EB-57E Canberra - 4677th DSES

A dear family friend was the Maintenance Officer for the 4677th Defense Systems Evaluation Squadron in the early 1970's and I knew I had to build a B-57 Canberra for him. The 4677th traveled around the US flying their EB-57's modified with Electronic Warfare gear against interceptor units to evaluate continental air defenses. He has shared many fascinating stories with me about his time with the Canberra.

IMG_20210705_101838

It's the 1/72 Airfix kit with the nose of the Italeri grafted on the front of the fuselage.

The rather drawn out WIP can be found here:

My friend impressed me with tales of the explosive engine starter cartridges and so I had to include the soot stains on the left side of the fuselage.

IMG_20210705_101431

IMG_20210705_101440

IMG_20210705_101317

Apparently, the B-57 was a known tail sitter, and despite copious amounts of nose weight this one is too. Apparently an extendable stand was attached to the rear fuselage if the aircraft was going to be on the ground any length of time in order to prevent mishaps.

IMG_20210705_101558

IMG_20210705_101826

IMG_20210705_101230

IMG_20210705_102151

I have to thank @canberra kid, @Gene K and @Andrew D Jolly Rogers guy for sharing their Canberra knowledge.

• Like 56
  • Thanks 2

Nicely done, Cookie! The Canberra had to be one of the most versatile military aircraft ever built. So many versions - I like this one, and a nice tribute to your friend.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is one very nice looking EB-57E Cookie, I just love it! Having watched the WIP I knew we were going to get a treat.

I've seen pictures of the black smoke from the starter cartridges, so that is a neat touch.

Fantastic job.

Terry

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

That is just gorgeous, really lovely finish!! 

I'll happily second that!

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

I forgot to mention that the finish is Vallejo Metal Color, a paint I'm becoming more and more impressed with.

Cookie, I recently used that on a 1/48 Meteor build for a friend, and I too am finding it rather good too!

Terry

• Like 1

Nice.

My Dad joined the 4677th while they were in Westover AFB and then transferred to the 17th DSES at Malmstrom AFB.  I have plans to do birds in my normal 72nd scale and 48th.  We shall see how they turn out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...