1/700 IJN Oyodo

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. Just getting back into the ship modelling.  Just finished a half started Tamiya IJN Junyo and then moved straight onto this one.

IJN Oyodo.

Wouldn't have been my first choice, really wanted to do a Takao class cruiser but prices and supply make choices limited currently it seems. It did tick a few boxes for me however,  I was keen to work on another IJN subject, it came with a fairly comprehensive photo etch sheet and I managed to snag it for £15 delivered.

It's a late 70s kit, and boy does it show.  The hull in particular is absent of any detail save a poorly molded anchor and some port holes. The photo etch I've added so far only replaces two plastic parts, the rest is all new detail so thank goodness I got the DX version with the PE.

Saying that I'm enjoying the build and the photoetch is probably just at the right level in terms of complexity and amount for me getting back into the game.  I've also never made a sea base so that's on the list of things to have a crack at.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth picking up some brass barrels for the main 6.1inch guns but they're so small already I'm not sure if it's worth the money and time to install.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Hencore
  • Like 8

Looking good Hen, ...Mr Core, very neat etch.

Couldn't tell you've been away from the plate for a while. I've also been away for a bit, but doing some trials on 1/1200s first. One thing I would suggest: do a couple of seascapes before you commit this beaut to one, i found it particularly easy to go overboard or generally ruin after combining the two.

David