A trio of Vulcans; XM594 - Waddington, 1981. XL426 - Scampton, 1981. XL317 - Scampton, 1963 (Airfix 1/72 New-Tool)

2 hours ago, Deano353 said:

Wow I can't wait to get one of these! I made the old Airfix kit when I was a kid and this looks to be quite substantial in engineering and parts I saw on Flory Models on YouTube they're doing a build, and two on here, I can't wait to see these finished! How's the fit so far? I've the Hellcat and the kit looks awesome the new Airfix stuff seems to be top of the line from what I can see.

The fit is good so far - as above the tolerances on the nose section are tight and the locating stalks for the bang seats need trimming. Only real fit issue is the tab join for the fuselage sections which just needs fettling, but the wings themselves fit perfectly. 

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

Deano, hope WV908 doesn't mind but here's a link to the pre-production test kit I built for Airfix, last March. Just to give you some idea of how it looks when finished.

I don't mind at all - I don't think anyone on here would mind you chipping in and linking your builds haha 

1 hour ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Great start, loving the photos showing the general structure of the kit and how it builds up. 👍

Thanks :) I had the wacky idea of laying the bits out in a rough Vulcan-y shape and it worked quite nicely I think.

Cheers,

WV908

• Like 5

And then there were three....

PXL_20210708_210712562

Dear oh dear. Well someone on a Facebook modelling group has six of them, so it could be worse haha 

Cheers,

WV908

• Like 9
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, WV908 said:

And then there were three....

.... and I'd just be happy with one!. 

I'm sure I'll lay my hands on one soon enough. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, general melchett said:

Actually, they are in the right place Bob, museum aircraft are sometimes seen with the wipers parked in different positions so look slightly different. I'd been surprised if they were wrong as the data is taken from the LIDAR scan of the subject as is on the day, hence the missing central wiper (doesn't account for the missing upper red anti-collision light though!) with parts not being available to be replaced or off the aircraft for restoration. 

I had looked through the highly recommended book "Vulcan from a Different Angle", where the wipers can be seen on operational aircraft, usually, but not always they are positioned on the outside of the side panels so either side is not wrong.  Whether it depended on the pilots preference or simply where they stopped when switched off but it could start a new game to play, see where the wipers are parked on Vulcan photos. :idea:

• Haha 3

• WV908 changed the title to A trio of Vulcans; XM594 and XL426 - Waddington, 1981. XL317 - Scampton, 1963 (Airfix 1/72 New-Tool)

Since they have now actually arrived I can officially add XL426 and XL317 to the build list.

To clarify, XL426 will be in wraparound camo as in service at Scampton with 617sqn in 1981

XL317 will be in Anti-Flash White with Blue Steel training round fitted as in service at Scampton in 1963

Cheers,

WV908

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WV908 said:

Since they have now actually arrived I can officially add XL426 and XL317 to the build list.

To clarify, XL426 will be in wraparound camo as in service at Waddington with 617sqn in 1981

XL317 will be in Anti-Flash White with Blue Steel training round fitted as in service at Scampton in 1963

Cheers,

WV908

Going to look brilliant, the evolution of Vulcan schemes. 

617 Sqn weren’t at Waddington in 1981 though, they were ‘up the road’ at Scampton.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, elanman said:

617 Sqn weren’t at Waddington in 1981 though, they were ‘up the road’ at Scampton.

Xl426's bio on the VRT website reads in such a way that you'd believe she was still with 617sqn but at Waddington after her last major in 1981. I guess you have to read it a certain way to read it right, but I certainly did think it was odd.

I'll correct it anyway :)

Cheers,

WV908

• Like 1

• WV908 changed the title to A trio of Vulcans; XM594 - Waddington, 1981. XL426 - Scampton, 1981. XL317 - Scampton, 1963 (Airfix 1/72 New-Tool)

I read it as her being with 617 from 21 Jun 78 before the last major at at St Athan and back to 617 after the major from 28 May 81 until they disbanded in late 1981 and then transferred to 50 Sqn on 5 Jan 82 which is when she transferred from Scampton to Waddington.  If still with 617 in 81 then marked accordingly, if with 50 from early 82 then ‘dingoes’ and a City of Lincoln badge on the fin. You have the luxury of choice it seems depending on just when you portray her. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, elanman said:

If with 50 from early 82 then ‘dingoes’ and a City of Lincoln badge on the fin. You have the luxury of choice it seems depending on just when you portray her. 

There is a photo of her on the VRT site at Goose bay in 1982 with the dingoes just visible on the tail and she still looks 'fresh out the box' - I'm tempted to build her as 617sqn one side and 50sqn the other. 

Cheers,

WV908

22 minutes ago, WV908 said:

There is a photo of her on the VRT site at Goose bay in 1982 with the dingoes just visible on the tail and she still looks 'fresh out the box' - I'm tempted to build her as 617sqn one side and 50sqn the other. 

Cheers,

WV908

That is how she is marked as currently preserved at Southend. 617 port, 50 starboard.

On the subject of windscreen wipers, there is a video clip of 426's working on the VRT Facebook page.

Unfortunately, I don't build models any more, never having graduated to multimedia, spraying or weathering so I have had to entrust the build of my 1/72 Vulcan to someone else while I continue to work on the 1/1 version (426).

If anyone needs extra pictures of fine details I may be able to help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@XrayLima Thanks :) You learn something new every day. I previously thought she was 617sqn both sides. 

I would really appreciate some photos of her intakes as a guide for painting please :)

Cheers,

WV908

Not sure if I'm ok linking to this site or not, but this is one of my references for XL317. It looks to be a very early photo - I don't see any difference in the tail cone, there is a large black(?) panel behind the port main gear and it appears from this angle that the radome may be white?

https://www.militaryimages.net/media/avro-vulcan-with-blue-steel-missile.17270/full?d=1521491454

@Adam Poultney @general melchett

Cheers,

WV908

That's an original Red Steer Mk 1 tailcone WV (as comes in the kit), the panel is black, although Airfix, for some reason, have it tan. This was for the panel for the Doppler radar which was changed to a much smaller square panel later. I masked it and airbrushed it using Tamiya XF-69 NATO Black as it has a rather fetching blue/grey tint to it. Also notice that XL317 doesn't have the L Band rectangular blade aerial fitted to the rear of the ECM counterpoise panel, just the three original Red Shrimp jammer domes, this area changed several times as the countermeasures improved.

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @general melchett - should all the dielectric panels be black then too? 

This is one of my other references for XL317 and they all look to be the same colour;

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/09/98/b2/0998b253dad4ad68e1fc467310ad1fcc.jpg

I've had a flick through my 2nd edition of Criag's book and certainly in a lot of photos the circular belly panels look black, but in others (as above) they are a lot lighter. Colour references for Anti-Flash White seem very rare, so could it be that XL317 is an exception and the source of Airfix's tan Doppler panel? 

Cheers,

WV908

24 minutes ago, WV908 said:

Another thumbs down for Airfix QC.

One of my kits has two sets of lower wings and no uppers.

We've all been crying out for sprues in separate bags and now that they have, I was hoping this sort of thing wasn't going to happen. 

Hopefully the Airfix spares team will sort you out? 

Cheers.. Dave 

Hi Dave,

I've contacted the spares department and they give a five day timescale for a reply. 

The two wing sprues are packed together but it's still poor. 

Still, it doesn't trump the worst thing I had happen. I bought the last BBMF set and it was missing the Lancaster. The whole thing. They sorted me out with that so I'm hoping they will do here too. 

Cheers,

WV908

Thanks general melchett - should all the dielectric panels be black then too? 

No, apart from the fin cap, lower nose radome and Doppler panel, everything else should be tan. These could weather to a fairly dark colour in time.   One thing, for some reason, Airfix only scribed one of the circular under intake dielectric panels, (well, at least on the test build I had), luckily they added them as decals.

• Thanks 1

To add insult to injury the rear cockpit bulkhead is also missing from this kit. Since I've already opened it up fully though, I have swapped the wing sprues over with my current unopened kit (which does have the bulkhead) - I'm leaving the bags in this one unopened for now as if I can't get spare wings and need to return a kit, it will be that one.

Anyway, with this in mind I've scratch built a new bulkhead which is now fitted. Cockpits have been painted black and I'll post some photos when the detail painting has been done.

Cheers,

WV908

On 09/07/2021 at 17:23, WV908 said:

@XrayLima Thanks :) You learn something new every day. I previously thought she was 617sqn both sides. 

I would really appreciate some photos of her intakes as a guide for painting please :)

Cheers,

WV908

XL426's fin was repainted in 2018 using multilayer masks custom made by Flightlinegraphics to match the pre-existing markings.

spacer.pngspacer.png

If it helps the debate about the Doppler (Green Satin) panel, this is 426's today. I believe it is still as it was when she retired in 1986 but no doubt there will have been different 'mod' states and paint schemes earlier in her career.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

One part sorted from Jack (thanks!) 

Airfix have asked for more info before they'll check spares for the wings which is reasonable I guess, so I have provided that info.

Worst case scenario is I'll have to return the kit, in which case Jadlam will pay for return postage. The only other problem is that the kit is now sold out everywhere so I'd have to wait for the next batch.

Cheers,

WV908

Update - Spare wings are available and have been posted today! 

Maybe Hornby should take a page out of their sister company's book. Fantastic service from the Airfix spares team here. 

Cheers,

WV908