How to paint ship deck.

Massimodels

Hello, 

I’ve been making ship models for some time but have never perfected a method of painting the deck while also taking into account the raised deck detail.

With an airbrush, what’s the best way to paint the deck while also being able to achieve clean looking painted raised deck detail?

Thanks!

Personally, I find the best way for larger scale ships is by spraying the deck and then masking it off with masking film except for the raised detail. A very long job but worth it in the end. Alternatively, paint the raised detail, cover with masking tape or liquid mask, then paint the deck. For small scale ships I would spray the deck and dry-brush the raised detail.

Dave

• Like 2

I do as Dave says - paint the deck colour first then mask off. It's a long job but made much easier with e.g. Infini Model Easy Cutting Mat to cut your masking material into useful size strips and blocks, which I lay down with tweezers. Once you get over the fact that it's going to take a while and just do it using small bits of tape or film it's surprisingly easy.

• Like 2