F4F-3 Wildcat, VF-6, USS Enterprise, early 1942

Hi Everyone,

Thought I`d share some pic`s of my latest effort, hot off the kitchen table

XJFQogt.jpg

My attempt at representing an early Pacific War Wildcat with the over painted smaller markings peeping out

DfVEcHo.jpg

Built almost completely OOB as usual....

UsgzQ29.jpg

...from Hobbyboss`s 1/48 F4F-3 (Late) kit

r7mTrD4.jpg

Additions include the usual: Brake pipes, Ignition Harness and Seat Belts 

xSZB6u7.jpg

Improved the canopy sit by sanding down the fuselage until it sat comfortably on the rails

y33LVoU.jpg

Decals are a mix of: a Yellow Wings Decals, some from the stash and some from the kit

gTjBaAK.jpg

and finally a group shot of my trio of Early Pacific War builds, thought there`s a Vindicator in the stash to join them one day

5FtrQXh.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pic`s, thanks for looking

Cheers Russ

• Like 65
  • Thanks 2

That's delicious Russ. A fine meal you cooked there! And the 3-course menu tastes perfect, too.

I've got an old Monogram model built in 1977 which I hope I find the time to boil up again next year (at least that's the plan). If I could come near yours I would be delighted, but I'm not a 5-star cook like you.

Cheers, Michael

• Thanks 1

an nicely painted and weathered wildcat ,a great trio i really must try some early us navy maybe an airfix wildcat 

ian

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, supersonic said:

Looks great, Top Notch Weathering & Fading !

Group pic is beautiful, btw. what product did you use for the perforated carrier deck?

Hans

Thanks Hans, I`ve only got one piece of actual carrier deck and it wouldn`t have been big enough for the group shot. So I improvised with some Eduard 1/48 PSP, it`s not perfect but if you stand back on a dark day and squint, you can hardly tell.

Cheers Russ 

Yet another corker there Russ and as usual you have selected an interesting scheme and then nailed it.

The US Navy early war (well US early war anyway!) collection look amazing together and I look forward to you adding to them in the future.   

Cheers mate

Tony

• Thanks 1

On 7/7/2021 at 4:12 AM, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Amazing, and the setting makes for great photos! What have you used for the aircraft carrier decking?

Thanks ME, the carrier deck ( wooden with the lift ) is a injection moulded item from Eduard that you just need to paint. as it`s not big enough for the group shot I improvised with some PSP sections ( same thing, injection moulded Eduard ) I got them from Hannants.

Hope this helps, 

Cheers Russ

• Like 1

Lovely finish as ever Russ, and a great trio! Must get round to an FAA Martlet...

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm quite a fan of the HobbyBoss Wildcats, they do have slight issues but build up really well as yours shows. A great trio from an interesting time in US Navy aviation history.

Duncan B

• Thanks 1

Very nice Wildcat- can't  top what the others have said, Russ, but ditto! That F2A sure looks like it was rode hard and put up wet! Just out of curiosity, what kits did you use for it and the TBD? Very nice trio- four-oh  job on all three!

Mike

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Very nice Wildcat- can't  top what the others have said, Russ, but ditto! That F2A sure looks like it was rode hard and put up wet! Just out of curiosity, what kits did you use for it and the TBD? Very nice trio- four-oh  job on all three!

Mike

Thanks Mike, the Buffalo is the Tamiya kit, modified a bit and the TBD is the Great Wall kit

Here`s some links to both if you`re interested 🙂

Thanks again,

Cheers Russ