Adrian's little Kelloggs SRN4

Adrian Hills

Playing with SRN4 Hovercrafts doing such things as making the Airfix 1/144 Princess Margaret to look like it was when I flew in it in 1999 (see my other build in this group) and buying a set of seats from the now scrapped hovercraft I thought I'd go a bit further. On ebay a chap was selling the "Six inch" snaptite kit which was released by Kelloggs and could be purchased if you saved enough cereal box tops. My brother and I had the hydrofoil and the oil rig, but I didn't know they did an SRN4 !!  

So here it is. I will be doing this also as the Princess Margaret but when it was operated by Seaspeed in their white and blue livery.

IMG_4851

IMG_4850

IMG_4849

As you can see it is quite basic but I'm sure with a lick of paint it will be quite presentable 🙂

• Like 12

There has been much discussion elsewhere about the fact that Airfix got their British Rail symbol the wrong way round. Below is an image of the hovercraft I will be modelling and below that a comparison of the decal sheets from Airfix and Kelloggs !

srn4 seaspeed calais (2)-38

IMG_4856[8395]

• Like 7

There's an easy way round that one,if the decal is a single colour with no background then placing it face down will do the job.I did that with the 2 in the serial number on my Mustang build earlier this year,it started life as a 5.

cb1981ee-7144-4dca-908c-87e6d6f8bf78.JPG

Both of your hovercraft are looking good old fruit,keep up the good work :speak_cool: .

• Like 6

Alex, a two from a five. Brilliant lateral thinking.

I am now considering matt or gloss finishes when all I really want is subdued satin/matt. Will do the white on the little one first as that can be repainted more easily.

• Like 3

Have assembled the few parts for the bottom of the hovercraft. Actually with a little bit of filler the fit wasn't too bad. I will paint the white here as well as on the separate roof and then the black for the skirt. This method means I can then paint the blue stripe over the windows and have a nice clean demarcation with the roof added.

IMG_4892[8442]

So that I do one session of painting with white I am also preparing the parts for my other build of the Airfix kit. This image gives a good comparison of relative sizes

IMG_4889

• Like 9

Just had a serious session of painting white. To get a satin sheen I simply combined a shed load of Gunze Gloss into the flat white and it seems to have worked. I still have plenty left already mixed up for toughing up so hope finish will remain consistent.

Here you see the little Kelloggs six incher next to the bigger Airfix

IMG_4904[8450]

The roof, engines and fins

IMG_4905[8451]

The image below gives a good indication of the demarcation of the dark sections on the roof. On various side images the pylons holding the engines are a distinct light grey, not white.

s-l1600

• Like 5

Thought the blue might bleed a bit under the masking tape. 

IMG_4935[8517]

The image below isn't too close up as it does look a bit 'pony'. Nothing us modellers can't fix. As the kit is white underneath I will scrape the offending blue off as trying to disguise it would be worse. 

IMG_4937[8513]

• Like 4

She's looking good old fruit :goodjob:

Having just seen the interior photo in your other thread would a medium dark blue grey do for the windows with a salty spray gloss coat over the top? It wouldn't be as stark a contrast with the outside colour and less likely to draw the eye as readily.Just a thought.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...