New Mistercraft 1/48 scale Rafale

I recently bought the Mistercraft 1/72 Mirage 2000 and looked at the 1/72 Rafale and both are reboxings of Heller kits so I would assume the origins of the 1/48 kit would be Heller?

Tim 

The Heller kit is rather nice, but for the prototype Rafale A only! Looks very different!

.I'd hope Revell or Hobbyboss!!

Or maybe it is 1/72 instead?

1 hour ago, tempestfan said:

Here's the 48th kit - typical Heller sprues I'd say. There also appears a 72nd kit - also Heller - with exactly the same artwork. Kreislaufwirtschaft at its best 🙂

this is not Kreislaufwirtschaft, this is close to deception of the buyer! :( :nono:

this is clearly the Rafale A, that is actually different in everything but the broad design. you can compare it to the Eurofighter and the EFA....

The Rafale A has PW 404 engines (and especially model relevant nozzles), a different on part canopy, airbrakes, differently shaped fin, landing gear (single nose wheel! :D )... wings, Mirage 2000 tanks, wromg ejection seats, etc.....

there is no part representing the B/ C version at all! probably you can take the MICA missiles..... ;)

they provide correct profiles and interesting markings though.....

the decals might be good , and keep in mind the the Rafale A kit is difficult to get hold of currently! also have a look at BAM models resin improvement sets for it!

https://bam-models.com/1-48-exhausts-for-late-rafale-a-bam48006/

https://bam-models.com/1-48-f404-exhausts-for-early-rafale-a-bam48008/

https://bam-models.com/1-48-rafale-a-intakes-bam48009/

5 hours ago, exdraken said:

this is not Kreislaufwirtschaft, this is close to deception of the buyer! :( :nono:

I principally meant the recycled artwork, but then it appears it's a recycled prototype/demonstrator mould as well having few other uses. Probably Mistercraft can get the shots cheaply off Heller as Heller is glad to wring some money out of a dead tool...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, tempestfan said:

I principally meant the recycled artwork, but then it appears it's a recycled prototype/demonstrator mould as well having few other uses. Probably Mistercraft can get the shots cheaply off Heller as Heller is glad to wring some money out of a dead tool...

as said above, the kit is rather good!  but simply not for any of those proposed markings ....

I will buy one  but knowing what I buy: a Propotoype Rafale A model and a set of decals for another (Revell) kit ;) ...

Actually you didn't say it is rather good 😉 (even though I fully accept this, it looks quite nice in the super hobby pics) but then there have been quite a few kits of protos/demonstrators over the decades that became fairly useless because the final product had evolved too far from the origin. It's a bit as if Airfix sold their P.1127 with RAF front line squadron markings. Or Hasegawa their #1 Hornet as an F-18C. 

Edited by tempestfan
Brille: Fielmann ;-)
  • Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 11:51 AM, exdraken said:

this is clearly the Rafale A, that is actually different in everything but the broad design. you can compare it to the Eurofighter and the EFA....

The Rafale A has PW 404 engines (and especially model relevant nozzles), a different on part canopy, airbrakes, differently shaped fin, landing gear (single nose wheel! :D )... wings, Mirage 2000 tanks, wromg ejection seats, etc.....

there is no part representing the B/ C version at all! probably you can take the MICA missiles..... ;)

they provide correct profiles and interesting markings though.....

Exdraken is right !!

You won't be able to build a correct current Rafale from this kit !

As he mentioned, many differences ! And for the weapons, MICA missiles on centerline are only on the A prototype.

On 7/8/2021 at 5:22 PM, tempestfan said:

Or Hasegawa their #1 Hornet as an F-18C

I wouldn't be surprised since Hasegawa has been selling their #1 Viggen prototype as several production machines. Revell did the same with their ancient Draken kit. The Italeri Gripen A has been sold as a Gripen C so it has been done before and it will happen again.

1 hour ago, Orso said:

I wouldn't be surprised since Hasegawa has been selling their #1 Viggen prototype as several production machines. Revell did the same with their ancient Draken kit. The Italeri Gripen A has been sold as a Gripen C so it has been done before and it will happen again.

:(

But a Gripen A basically looks like a C.... and can be converted to one. same with Vuggen and Draken

But the Rafale A and Rafale C is more like Hornet and Super Hornet... or X-35 and F-35 or Gripen A/C and E.... different in ALL aspects!

The old Revell Draken has the short tail, short air intakes and flat canopy while the version Revell gave decals for have long tail, long air intakes and a blown canopy. 

Haegawa Viggen is the early prototype with different shape of the air intakes and lack the hump on the spine and miss the sawtooth wings. Very visible if you know the planes. I know nothing about the F-18 or Rafale so I would not know that the kits were wrong unless I read reviews of the kits. I guess this is why the kit companies continue doing this.

Edited by Orso
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 11:35 AM, Orso said:

The old Revell Draken has the short tail, short air intakes and flat canopy while the version Revell gave decals for have long tail, long air intakes and a blown canopy. 

Haegawa Viggen is the early prototype with different shape of the air intakes and lack the hump on the spine and miss the sawtooth wings. Very visible if you know the planes. I know nothing about the F-18 or Rafale so I would not know that the kits were wrong unless I read reviews of the kits. I guess this is why the kit companies continue doing this.

Indeed Revell re-released their Draken in 1990 I think with new decals including an Ilmavoimat (and Danish?) plane - and they added a terrible, completely useless new sprue of parts that wouldn't have addressed any of the deficiencies of the kit in regard to the later versions. If the parts had not been that crude anyway (I think that sprue crime was commited by Heljan...).