Plan 9 from outer space UFO

This was a father's day gift and was a fun build because "Polar Lights has spent no expense to make this the most accurate studio-scale model created by mortal man."  I added arms and hands to the pilot and a few buttons and levers to the cockpit.  Unexpected bonus - turns out the rocket propulsion engines (or possibly electrode guns) which mount on top of the saucer are also anti-matter discharge cannons if mounted UNDERNEATH... the wonders of mid-50's alien technology.

Plan-9-ufo-01.jpg

Plan-9-ufo-02.jpg

Plan-9-ufo-03.jpg

Plan-9-ufo-04.jpg

• Like 25

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, rockpopandchips said:

I know the place well, you local?

Not any more but I used to take the kids there when they were kids. Is it still open, I wonder? I also used to wonder if it was built by/for Americans to serve the nearby USAF base at Alconbury. It looked so 1950 USA. I've just had a read of the Cambridge papers and see that it was built in 1990 so it was new when I knew it. It was called Megatron and in '93 became a McD but I'd left the area by then. And it was popular with the Americans. Closed down in 2000.

y4mUHmYOD-DJzOmSqJ_zRArb6qH1zxK5dhYql0-R

@CarlR, if you want me to delete the photo, just let me know.

• Like 2

Bertie - no need to delete anything...  it is an interesting side note to the post.  'Sides, if I'm going to watch Plan 9 and then build a model of the saucer featured in it - well you correctly infer that I don't modelling too seriously. It was interesting to read that the Megatron was built so (relatively) recently. Very likely to have happened in the 50's but I'd have thought the idea would have been scrapped before the ink was even dry on the initial sketches in the 90's.

8 hours ago, CarlR said:

Bertie - no need to delete anything...  it is an interesting side note to the post.  'Sides, if I'm going to watch Plan 9 and then build a model of the saucer featured in it - well you correctly infer that I don't modelling too seriously. It was interesting to read that the Megatron was built so (relatively) recently. Very likely to have happened in the 50's but I'd have thought the idea would have been scrapped before the ink was even dry on the initial sketches in the 90's.

I didn't think you'd mind the digression, cool. 

When I used the diner, it was new but seemed very old. I guess because of the design. It was also rather dingy inside having no windows, rather like being underground. Good burgers though!

Edited by Bertie Psmith

On 7/26/2021 at 4:00 AM, dnl42 said:

Fabulous! :thumbsup:

And for those who haven't yet see the worst movie of all time! Come on, you know you want to!

"Plan 9" is far from the Worst... Movie... EVER!, it's too entertaining for that. 

Nice UFO, @CarlR! I believe the 1954 Lindbergh UFO kit was used for the movie, Tim Burtons dinner plates painted silver notwithstanding:

https://www.scalemates.com/nl/kits/lindberg-517-flying-saucer--320236

Cheers,

Andre

• 2 weeks later...

Very nicely done ! love the extra work you did you have inspired me to finish mine !

Looks just like the ones i see flying around here.