello again, 

I've recently started building a layout - nothing fancy at all, just a basic shunting layout to try out some skills.

Early photo showing the scenic part in its entirety:

IMG_20210116_222526

Recently, I've started focusing more on the buildings because if I'm honest, other than building and painting wagons, that's where my main interest lies. Here are a few images of completed, almost completed or under construction structures:

20211011_082107

F2

F1

Thanks for looking 

Matt

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Another couple, recently finished. 

Cambrian Shark brake van:

I built this back when I was in school. It languished in a box in a broken state for many, many years.

Now stripped down, repaired and fully repainted.

Shark2

Ratio ex-LMS 12t van:

V1

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/02/2022 at 08:16, matto21 said:

Latest building completed. 

G13

G14

G15

G12

Great work, really convincing. May I ask how you achieved the roughcast render? I've got a pub model for my layout that I want to finish that way.

On 12/02/2022 at 10:01, Army_Air_Force said:

The lead flashing is a nice touch. It's not something you see very often.

One of those details that you don't tend to notice when they're missing but the whole thing looks a bit "wrong", but when they're there really make a difference.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Great work, really convincing. May I ask how you achieved the roughcast render? I've got a pub model for my layout that I want to finish that way.

One of those details that you don't tend to notice when they're missing but the whole thing looks a bit "wrong", but when they're there really make a difference.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark, thanks for the comment. The texture is simply household filler applied directly to the surface. Initially it was too coarse so it was sanded right down to give a smoother, but still visible, texture. 

Matt

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, matto21 said:

Hi Mark, thanks for the comment. The texture is simply household filler applied directly to the surface. Initially it was too coarse so it was sanded right down to give a smoother, but still visible, texture. 

Matt

That's brilliant, thanks, I'll give it a go :)

Cheers,

Mark

I've been building buildings and a tree:

The house forms a view blocker on my layout and is based around the Fair Price Models pub kit, just used back to front and not used as a pub.

H6

H5

The tree is twisted wire and modelling filler for bark, with unidentified scatter for foliage. 

Tree02

Tree03

Matt

• Like 2

Superb work, Matt! I particularly like the way you've let the lintels and sills into the main brickwork of the walls.

I'm quite taken with Fair Price's laser-cut kits - they're really excellent jumping-off points for structures around the layout.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

• 3 months later...