Airco and De Havilland - from stick and string to the jet age! Chat

2 hours ago, CliffB said:

I'm hoping that we see a nice selection of biplanes in this Group Build :)

And you will.  I am pleased to be looking at my new KP DH.9A kits.  I was going to use one for the Silver Wings GB but zI think I can use it for this one.  It has just been released and the assorted plumage offered is intriguing.  Tell me, would I be able to also build the Polikarpov R-1?  I know, redesigned and built under licence, more or less...tricky commies.  

• Like 1

I am very glad this has got through. Sadly, I built all four of my DHC-6 Twin Otters, but I find I still have a bagged Airfix DH4 and a quaint, if scary, CMR DH9A which is calling me, if only to build it because of the KP one being issued now. If I do, it will be in Latvian markings.

Ray

• Like 1

Whilst probably not a De Havilland/Airco design I believe that Geoffrey De Havilland is credited as the designer of the original BE 2 range of biplanes produced by the Royal Aircraft Factory though I gather the BE 2C had a lot of design input by E T Busk who was working on inherent stability, which was of course was to prove both a blessing and a curse. Would my Airfix BE 2C therefore be eligible - if not it can always go in the Recce GB.

Pete

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PeterB said:

Would my Airfix BE 2C therefore be eligible - if not it can always go in the Recce GB.

I’m going to say not, as there are no shortage of pure Dehavilland designs out there and I’ve already stretched the brief by having Airco to get the WWI types in. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

I'm very enthusiastic about this GB...I gave a quick look-see...

52509039230_f35bdbbf85_c_d.jpg

The DH-2 kit has been following me around since Eduard released it back in...a long time ago. I think I should build it.  

I'm still awaiting a ruling from @Marklo on the Poikarpov...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, John Masters said:

The DH-2 kit has been following me around since Eduard released it back in...a long time ago. I think I should build it.  

Funnily enough I have an Eduard Dh2 in exactly the same boat :) 

• Like 3

Battling my way through an Eindekker at the moment, but think I ought to do an RFC bird to balance things up. I'll have a look at what's on the shelf, but know there's a Pegasus DH2 as well as the Eduard one lurking there somewhere. Possibly a simpler one next though methinks. Perhaps a Dolphin?. . . . .

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Alas, the Dolphin was a Sopwith design…

Bugger

Of course I meant that other backward staggered jobbie the DH5 🙄

(Obviously past my bedtime) 🥱😆 

Edited by DaddyO
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, John Masters said:

My apologies...the R-1 was unlicensed.  

I’d say so long as you cite it as a DeHavelland copy it would be fine. E.g the Dassault folks are letting me build a Nesher which was made in Israel off stolen plans.

• Like 2

The enthusiasm won't last but at this stage I'd like to do the vacform 1/72nd DH10 I think I mentioned way back but am too lazy to check, and maybe also a Blue Max 1/48th DH2 (because I'm just reading the new DH2 book from Cross & Cockade I bought at the weekend).

Paul.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, John Masters said:

After a full inventory I can safely say that I could probably build nothing but Dehavilland aircraft all year long

I think I could too, but I think it’s because they were responsible for so many significant aircraft. The DH2, the DH9, the Tiger moth, the Mosquito, the Vampire and Venom, the list goes on and on.

Not sure when the start date was, but filled with enthusiasm I've already made inroads into the 72nd KP DH5 whilst the paint on the Eindekker is hardening off 😁

Comparing to the plan in the windsock datafile the wingtips needed a slight adjustment and the fin rudder area also came in for a few tweaks. Once that was done I set about reducing the flying surfaces to an acceptable thickness (although to be fair they aren't too bad, but one of the attractions for me is the delicacy of these aircraft) The opening in the cowl is a bit too small, but that was easily rectified as were the cooling slots and thickness. After creating a pile of plastic dust I've now started adding some details . . . .

Paul

ps - Anyone got a decent Vickers they'd like to get rid of to replace the rather bland kit item?

Edited by DaddyO
missed comment

2 minutes ago, DaddyO said:

Not sure when the start date was, but filled with enthusiasm I've already made inroads into the 72nd KP DH5 whilst the paint on the Eindekker is hardening off 😁

Comparing to the plan in the windsock datafile the wingtips needed a slight adjustment and the fin rudder area also came in for a few tweaks. Once that was done I set about reducing the flying surfaces to an acceptable thickness (although to be fair they aren't too bad, but one of the attractions for me is the delicacy of these aircraft) The opening in the cowl is a bit too small, but that was easily rectified as were the cooling slots and thickness. After creating a pile of plastic dust I've now started adding some details . . . .

Paul

ps - Anyone got a decent Vickers they'd like to get rid of to replace the rather bland kit item?

I'd also remove the groove on the fuselage if I was you. This is a misinterpretation of the stitching along the side, made originally by CMR, whose kit served as the master for the KP one. I'd also check the markings you plan on using if you're using the kit ones. The boxing I've built had an RAAF presentation machine with a white stripe below the cockpit which seems to have been traced off the side profile, so ends where the wing tip cuts off the view (the real one went down to the wing root, the decal stops 1/2cm short). Just sayin'.

Paul.

• Like 1

Cheers Paul

Not sure on the markings yet, but maybe the third option shown since there are a couple of pictures in the DF. Certainly need to do something about the stitching which is such a characteristic of the aircraft (I've added a few wrinkles already) A friend used small scale anchor chain on one of his which was better, but a bit bulky IMO so I'll see if I can find something suitable in etched maybe?

Paul

4 hours ago, DaddyO said:

The start date isn't until 29 April next year.   This should give you plenty of time to complete your DH5, get your hand in and find another kit for the GB.  :)

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

The start date isn't until 29 April next year.   This should give you plenty of time to complete your DH5, get your hand in and find another kit for the GB.  :)

😲🥴 Ah well 

You're looking at a man who doesn't even buy green bananas - who knows what I'll be up to in April 😉

Paul

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, DaddyO said:

You're looking at a man who doesn't even buy green bananas - who knows what I'll be up to in April 

And I thought I could be impetuous….

You can have the honour of being first in the inspiration gallery when it opens next year :) 

• Like 3