Twopolevs! Two Tu-154Ms

zebra

Next up from me, more Russian airliners - two Zvezda 1/144 Tu-154Ms. A much simpler kit than the Il-62 so should be able to build these pretty quickly. One of them will be in the colours of the Gromov Flight Research Institute, not sure about the other yet - I have Classic Airlines decals for Aeronica and Guyana Airways, and F-DCAL decals for the Polish Government. Leaning towards one of the Classic Airlines options, just because I've not used that brand before and I've heard good things about them.

Here's the box shot:

1:144 Tu-154

I've started filling the windows and I'm getting on with painting the centre engine bits, which need to go in before the fuselage is closed up, and assembling wings. Hoping to get them assembled and on to painting pretty quickly.

• Like 11

A very nice choice(s) Julian :thumbsup2:.  I've previously built the Eastern Express 1/200 scale Tu-154, but trust that you will have a much better experience!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CliffB said:

I've previously built the Eastern Express 1/200 scale Tu-154, but trust that you will have a much better experience!

Seems like a pretty safe bet!

• Haha 1

These old Russian jets are great to look at.

I have just been transferring the numbers from my spotting logs for 92/93 on to an Excel sheet and have just finished the Aerolflots,   IL-62, TU-104, TU-134, IL-76, IL-86, AN-124, all jets with real character.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

These old Russian jets are great to look at.

I have just been transferring the numbers from my spotting logs for 92/93 on to an Excel sheet and have just finished the Aerolflots,   IL-62, TU-104, TU-134, IL-76, IL-86, AN-124, all jets with real character.

Surely you mean Tu-154 rather than 104!

Absolutely agree, the Soviet-built airliners really stood out. I remember seeing Tu-134s (mostly Aviogenex) and 154s (mostly Balkan, sometimes Tarom and Aeroflot) regularly at Manchester in the 80s, with the occasional Il-18. I think there was a weekly (might have been even less frequent than that) Aeroflot flight to Moscow which was a Tu-154, on a Sunday I think - I remember once standing on top of the pier (remember when you could do that!) looking down at the crew, and there was a man next to us holding up a protest sign in Russian.  I don't recall seeing Il-62s there very often but would see them, and more Tu-154s, on the occasional trip to Heathrow. Young spotters these days must see nothing like the variety of types we used to see!

• Like 2

Heathrow in the 60's when the viewing deck on the Queen's Building was open.......

.......the weekly Tu-104,

.......the occasional Il-14 Crate,

and once only........the civilian version of the Tu-95 Bear [the full title of which escapes me]. Noisy sod !

Wish I still had all my photos from the 50's & 60's, lost in many work related moves. :o{

Looking forward to  following your build, Julian.

Best........Rog

• Like 2

5 hours ago, roginoz said:

the civilian version of the Tu-95 Bear

That's be the Tu-114? Much the same engines & wings as the Tu-95. I'd have loved to seen one of them. :)

I could be tempted by one of these Tu-154 kits too, I've long thought they were a good looking aircraft, though with a less than stellar record, possibly more due to the operators than the aircraft.

Steve.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, zebra said:

Surely you mean Tu-154 rather than 104!

I really liked the TU-104, OK Jet in particular looked smart.  The 154 a proper Tri-Jet of its time.  

• Like 1

Main colours painted. First the Gromov aircraft:

Gromov Tu-154 WIP

And the other one, which I've decided will be in Guyana Airways colours:

Guyana Airways Tu-154 WIP

GB deadline is looming. I think the Il-62 is heading for the KUTA GB, but if I can get the other bits (nose cones, aluminium leading edges and red wingtips) painted tomorrow these should make the deadline.

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 3

Got most of the rest of the painting done today - just need to do the red wingtips and the Guyana Airways one needs a black tip to the radome. Hopefully I can find time to get it done tomorrow.

Gromov Tu-154 WIP

Guyana Airways Tu-154 WIP

• Like 4