Airco and De Havilland - from stick and string to the jet age! Chat

15 hours ago, UberDaveToo said:

Looks like I could come out 'n play with the third option in this triple kit:

And there was me thinking my DH2 would be the earliest type in the GB :) that looks pretty cool to me.

• Like 2

• Marklo changed the title to Airco and De Havilland - from stick and string to the jet age! 29th April to 20th August
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2021 at 8:08 AM, zebra said:

Count me in. There are only 11 aircraft on the list in my stash and a few more that I can see myself adding to it so plenty to choose from.

Is there a reason the DHC-8 Dash 8 isn't on your list?

@Marklo, it looks like this question was missed near the beginning of the thread.

I am also interested know if the DHC-8 is eligible.

• 1 month later...

I have so far skipped this completely, but :shrug: I can't resist any longer. There's the new Airfix recce-Mosquito on order now and where else should I continue my current trend of building Brits with Stars and Bars than here :winkgrin:. Please sign me too, Marklo

• Like 2

I may also have to sign up for this for a couple of reasons:

1) I have a bunch of Airco kits: DH1 & 1a, 2, 4, 5, 6, 9, 9a (all 1:72 of course)

2) Geoffrey de Havilland was born in my home town and started his aircraft construction there (High Wycombe).

Not like I don't already have too much on the go......

Oh well...

Ian

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I've made my decisions for this GB.

Airfix Beaver.  I never had the chance to build one back in the day.  Now I do! :thumbsup:

AZ Model Hornet.   I understand there are issues with the nacelles on this kit.  Well...  I have an Aerocraft Models resin replacement set, so I'm not scared! :lol:  

Cyber Hobby Sea Vixen.     Again, there are shape issues with this kit.  I'll probably just replace the nose and live with the rest.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Decisions decisions.

22 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Do you really want my opinion? 

:Obviously the decision is in which order should they be built

• Haha 2

I have a DH2, a DH4, a DH 9, a tiger moth ( all 1/48) and a vampire (1/72)  in the stash and yes I  am planning to build em all I’m also toying with the idea of a DH 10…..

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, Marklo said:

and yes I  am planning to build em all

That's my boy!  :thumbsup: 

28 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

I always wanted to build a Mosquito as a child, so I suppose this is a good opportunity! I'm really loving GBs, I always learn a lot. I bought the Tamiya Mk IV kit yesterday and I have some cool decals to use...

:thumbsup:

And now I want to build a Mosquito as well...! 

• Haha 2

Well it looks as though I'll be doing a DH9 Blue Rider conversion of the Airfix DH4 kit. I may add a Pegasus DH4 for good measure.

I'll be on vacation from 26th April until 17th May, is it acceptable to start preparing the Blue Rider fuselage now to at least get me to where I would be starting with a good kit? It needs engine and cockpits opening up and a lot of thinning to allow fitting an interior....

Ian

2 hours ago, Brandy said:

I'll be on vacation from 26th April until 17th May, is it acceptable to start preparing the Blue Rider fuselage now to at least get me to where I would be starting with a good kit? It needs engine and cockpits opening up and a lot of thinning to allow fitting an interior....

We’ll adhere to the 25% rule i.e. some prep is ok so long as you haven’t exceeded 25% of the total build. If you want to keep going past 25%before the official start of the GB, then you can still post a wip thread but put the finished photos into the inspiration gallery.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/18/2023 at 5:43 AM, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Airfix Beaver.  I never had the chance to build one back in the day.  Now I do! :thumbsup:

A nice choice Enzo, just make sure you ignore the pilot seat hole guides on the cabin floor as they are too far back and don’t line up with the two cabin side doors. Other than that, it’s quite a nice kit to build. 

Cheers.. Dave (mulling over a Vampire and / or Mistral build?)

• Thanks 1

Having done the 100% thing with the DH5 (Now in the completed section and WIP thread here - 

At a show yesterday I picked up a couple of DH1a's in 72nd (one resin and one vacform) which now means I have a nice selection of Geoffrey's early designs to choose from later this month (DH1, DH1a, DH2, Dh4, DH6 and DH9a) Favourite at the moment is the vac DH6, but I might have a go at one of the pushers . . . . .🙄

Paul

ps 

Apologies for the double link posted which I can't seem to get rid of 

Edited by DaddyO
double link
  • Like 2

Cool,  can’t have too many entries :) 

I'm not familiar with the DH6 must do a little research.

Ok it’s like a bad copy of a BE2c hmm might attempt one for the GB…

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Cool,  can’t have too many entries :) 

I'm not familiar with the DH6 must do a little research.

Ok it’s like a bad copy of a BE2c hmm might attempt one for the GB…

The  vac (Phoenix, 1988) was very good, reissued with white metal bits and decals at a later date. Goes together very easily for a vac, helped by the simplicity of the airframe. I've no direct experience of the Hobartville resin.

Nearly finished the DH9a (KP and Clearprop) review builds, so should be able to put my mind to this group build Real Soon Now.

Paul.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...