Eduard 1/48 F6F-3

6Here we go the spru shot, this seem huge compared to the 109 I'm undecided which option to build swaying towards the USS Intrepid version and maybe wheels down! 😯

I'm not sure why there are two fuselage sprus they look the same to my untrained eye.

2021-07-10_06-40-51

Dave

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Bbdave said:

6Here we go the spru shot, this seem huge compared to the 109 I'm undecided which option to build swaying towards the USS Intrepid version and maybe wheels down! 😯

I'm not sure why there are two fuselage sprus they look the same to my untrained eye.

2021-07-10_06-40-51

Dave

the fuselage halves are for either the Mk.I, windows behind pilot, or Mk.II which has no windows

rgds

John(shortCummins)

1 hour ago, shortCummins said:

the fuselage halves are for either the Mk.I, windows behind pilot, or Mk.II which has no windows

rgds

John(shortCummins)

Oh yes I see that now, thanks.

Dave

I have the cockpit about done, a few touch ups to do I have had a quick dry fit in the fuselage there seems to be a big gap between the headrest and fuselage but that may go when glue gets involved.

2021-07-11_06-06-06

2021-07-11_06-06-29

Dave

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Things are progressing I'm going to try painting this one freehand with no masking  as I'm not sure how to mask a blurry edge. White underside is done and I've practiced a little with the first blue grey colour I can see quite a bit of paint changing and touching up comming.

2021-07-25_11-20-39

Dave

• Like 8

if you want to make masks for blurred edges you could make some blu-tac sausages, form them along where you want the demarcation to be and spray at an angle. This will give a "soft edge" to the demarcation between the two colours.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Thanks 1

I used blue tac and tried that for the faded lines it needs a bit more practice but I'm quite happy with the results. I think the lines should be a little rougher looking at pictures of the aircraft online.

2021-08-01_07-20-35

Dave

• Like 9

by making the blue tac sausages fatter or thinner you can alter the amount of "blur", the fatter gives more blur than the thinner

looking really good for a first attempt

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 1

I'm now onto decals which is made I little more difficult as it seem the stencil sheet is marked up wrong so I'm trying to read the stencils to find which they are and to get them in the right place.

Dave

• Like 2

All done lots still to improve on but I'm happy with it. One question i have is when I took the masks off the cockpit has some fogging on the inside there was none when it was masked I had similar on my 109 build but not as noticeable any ideas what it might be?

2021-08-07_04-02-15

2021-08-07_04-04-33

Dave

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bbdave said:

I used mig extra thin cement but it was a day or two before masking .

Dave

the only thing I can think of is that somehow the CA glue used to fix the cockpit PE might have caused the fogging? but if you glued the PE some time, hours?, before fixing the glass you should have been OK.

very strange

rgds

John(shortCummins)

2 hours ago, shortCummins said:

the only thing I can think of is that somehow the CA glue used to fix the cockpit PE might have caused the fogging? but if you glued the PE some time, hours?, before fixing the glass you should have been OK.

very strange

rgds

John(shortCummins)

Maybe but the PE was glued several days beforehand I can only guess it's something like that.

Dave

47 minutes ago, Bbdave said:

Maybe but the PE was glued several days beforehand I can only guess it's something like that.

Dave

I guess that points the finger of suspicion at the Extra Thin? 

I've taken to using woodworking glue for canopies. Water based so no chance of fogging, Fills gaps and is easily cleaned up (before it dries) with a wet cotton bud. Dries hard and strong. It's just PVA with extra strength. Only downside is that it takes a while to dry, so I do the job last thing in a session.