REM's Ilyushin Il-62M

Hello all. This is not another Rock star's aircraft by the way.

I needed to do something a little simpler than my last project which was a vacform Felixstowe F.2A. I was booked into a Group Build (Unarmed) and I thought that this Ilyushin would be an ideal candidate. The build log, complete with a number of self-inflicted errors, is here if you would like a laugh look:

This is what I ended up with:

DSCN7498 (2)

DSCN7499 (2)

DSCN7500 (2)

DSCN7501 (2)

DSCN7502

And to compare it with the VC-10 which it so looks like:

DSCN7494

All in all, this kit certainly did it's job, it was a lot easier than the Felixstowe, but it still gave me things to think about.

Oh yes, the reason it is REM's Il-62M is that it was operated by the Russian Emergencies Ministry.

Thanks for looking,

Ray

• Like 40
  • Thanks 1

A real stunner.

I always loved the IL-62 and you did a magnificent job here.

Compared to the VC-10,she's quite a beast.The engines are enormous

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ray S said:

Oh yes, the reason it is REM's Il-62M is that...

Decent band, but ever since the Reagan/Thatcher era I've suspected that Stipe fellow may have been a bit of a communist sympathiser.  Having a four-engine Ilyushin at his disposal to jet off to a dacha in rural Georgia stands to reason.  🤔

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Absolutely incredible work! This had got to be one of the USSR's best looking aircraft. Which kit is the VC10?

@Adam Poultney, the VC-10 was the Airfix K2 Tanker version, which I sort of modified to a C.Mk1K (ish), and did a build log here if you would like to see it:

It was great fun, and was also my first major attempt at re-scribing. Crumbs, was it only November last year? I thought it was longer ago than that!

Thanks to all who have looked and liked and commented too! It is all very much appreciated.

Ray

21 hours ago, Ray S said:

Oh yes, the reason it is REM's Il-62M is that it was operated by the Russian Emergencies Ministry.

Just a nitpick for clarity... it's actually Ministry of Emergency Situations - in Russian MChS :- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministry_of_Emergency_Situations_(Russia)

They operate most versions of Russian aircraft (but sadly, no longer the Il-62) - some of my pics...

Yak-42D

spacer.png

IL-76TD

spacer.png

Be-299ChS

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Fantastic model of the Il-62 BTW ......:worthy:

Ken

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Flankerman said:

Just a nitpick for clarity... it's actually Ministry of Emergency Situations - in Russian MChS

Hello @Flankerman, I hope you did not mind, but I just played with the words for fun, I could not think of anything to work with MChS!

They are great photographs, and there seems to be quite a difference in those red/orange stripes along the fuselage.

Thanks all for the comments,

Ray

Very good model! Congratulations!

For me the Il-62M is a pretty creepy airplane as - as a teenager - I witnessed the Polish Airline LOT Il-62M SP-LBG crash in Warsaw. I will never forget the mixed smell of naphta and burned human flesh.