Grumman F7F-2N Tigercat "Big Bird"

Great build of a stunning aeroplane!

Oh how how I miss the one that used to live at Duxford. 

Hi hi have one of these in the stash, I really must dig out and get it built. We really don’t see enough Tigercats on BM. 

Well done. 

James

• Thanks 1

Yes Gary ,

I can only echoe all other fellows. Really amazing model, especially in this colour.  I think it was it worth. Your photography is perfect, I have to look twice, if it is the original plane or not. By the way, is this the 1/48?

Cheers 

Andy 

• Thanks 1

Honestly, that's perfect in every way possible. The overall finish is superb and the photography is as professional as the final product. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

This looks like the real thing Gary! The airport backdrop adds a lot to this reality feeling. I love the yellow color on that Tigercat, much more beautiful than the drab sea blue paint! Your exhaust stains look perfect to me, just like on the original photo.  What a beautiful model.

To add more bow weight on front-wheelers I suggest using metal replacement P&Ws if you can get them. They are kind of 'natural' ballast.

How much I now long for building an F7F... Keep those fantastic models coming to inspire me. Cheers, Michael

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Farmerboy said:

Oh she’s a beauty Gary, and you got that exhaust staining just right, long time in the making but well worth the wait, really good job 👏 

Peter, I so appreciate your wonderful comments!   Thank you my friend for that!  :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Excellent build once again Gary. The yellow was a surprise.  However it looks good and should brighten up your cabinet. 

You are so right Greg, that yellow is hard to miss!  Thanks for your kind words mate! 😀

6 hours ago, dnl42 said:

That's a gorgeous looking Tigercat! :clap2:

And to think, it's parent was the XF5F!

They are simply gorgeous aircraft aren't they?   Thank you for saying that dnl42!   Who knew that XF5F had such beautiful genes in her DNA?!?  😁

5 hours ago, franky boy said:

Great build of a stunning aeroplane!

Oh how how I miss the one that used to live at Duxford. 

Hi hi have one of these in the stash, I really must dig out and get it built. We really don’t see enough Tigercats on BM. 

Well done. 

James

Thank you James!   I sincerely appreciate your comments; I've not been as fortunate as you to see one "in the metal"!    It's a great idea to have a go at your kit, I look forward to seeing more Tigercats around here.  👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Well done, Gary.  The yellow looks right-- that's not easy to do.

Thanks a million Jackson!  😃  I've been going through "my yellow period" with this one and the underside of my Meteor as well as a yellow-nosed Bf-109E!   I'm getting rather accustomed to it by now.    And, seeing yellow in my dreams!  :D

5 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

Yes Gary ,

I can only echoe all other fellows. Really amazing model, especially in this colour.  I think it was it worth. Your photography is perfect, I have to look twice, if it is the original plane or not. By the way, is this the 1/48?

Cheers 

Andy 

That means so much to me Andy! :like:   It really means a lot coming from a master modeller like yourself.  That is so kind of you to say, yes it is 1/48 scale.   I appreciate your compliment regarding the photography a lot as well.   My closest friend is a professional photographer with many credits in French Vogue magazine.   He gave me some good suggestions last year after my F-84E thread here, and I think that's upped my game a little.  Thanks for noticing Andy! 🍺

5 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Honestly, that's perfect in every way possible. The overall finish is superb and the photography is as professional as the final product. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

Wow, what great compliments Dave!   I don't know if I'm really worthy of them but thank you sincerely for them!   That makes all the teeth-gnashing and nail-biting over the past year so worth the effort.  :D

2 hours ago, Toryu said:

This looks like the real thing Gary! The airport backdrop adds a lot to this reality feeling. I love the yellow color on that Tigercat, much more beautiful than the drab sea blue paint! Your exhaust stains look perfect to me, just like on the original photo.  What a beautiful model.

To add more bow weight on front-wheelers I suggest using metal replacement P&Ws if you can get them. They are kind of 'natural' ballast.

How much I now long for building an F7F... Keep those fantastic models coming to inspire me. Cheers, Michael

I'm humbled by your wonderful comments Michael.   That is so nice to hear from you; someone who has inspired me so many times!  It's true that the airport setting adds a lot to the model's presence and I'm fortunate to be able to use that to my real advantage.    When I saw the yellow version of the model on the sides of the box, I knew immediately that I wanted to build that one.   I think she came out pretty good, much better than I expected at more than a few points of the long journey to completion. 😉    Thanks also for the ballast tip, that might come in handy for my WWII twin-engined bombers!  :like:

I expect to see an amazing Tigercat from you in the future my friend!

I also want to thank all of you who have given your "likes" for my model; I appreciate those reactions too!:worthy:

Edited by Gary Brantley
added thanks

6 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Well done, Gary.  The yellow looks right-- that's not easy to do.

I agree, the yellow isn't easy to do but the finished model is superb.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roberto said:

Beautiful!!! Bravo.

Many thanks Roberto!  🥂  I'm glad that you like her! 

1 hour ago, SAT69 said:

I agree, the yellow isn't easy to do but the finished model is superb.

Much appreciated sir!  😀   Thanks a lot! 

Wow Gary!!!!! I rarely ever see a Tigercat let alone one dressed in yellow and never as nice as your`s presented here.  I like the way it turned out.  That`s a testament to your impressive skills.  Great results!!!!!! :clap2:

Mike

• Thanks 1

Man, those Tigercats are beautiful planes, and you done her justice here! That yellow looks super sharp and the exhaust staining looks picture perfect. And chalks are how I do mine too. I built one of these quite a few years ago and ended up with the tail-sit just like you, even with a lot of weight in the nose. Ended up using a thin metal rod at the tail.

If you want, you could secure all the gear to the base. Wouldn't be able to move it independently then, but she'd be on all three.

• Thanks 1

Very nice model, Gary. Congrats! And thanks for the construction tips. They will be very helpful when I build mine.

Ivan

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Wow Gary!!!!! I rarely ever see a Tigercat let alone one dressed in yellow and never as nice as your`s presented here.  I like the way it turned out.  That`s a testament to your impressive skills.  Great results!!!!!! :clap2:

Mike

Hey Mike, I awoke this morning to find your wonderful comments on my model. Thank you very much for saying that!   My late Dad used to say, "Even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then."    So much of my time modeling I feel like that blind pig; and sometimes maybe  do find that "acorn".  😁   A lot of luck involved! 😉 

You know, after learning about that weighted plumber's putty from you, I had planned on trying some in the nose-cone of this model. But, I was so anxious about installing the front landing gear, I completely forgot about trying it!   Dang!   But, next time...😀    I surely appreciate what you've said here Mike!  🍺

11 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Man, those Tigercats are beautiful planes, and you done her justice here! That yellow looks super sharp and the exhaust staining looks picture perfect. And chalks are how I do mine too. I built one of these quite a few years ago and ended up with the tail-sit just like you, even with a lot of weight in the nose. Ended up using a thin metal rod at the tail.

If you want, you could secure all the gear to the base. Wouldn't be able to move it independently then, but she'd be on all three.

Thanks Thom! :like:  I enjoyed reading your kind comments and appreciate the compliments so much!    I put off trying that exhaust stain for days, quite intimidated by that step.  But after "jumping in", it went better than expected and no doubt, better than I could've airbrushed it with my AB skills.   I'm glad to hear you use the same method! 

Last evening, I placed this Tigercat into the display cabinet, after using a small dot of Alene's Tacky Glue to attach the barrel to the underside of the tail.   None of my models are on a base; my tarmac "mock-up" is used for most of the photo sessions at airports.   This model is sure easy to spot in the display!   No missing that yellow paint job!   And, with the barrel sitting way in back, it's barely noticeable!  

Thanks again, and yes, I agree Tigercats are beautiful birds!  😀

• Like 2

10 hours ago, IvanP said:

Very nice model, Gary. Congrats! And thanks for the construction tips. They will be very helpful when I build mine.

Ivan

Many thanks to you Ivan, and you're quite welcome too!   I hope the tips will come in handy on your Tigercat project.   The main gear installation I used just seemed much more doable and practical than the kit directions method.    I'm very pleased to read your kind comments Ivan!  🥂

9 hours ago, Dunny said:

Lovely finish and weathering Gary - very nicely done!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks so much Roger!    Much appreciated, I assure you sir! 🍻 

Thanks to all who've taken their busy time to leave a comment.  It is so appreciated here in the heart of Texas!

I want to give a shout out to the many also who have "liked" my Tigercat model!    Your support and encouragement means a lot to me and provides much needed motivation.😀   Cheers!  Gary

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Roman Schilhart said:

This one turned out really nice, Gary.

Good work on the exhaust stains, you made them look realistic.

And your clear parts are shiny, too!

😀 Thanks a lot Roman!   I'm very glad to read your comments.  Much appreciated my friend.  🍻

And yeah, shiny and clear! 😉 

I want to say that I'm touched, and quite humbled that so many members have expressed their "likes" for my work here.   Many times, we all are our most severe critics and we see the flaws that others kindly overlook or don't mention.   I haven't built a model yet that lived up to the expectations I had during construction and I think that's true for many of us.  Thanks sincerely to you all for liking my Tigercat model!  :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

• Like 1