Adrian Warburton's Martin Maryland - An exercise in distress.

Adrian Warburton's absolutely battered martin Maryland from his time on Malta. The real aircraft was an absolute shed, and so is my version of it. 

P1050210.jpg

P1060575.jpg

P1060579.jpg

P1060580.jpg

P1060576.jpg

I had a go at just about every weathering and battering technique that I could think of, short of taking it outside and shooting it. Quite happy with the result apart from losing the nose glazing and having to cobble up something out of the spares box. Pleased with the home made decals, not so pleased with a masking leak causing fogging in the turret.

The kit is the Eastern Express / Frog rebox and is showing its age. It was also quite badly warped so i doubt that this one would fly in a straight line, which could probably be said of the real thing.

• Like 16

I don't think that this is from his early time on Malta, because be got it from North Africa some time after Operation Torch in November 1942.  The aircraft is showing signs, like other French a/c in 1940, of being hastily camouflaged without primer.  Shabby yes, but had it been really battered and worn it would no longer have been fast enough to carry out its role.

Nicely done model, though. 

He used it prior to the battle of Taranto in November 1940.

Flew it through the harbour, twice, at mast height gaining many photographs, bullet holes and a bit of rigging wrapped around the tail wheel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Warburton

Picture

Arguably the most underrated pilot the RAF ever had. 

You're not wrong! 

I've read Warburton's War and Fortress Malta. He certainly was a character. There is a documentary about him too that you can find on-line.