1/48 Hawker Hurricane Mk.I - Italeri kit 2020 - Battle of Britain set

Hi Folks!

After I bought this kit I realized the tons of info and reviews written about the legendary Hurricane on 1/48 scale (thanks Troy!).  However, I decided to give it full throttle to the Italeri kit, as a challenge for my amateur skills.  And boy the beginning was tough! 

Cockpit assembly (with the add of a spare Tamiya pilot) was a violent skirmish, but the Force prevailed.  Thanks Obi-Wan!  

Fuselage and wings needed a generous amount of putty... but after that, everything went very smooth. And -the most important thing- I ended up quite happy with the results.

Well, enough talking. Here are the photos of the Hurricane P 2923, No. 85th Squadron, VY R, September 1940. PS: Oh, I know the spinner colour was black and the edge of the wings were painted Sky... but I gave to myself some historical permissions. Hope nobody gets annoyed. 

Cheers and happy modelling,

Cris.

2D57E251-7FBE-4B5C-A89B-37172A57883D 14C2D851-8207-447A-9AF4-DAFD133DCB3B 187E61A3-0526-4EB9-AA02-C3E43F7B2765

8EADC8A8-70A0-4682-9F44-12BFD87F94A8 3D6073F9-F429-4D53-898D-8AF4BFEFA523 9C47ABE5-7E80-4EE2-B637-92D269CBCD96 262D9836-F10B-4769-9D59-66685385E959 BED66DAD-5DB9-4CA6-B923-6E30C11BF3D2 5336430E-499F-4275-8537-0E189F992F67 CCE005D7-9E6F-43EC-A074-985D2A280C35

Edited by Cris Garcia
  • Like 25

4 minutes ago, Cris Garcia said:

I know the spinner colour was black

AFAIK, red, with white bands.

This is from looking at this in particular

large_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=photograph

85 used flight colours in France, the C/O, S/Ldr Peter Townsend P3166 VY-Q, has a white spinner, and there is a pre war shot of 111 Sq using the 111 numerals, with the top part in flight colour, but C/O plane with all white, as to the explanation for that.

Flight colours, are red, blue and yellow, for A,B and C flights

And from the tonal values, VY-R best matches red, in the above the spinner is good tonal match for the gun patches, which were fabric dope, basically the same brick red as roundel red,  and the stripes are very bright, as bright as the fin flash.

So roundel red with white stripes.  No idea why the white bands, section leader perhaps?  

At the time 85 Sq (and 17 sq, also at Debden) appear to have been using flight coloured spinners.   

the wavy leading edges were seen on both 85 (R, K, H, N) and 17 sq (A, C, W), I assume a quirk on the Debden paint shop. 

for more and links to Flickr albums.

see https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235080866-hurricane-mki-arma-hobby-72nd-scheme-tbc/#elControls_3855093_menu

Note that underwing roundels did not get reintroduced until August 1940, and that Italeri have used prop blade stencils from a warbird. 

hope in the info is of interest.

But, that is a very neat and tidy build of  the kit.   

:goodjob:

Cheers

T

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

AFAIK, red, with white bands.

This is from looking at this in particular

large_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=photograph

85 used flight colours in France, the C/O, S/Ldr Peter Townsend P3166 VY-Q, has a white spinner, and there is a pre war shot of 111 Sq using the 111 numerals, with the top part in flight colour, but C/O plane with all white, as to the explanation for that.

Flight colours, are red, blue and yellow, for A,B and C flights

And from the tonal values, VY-R best matches red, in the above the spinner is good tonal match for the gun patches, which were fabric dope, basically the same brick red as roundel red,  and the stripes are very bright, as bright as the fin flash.

So roundel red with white stripes.  No idea why the white bands, section leader perhaps?  

At the time 85 Sq (and 17 sq, also at Debden) appear to have been using flight coloured spinners.   

the wavy leading edges were seen on both 85 (R, K, H, N) and 17 sq (A, C, W), I assume a quirk on the Debden paint shop. 

for more and links to Flickr albums.

see https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235080866-hurricane-mki-arma-hobby-72nd-scheme-tbc/#elControls_3855093_menu

Note that underwing roundels did not get reintroduced until August 1940, and that Italeri have used prop blade stencils from a warbird. 

hope in the info is of interest.

But, that is a very neat and tidy build of  the kit.   

:goodjob:

Cheers

T

Thanks Troy! It is an honor for me to have your knowledge at my post.

Long live to the Hurricane!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Italeri have used prop blade stencils from a warbird.

Not the first time I've seen that, either. Obviously relying too much on the warbird markings, rather than both it and photographs/documents. Annoyingly, when I did my Tr.9 Spitfire, I struggled to find the correct markings for a modern Dowty-Rotol propeller!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, keith in the uk said:

Looks very nice indeed albeit a little on the shiny side :coolio: perhaps a quick blow over with some matt coat just to tone it down a bit ? 

It's a Humbrol Satin varnish (acrylic). Maybe the lights makes the photos look shiny and gloss, but the real thing is OK for my eyes. Thanks for your comment!

6 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Excellent Hurricane!

The wing lanterns look a bit obvious – IIRC, only the actual ligth bulb is coloured, while the glass cover is clear…

Nice work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Very useful tip, Joachim. Thanks! For the next one (probably Airfix, or maybe Arma Hobby?) they will be spot on!

Edited by Cris Garcia
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

Wonderful Hurricane Chris!   Mighty fine work sir! :clap2:

Thank you very much Gary! Glad you like it 😎

My great Grandmother family, Carmen Steel Crawford, came from Liverpool and she was born in La Serena, Chile.  Several of her relatives (uncles, cousins, etc.) fought and gave their lives on the Great War and  WWII.  For me there's a special link with the RAF and the Fleet Air Arm ❤️

Edited by Cris Garcia