Clear Prop's 1/72 A5M4 Claude built Out-Of-the-Box

My local club has a group build going on for this month's meeting, and although time is short, I thought I would contribute something. The theme is WW2 in the Pacific. Originally, I had planned to build a P-38 Lightning, but reality sat in and I selected this kit from my stash instead:

51273181623_4fc207d1d4_c.jpg 

I surprised myself by finishing this build in just ten days (and, it was not the only project on my bench)! The Clear Prop kit is very, very good but does take some care to assemble. Details of the build (100-percent OOB) are in my WIP thread, here:

All-in-All, I'm quite pleased with how my Claude turned out. Here are the pics:

51296833538_1d2df22a07_b.jpg 

51297664025_5419bb7d16_b.jpg 

51297369164_ff7a8898ac_b.jpg 

51296833558_7e2b480727_b.jpg 

The well-detailed engine and cockpit interior are highlights of this kit. Too bad the details can barely be seen once everything is assembled:

51278611839_006109cc9a_z.jpg   51295912167_e1b71e5c41_z.jpg 

51274446082_ae836a1427_z.jpg   51295912287_aaab7b8fab_z.jpg 

Japanese aircraft are not my forte (I've only ever built one before -- Tamiya's excellent 1/72 Ki-61 "Tony"), but my experience with this kit makes me want to do more... I can see an Airfix Kate on my horizon 😉

51297664060_6df1174ce9_b.jpg

• Like 57

4 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

Very cool!  The Japanese flag on the antenna mast is breathtaking! What’s your secret?

Thanks for asking about the flag, I forgot to document this in my WIP.

The flag is provided as a decal on the decal sheet:

51273181523_36d9fab2db_c.jpg

I carefully cut it out and applied it to a piece of thick aluminum foil (not the thin stuff you find in the kitchen, but heavier foil that I salvaged from a food container). Once the decal was on, I gave it a liberal coat of MicroScale Liquid Decal Film (to help protect it from cracking or flaking in the subsequent bending process.) I then folded the foil in half and glued the two inside surfaces together with PVA glue (Gator Grip). I choose this glue because it would retain some flexibility when cured, unlike CA would. I used thin tweezers to shape the flag as if it were in a gentle breeze, taking into account that the mast would be at an angle with the plane on the ground. The last thing I did before gluing the flag to the mast was to apply a thin gray wash -- this softened the colors and created a shadowed effect in the folds of the flag.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Beautiful! Every detail looks well-done on this build. Isn't this a handsome model of an exotic plane in its silver paint and red markings?

• Thanks 1

One more photo to show. Our local club is meeting this weekend, where the group builds will be shown. I wanted to include something special with my Claude, so I tried my hand at building a carrier-deck base and added an IJN pilot (CMK resin, very nice.)

51314497328_e447d17777_b.jpg 

• Like 6

Very nice build, the trick with flags is to put the decals on baking foil, and trim it to size, that way you can bend it in different directions as though it is being blown in the wind

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

Mister.....for being a ten day build you must've spent ALOT of time during that span building this. Looks great!!!! 

Thanks. It’s good to be retired.

• Haha 2

• 7 months later...

Do you know the term "Dark Horse"?

Yesterday was the IPMS-USA Region 5 Convention, hosted by Mad City Modelers here in Madison, Wisconsin. On a whim, I took my ClearProp Claude (entry fee was $10 for 5 models -- I needed a 5th and the Claude fit in my transport box).

Wow! Was I surprised when it placed 1st in the "Aircraft Out-of-the-Box" category! I really wasn't expecting anything, because the competition was fierce.

51925963516_1690874eb1_b.jpg 

One final comment -- May God protect the good folks at ClearProp, their families, and the citizens of Ukraine.

• Like 6