Dornier Do217E Undercarriage Colours

fishplanebeer

Just a quick question re' my current Do217E project.

The kit instructions indicate that the undercarriage legs and mud guard should be RLM02 with black gaiters which seems sensible as the wheel wells will be this colour but as I don't trust Italeri given the other issues so far with the kit would this be correct or would any part be natural metal instead? I'm also planning to paint the wheel hubs in satin black which again would look correct but just want to double check as well please.

Regards

Colin.

FWIW, the instructions in the 1/48 Revell kit call for "gray" struts with black gaiters, and they use the same "gray" label for other areas that are clearly RLM 02, so I think it's a pretty safe bet.

• Thanks 1

Hi

vaguely in my memory i recall luftwaffe a/c had a portion of the u/c legs painted red if they used 100 octane fuel,(C-3?) for groundcrew info.

I cant recall what octane the DO-217 used at the mo

cheers

jerry 

Edited by brewerjerry
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

vaguely in my memory i recall luftwaffe a/c had a portion of the u/c legs painted red if they used 100 octane fuel,(C-3?) for groundcrew info.

I cant recall what octane the DO-217 used at the mo

cheers

jerry 

I believe that was only for fighters, like Me109G's and Fw190D's. they were the ones that used the high rated fuel.

I await being corrected on this.

Chris

• Like 1

Hi

Hopefully someone comes along

I cant get to my files at the moment

but net searches seem to say the original DO-217 engines were 801A/L run on B-3 

the later DO-217 engines were a modified 801D-2 which ran on C-3 

so maybe ?  possibly ? 

the bombers did the same thing ? 

a friend of mine in the uk, many years ago recovered a FW-190A-5  fighter bomber u/c leg that had red paint on it which crashed off devon coast 

any experts  ? 

cheers

jerry 

Edited by brewerjerry
  • Like 1

I've never seen any suggestion of German bombers running on 100 octane, which was always rare.  It permitted the use of higher boost, and hence more power for short periods, which was much more useful for fighters than bombers.  A clue perhaps is in the term "later" where you are making an early version.

I'd have thought it more likely on the faster, later bombers such as the Ju.88S and Ju.188, and their reconnaissance variants, but have not seen any reference to those types having red legs.  I have seen at least one colour photo of a late (AS or D) variant of the Bf.109 with red legs, but I believe that it is not known to have been widely used even on these types.

I think the idea is a red herring.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

a friend of mine in the uk, many years ago recovered a FW-190A-5  fighter bomber u/c leg that had red paint on it which crashed off devon coast 

According to spec, the A-5 did run on C3/100 fuel, but whether that accounts for the red paint is probably still up for debate, as Graham says...

Very interesting stuff here which may come in useful when I get around to my Bf109 builds later this year, but for the time being it seems RLM02 is correct for my Dornier and that satin black would also be correct for the wheel hubs.

I haven't put the build on WIP as my progress is always variable depending upon other commitments but now finished the initial masking off of the fuselage ready for applying the first coat of RLM73 followed by the dreaded masking for the RLM72 splinter pattern, so fingers crossed!

Regards

Colin.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fishplanebeer said:

may come in useful when I get around to my Bf109 builds later this year

Regards

Colin.

Hi

Pm me which type of 109 ( e/f/g etc ) when you are ready

i may have some manuals etc of use to you 

cheers

jerry 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fishplanebeer said:

Very interesting stuff here which may come in useful when I get around to my Bf109 builds later this year, but for the time being it seems RLM02 is correct for my Dornier and that satin black would also be correct for the wheel hubs.

There are a couple of pics floating around various 109 FB groups which show a pair of NOS 'late model' 109 wheels, which appears to have dark grey hubs, so possibly something like RLM66.

• Thanks 1

I've looked at the thread on the Do17 interior colours and added my bit as I don't quite understand why they were painted RLM66 during the initial stages of the BoB when all other aircraft, including the He111H and P were painted in RLM02 but as I don't have the Do17 on my to do list this year I've gracefully bowed out.

As for my Do217E I'm pretty sure these were in RLM66 although for scale purposes I've used the lighter RLM74  otherwise it would just look extremely dark inside and none of the internal details would be visible. Not for the purists I know but I'm very much in the  'if it looks OK then I'm happy' camp, and as I never intend to enter any of my models into competitions (my skills are definitely now where near that level) then I'll be happy and relieved in equal measure if the paint job goes without any major disasters.

Regards

Colin.

1 hour ago, fishplanebeer said:

I've looked at the thread on the Do17 interior colours and added my bit as I don't quite understand why they were painted RLM66 during the initial stages of the BoB when all other aircraft, including the He111H and P were painted in RLM02 but as I don't have the Do17 on my to do list this year I've gracefully bowed out.

As for my Do217E I'm pretty sure these were in RLM66 although for scale purposes I've used the lighter RLM74  otherwise it would just look extremely dark inside and none of the internal details would be visible. Not for the purists I know but I'm very much in the  'if it looks OK then I'm happy' camp, and as I never intend to enter any of my models into competitions (my skills are definitely now where near that level) then I'll be happy and relieved in equal measure if the paint job goes without any major disasters.

Regards

Colin.

From what I've read, bombers went to RLM 66 interiors well before fighters. There are photos clearly showing BoB He 111s with dark gray cockpits.